Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Night time Coughing
Night time Coughing
I've successfully been on CPAP therapy for 1.5 years for UARS. I also have asthma and take a steroid puffer daily plus Singulair. In that time I've had a few colds, asthma flare-ups etc and no problems tolerating CPAP therapy. For the last 2 months however I've been waking up almost nightly with coughing spells triggered by CPAP. It is a dry "itchy" cough and it stops if I take the mask off and starts almost immediately when I put the mask back on. I generally have been getting about 4 hours of mask use per night. Sometimes, my puffer helps resolve it. I'm washed all my bedding, my mattress and pillows have dust mite covers. My humidity is as high as I can get it without having "rain out" and I have a heated hose. I feel I'm an old pro at managing my asthma but this is really stumping me. I'm not having daytime asthma symptoms and am doing my usual gym, cardio workouts, etc. Any suggestions? TIA! Let me know if there is information you need from me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Night time Coughing
If you haven't already done so, try reducing (or doing without) the humidifier for a test. Considering that the problem stops as soon as you start breathing room air, which is likely much dryer than the humidified air you get from the flow generator, that seems like a logical thing to try. Using a humidifier may turn out to be a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation for you.

Stick around for other comments and perhaps someone can chime in that has been there and done that.

Best regards,

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi allielb83,
You might try turning your humidity back a notch or two and see if that will help.
Hang in there for more ideas and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Might have seemed obvious but I didn't try turning the humidity down yet. Smile I'll do that tonight but am keen to hear other input too Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to give you some input but you took away all of my input with the things that you have already done. I think that Surferdude's suggestion makes a lot of sense. There may be a sweet spot for above and below which is not so good so if turning the humidifier off causes a problem, I would suggest that you try some intermediate humidity settings too.

Good luck and I will keep thinking about this to see if I can come up with something else.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thought I'd post my update in case others are struggling: I cut the humidity almost in half last night. I also noticed a pocket of dust/dog hair in behind the unit (Whoops) so I dusted well, although my filter is new. One or both of these changes resulted in success and no coughing last night! Hopefully it keeps up and I can catch back up on missed sleep. Thanks for the suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
WhooHoo..Thanks for the update. I love a success story!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Allie,
Well glad you got some improvement there. I was going to say before you said changing settings helped...(as a fellow Asthmatic with well controlled asthma and C-pap) What changed 2 months ago?

Also even though cpap seems to bring it on, could be just something aggravated by the c-pap or even night-time air changes...something not asthma like but lung flora and fauna.

Also, you mentioned finding the dog hair, I do hope you don't have the machine on the floor, that is the worst for getting particulate stuff into it so I hear...have you tried one of those special filter thingies they cell at Vendor no 1 (and other's I'm sure) that has additional filter external to the machine? I've considered getting on for extra measure.

It does seem odd that a temp/hose/humidity setting that has always worked, would stop working for you all the sudden.

Have you started using a different scent/brand of soap to clean parts? Might you consider using Control II stuff to be sure nothing is growing in the tubing/hose etc? (That said the control II stuff has a scent apparently and I myself worry that it would bother me as I'm scent sensitive.

Hope you get complete end to the problem!

Susan

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much TheManseHen, for the thoughtful response. I really can't think of any external factors that changed two months ago (we don't even have a real tree at Xmas), I racked by brain all along! It really only occurred with the mask on. I have some endocrine stuff going on with med changes for that and my body has been through a lot (including my hair fall out uuugh), so could be related to that. None the less, the humidity change helped as I'm going on night two with no coughing.
I don't have the machine on the floor- that would be BAD and a recipe for disaster wouldn't it! Its on a dresser thing I have that I rigged an open shelf on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 04:57 PM)allielb83 Wrote: Thanks so much TheManseHen, for the thoughtful response. I really can't think of any external factors that changed two months ago (we don't even have a real tree at Xmas), I racked by brain all along! It really only occurred with the mask on. I have some endocrine stuff going on with med changes for that and my body has been through a lot (including my hair fall out uuugh), so could be related to that. None the less, the humidity change helped as I'm going on night two with no coughing.
I don't have the machine on the floor- that would be BAD and a recipe for disaster wouldn't it! Its on a dresser thing I have that I rigged an open shelf on.

Sounds like you have done all the right stuff. So glad the humidifier reduction has helped. I'll have to remember that if I hit an odd period of cough etc.

Susan AKA The Hen.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,221 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.