Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No Central Apnoea Event Line in OSCAR for my machine
No Central Apnoea Event Line in OSCAR for my machine
Hi

I have a ResMed Aircurve 10 CS PaceWave. This machine is specifically designed to treat Central Sleep Apnoeas (CSA) in addition to Obstructive (OSA) and Mixed Sleep Apnoeas.

However whilst in Sleepyhead a line was provided for CSAs under the name, as best I understood "CA" but in OSCAR there is no such event flag or equivalent that I can see.

I have no doubt there is a good reason for this, but I cannot determine what it is. Can someone who knows please let me know.

Thanks
Dream
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No Central Apnoea Event Line in OSCAR for my machine
your machine only reports ua or unclassified apnea. for reasons unknown (to me) there's a line in oscar for oa (and not ca) with asv but you shouldn't expect any entries there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. It doesn't seem make sense to me that the CAs are not reported, nor the OAs, But I can see what you are saying when looking through the data over the last couple of weeks. So it seems the machine is only reporting Hypopnoeas (H) and Unclassified Apnoeas (UA).

Is someone able to say why a machine that is specifically designed to address Central Apnoeas, OAs does not report on it?

I initially trialled the Resmed Airsense 10. That machine is not designed to address address CAs but it nonetheless reported on them.
Post Reply Post Reply
idk why. some have said it's because asv is good at treating ca. maybe so, plus I suspect that it's also because there aren't really any settings to mess around with to address ca. it's all done automatically by algorithm.
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand that the machine is so good at treating the Central Apneas that all are treated and therefore none exist. I'm not sure I totally believe that but . . .
Post Reply Post Reply
CA: if there were any to flag, it's under the UA line. OA: under the OA line. Your ASV or CS Pacewave should be very good at attacking all apnea (obstructive and central).

You will observe a 0.0 AHI at all times unless you turn it on.

If you do turn the machine on, there may be events to report, but not very many. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anything flagged as UA didn't respond to the pressure support settings, and is assumed to be obstructive. This will result in increase EPAP with ASVauto mode. Just post the chart, and you wlll quickly learn what it means.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
resmed asv reports all apnea, both oa and ca, as ua. for some reason oscar dropped the line for ca but still has the line for oa; neither applies with this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've lost the direct link but there was a Resmed document which says something on the lines of: You need to set PSmax to 15. Then the machine will totally eliminate central apneas and any events that do occur can be assumed to be obstructive".

The reason they don't report on the type of apnea relates back to the use of the forced oscillation technique in lower range machines: A cessation of breathing is detected. Wait a couple of seconds to see if it's real. Then apply a series of small pressure pulses for 4 seconds to determine if the event is central or obstructive. This all takes time. With the ASV it doesn't wait for a breathing cessation - if it sees a reduction in flow rate it automatically starts jacking up the pressure support. If breathing stops, it doesn't wait to determine what kind of apnea it is - the machine reacts instantly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Hi

You have all been very helpful, and I greatly appreciate all your responses, including the sarcastic one Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Overview Line Graph Jan Flikweert 15 154 Today, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  OSCAR [green line but not red line] liebano 2 203 03-26-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: liebano
  manual event logging for oscar capman 2 189 03-07-2024, 02:06 PM
Last Post: capman
  Intermittent use of C-PAP machine and OSCAR monitoring Thanassis 6 313 02-27-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Thanassis
  OSCAR has never seen my machine's data before! PappaJoe 9 557 02-14-2024, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR code and event flags? PeaceLoveAndPizza 0 443 12-12-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Event type display MarkChap 8 968 09-16-2023, 10:21 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.