Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

WorryWart About My Mask
RE: WorryWart About My Mask
Well, as far as full face masks go, they seem to have a bad reputation even from people that have never tried them. It really is worth giving them a try -- you may be pleasantly surprised.

My daughter had just started apap last summer (she's the one that encouraged me to be tested) and while I was waiting for my machine, she let me test out her mask. It was a ResMed F10, and was very comfortable. The cushion part felt soft and I had no problems with it. Of course that was only a short test, lying on the floor of my living room.

Sadly the DME didn't have that mask available when I went in, only the F20 (and that was not comfortable, for me, at all). I really should give the F10 another try, although I like the P10 (pillow) and the Simplus (FFM) so much that I don't really need another mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turned in the Airfit P10 mask and picked up a Dreamware mask.  I'm really encouraged that it does not directly touch that sensitive right nostril, but a few nights with it will tell the true tale.

I asked the girl if one of those nasal masks, that seal over the bridge of nose, down the cheeks and above the top lip might be good.  She said probably not as the bridge of my nose, where it was originally broken, would be very sensitive and probably could not tolerate it.  Spect she is right.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that is the same problem that I have with nasal masks -- my nose (after being broken & repaired) is just too sensitive to tolerate it.

The Dreamware is really nice! I hope it works well for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2018, 03:25 PM)Snorzz Wrote: Don't know, just thought full face mask would be harder to seal and more of a hassle.  I'm 80 yrs old and don't really care about marks on the face---prob couldn't distinguish them from the wrinkles already there.

This may not be true for you or many others. There are a number of full face mask users on this forum that have few problems if any. I use the AirfitF20. It was easy to adjust and almost never requires readjusting. It rarely leaks even when I change positions. It is very comfortable. The straps do leave some light marks on my face but I have no marks or irritation around my mouth and nose. I'm not saying it's the right mask for you but it is possible to find good full face masks.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
This goes to show that the best mask for you (anyone) is the one that works!!!
Masks MUST be tried, under pressure and in sleeping position, and finally overnight.

Sleep-well
Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, the Dreamware mask was not satisfactory for me-----dislodging when I turned over on my side, if tightened enough to stop this, it made my nose so sore I couldn't stand it---pressing in too much.

Plan B for me:  Take back my old P10 pillows mask and buy a full face mask for backup in case I get bloody sores in the right nostril.  I think the P10 is the most unobtrusive mask I can find--- never bothers when I turn from side to back and reverse.  The Medigy girl said I probably need to change the pillows insert in the mask each 2 weeks where most people can go for over a month.  Will try that too.
Post Reply Post Reply
For Plan B, I highly recommend looking at fitting guides for the FFM's you will be considering so that you have an idea of which size you should be before going to the DME. Although your DME sounds pretty good, from what you've written.

Be aware that the cushion for the AirFit F20 (silicon version) has a rigid part that comes down on either side of your nose (it is like the wall of the cushion in one area is not soft and flexible like the rest of it). Pay attention to how this feels, considering the sensitivities you have with your nose. For me, it was intolerable.

Best of luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Use Lansinoh on your nostril during the day to help with the nostril soreness/broken skin. After a period of adjustment, your nares will get used to the P10 and will not get sore anymore. At least they didn't for me.

Also, ensure that you are not over tightening the P10. It really does not need to be overly tight at all. If you like how the P10 fits, I would encourage you to give it a bit more time and use Lansinoh often.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,427 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,835 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,534 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.