Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No Apneas reported
No Apneas reported
I have been on CPAP for over a year now and have always had trouble tolerating it. I stopped using it for 3 months and began again this week. I have noticed that my machine doesn't show any interventions at all. It is like I no longer have apnea. I know that I do, but just nothing going on. I have lost some weight, but I was never really that overweight. So I am wondering can apnea get better over time or am I just having a good week. In the past I have noticed using SH software my machine would have to intervene several times a night to keep me breathing normally, now there are none of these interventions to report. Everyday I get the smiley face with all zero's down the line as far as events that it reports. If I am doing that well I would rather not use it anymore. I may have to take another sleep test to make sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No Apneas reported
(04-12-2016, 11:43 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: I have been on CPAP for over a year now and have always had trouble tolerating it. I stopped using it for 3 months and began again this week. I have noticed that my machine doesn't show any interventions at all. It is like I no longer have apnea. I know that I do, but just nothing going on. I have lost some weight, but I was never really that overweight. So I am wondering can apnea get better over time or am I just having a good week. In the past I have noticed using SH software my machine would have to intervene several times a night to keep me breathing normally, now there are none of these interventions to report. Everyday I get the smiley face with all zero's down the line as far as events that it reports. If I am doing that well I would rather not use it anymore. I may have to take another sleep test to make sure.

Did you compare SleepyHead to ResScan just to be sure?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea, and even that crappy one that resmed has my air. It shows an event, but it was me drying the hose out using the machine. Then I stopped the air with my finger for a minute so it reported that as an event. It shows all is good and my pressure is fairly low at a max of 9. So not sure what is going on. I lost 10 ponds of weight but I doubt that did anything. It is odd how I can go from having several events a night to none. If this keeps up I am going to have another sleep test to see if I need the machine at all. I spent a lot of money on it, but I suppose I can sell it if I am good now. Doesn't make sense at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 12:02 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Yea, and even that crappy one that resmed has my air. It shows an event, but it was me drying the hose out using the machine. Then I stopped the air with my finger for a minute so it reported that as an event. It shows all is good and my pressure is fairly low at a max of 9. So not sure what is going on. I lost 10 ponds of weight but I doubt that did anything. It is odd how I can go from having several events a night to none. If this keeps up I am going to have another sleep test to see if I need the machine at all. I spent a lot of money on it, but I suppose I can sell it if I am good now. Doesn't make sense at all.

BTW, Congrats on your weight loss.

You said you didn't use it for a few months...what made you decide to start up again?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I have heart beat issues and figured it was due to apnea so I started therapy again, but it really hasn't helped that, it would seem it is due in part to caffeine use and cigarettes. If I stopped smoking I would probably be ok. That seems to be my biggest issue, so time to quit. If it gets me free of my Resmed machine I will be happy. Not that it is such a big deal to be on CPAP, but I struggle with it every night. Still after one year I still yank the mask off after a few hours, but during that time I haven't noticed any events and before I usually had several that I would see. Now I get the smiley face every morning. It is good that nothing is happening but I used to look forward to checking my stats and if there are none then why use it? So if this keeps up for the next couple of weeks I will have a new sleep test done.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your CPAP machine doesn't intervene so much as it simply measures flow rate. When flow rate measurements indicate you've stopped breathing for 10 seconds, an event such as an apnea is scored and your AHI will not be zero. Even someone not diagnosed with sleep apnea will have events, just fewer than 5 per hour. The fact that you are having none indicates a problem with your machine. I suggest you unplug it for a few minutes and then power it back up again
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just realized something. I have been on Testosterone replacement for several years and when I had my sleep test done I was at 1,500 testosterone level which was too high. I am now down to 300 which is kinda low, but I am not having any apnea's at this time and I read that TRT can cause sleep Apnea to be worse in those with it. So that being said maybe I don't have a bad case of OSA due to lower T. Just a thought but it makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adoniscmj, I was wondering about your leak rate. Is is high? If you are having a high leak rate, it's possible the Cpap cannot keep up with the flow and miss scoring apneas. Just a thought.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 12:39 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Your CPAP machine doesn't intervene so much as it simply measures flow rate. When flow rate measurements indicate you've stopped breathing for 10 seconds, an event such as an apnea is scored and your AHI will not be zero. Even someone not diagnosed with sleep apnea will have events, just fewer than 5 per hour. The fact that you are having none indicates a problem with your machine. I suggest you unplug it for a few minutes and then power it back up again

I know what you mean, but it has shown some mild spikes in pressure but nothing that was classified as an apnea. I have also noticed that the pressure steadily decreases as the night goes on until it is at the minimum set pressure. It is set to 9.00 max and 8.00 min. It goes down and just stays there most of the night. Go figure. I will try to reset it to make sure though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2016, 12:43 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Adoniscmj, I was wondering about your leak rate. Is is high? If you are having a high leak rate, it's possible the Cpap cannot keep up with the flow and miss scoring apneas. Just a thought.

No leaks at all. The machine tells me when I have a substantial leak and SH doesn't show a leak either. It is perplexing. I have to say I have been getting some of the best sleep lately without the machine. I wake feeling rested and energetic. Now that I use the machine I wake up tired because I hate the feel of the mask so it is tough for me to sleep with. I know I have OSA, but maybe it is mild now because of the lost weight and lower testosterone level.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 265 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,287 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.