Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No Prescription Needed?
Question 
No Prescription Needed?
I was following a link that popped up on my computer and it was from Supplier #30 regarding the F&P Brevida mask.  In the order area it says "prescription needed" but then tells you how to avoid this and buy without a prescription:

Prescription required. To purchase without a prescription, please purchase the following items:
Commercial Links Removed.
Brevida-Mask-System-Without-Headgear $74.00
Brevida-Replacement-Headgear $31.00

That's kind of an end run around the fence, isn't it?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No Prescription Needed?
It's legal. The prescription requirement for a mask is crazy anyway. Nobody ever overdosed from a mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you can purchase mask parts separately to equal a complete mask with no prescription needed.

If you purchase a “complete” mask system, then a prescription is needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not advocating for strict enforcement of the prescription! Seems a little weird to me that they are needed, but to get around that it is so simple.....
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2018, 11:32 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I'm not advocating for strict enforcement of the prescription!  Seems a little weird to me that they are needed, but to get around that it is so simple.....

The mask is a prescription medical device.  

The parts are, well, parts.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
At least one supplier provides an option for prescription information, but then has a check box "I am purchasing a mask without a prescription"
Personally, I've purchased a dozen or more complete kits (including "fitment kits" with 3 mask sizes) without issue. I've only encountered one supplier that required a prescription, and only one that offered the above option.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know someone who just bought a new bilevel machine without a prescription. Saved alot of $.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Except my initial machine and supplies, I have bought everything else at amzn. No prescription needed. Ever!!
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I wanted to try the dreamwear nasal mask and also keep and use my original amara mask if I had a bad cold or as backup....and of course there are those medicare rules.  I bought (assembled) my nasal mask for less than $50 with a combination of Amazon and EBAY....everything sealed in original packages.  No problems...no prescription required...until....

You've gotta love Medicare. I tried to get some standard replacement parts from the folks who dispensed my APAP, mask, etc.  When I told them I wanted replacements for the dreamwear nasal mask instead of my original Amera they said my prescription said full mask and they couldn't give me replacement parts for a nasal mask without a new prescription...or medicare might not pay them.  I got the prescription and sent it to them...but now they were missing a medicare required letter saying that the APAP therapy was "helping" (without that letter, they wouldn't send any replacement parts for either mask)...so back to the doctor again for a letter.  Eventually....after 5 months....I think I'm set up for automatic replacement deliveries.

The moral of this long post is....if you are on your own $'s, buy where you get the best deal and don't be afraid to mix and match suppliers or assemble your own masks out of parts.  If you are on Medicare and want Medicare to pay for your supplies....well, make sure you get a new prescription if you change mask type.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe it is a good idea to have a cavalier attitude about advertising how it is possible to get around some of the prescription rules. I would post why, but that probably belongs in the "Off Topic Forum"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 86 Yesterday, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 77 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,017 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 260 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 271 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 934 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.