Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No Ramp Symbol?
No Ramp Symbol?
Hi,

First post, apology if it is in the wrong place. I did a quick search but no go.

Anyway, I have just bought a new Resmed 9 Auto with Humidifier but it seems I have no ramp symbol. I can see the home symbol and the humidifier symbol. I have read the instruction but it only tells me how to set up the ramp not that I need to set up the ramp because i was prescribed a range of 6-14 but just out of curiosity why i cant see the ramp symbol? Or did i missed something? The manual was very vague.

Just want to learn more about my new machine :grin:.

Note - the whole experience of seeing the sleep doctor, doing the sleep test, and so forth, and finally buying a machine have been a costly experience but having said that I believe during my 6 weeks trial. It has helped me. Not a OMG change but a small change. Thus, I like to think this is a good investment and hopefully, more progress can occur.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No Ramp Symbol?
Could be the clinician who set the machine up turned off patient access to the ramp in the clinician's menu. Have you got the clinical menu for your machine?

Also, it's important for you to establish whether you've got the S9 AutoSet or the S9 Escape Auto. They are different machines with different data capabilities. The AutoSet is the better of the two machines in terms of the data recorded.
Post Reply Post Reply
I must be blind cause I cant see an edit button. I would also like to ask how long do these machines lasts generally? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2013, 09:13 AM)robysue Wrote: Could be the clinician who set the machine up turned off patient access to the ramp in the clinician's menu. Have you got the clinical menu for your machine?

I dont have the clinical menu unfortunately.

Also, it's important for you to establish whether you've got the S9 AutoSet or the S9 Escape Auto. They are different machines with different data capabilities. The AutoSet is the better of the two machines in terms of the data recorded.

On the receipt it says just S9 Autoset and at the back of the machine it only said S9.

It cost me over 2000 AUD. Not sure what is the price difference between the Auto and Escape.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, follow the instructions at http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual to get a copy of the clinician's manual for your machine. And then read through it carefully. It will teach you how to get into the clinician's menu. That will allow you to find out whether the clinician who set the ramp up locked you out of the ramp settings. While you're in the clinician's menu, make sure SleepQuality is set to ON instead of USAGE. That way your machine will record full efficacy data to the SD card AND you'll be able to get at the summary data through the machine's LCD without getting into the clinician's menu. It's a real convenience to be able to just check the LCD for the numbers in the morning if you don't want to take the time to download all the data.

Second, the expected lifetime of these machines is at least 5 years. Most US insurance companies (and US Medicare) have been willing to pay for a new machine every 5 years, but many are starting to reevaluate that since many 5 year old machines are going strong. There are users who have had the same machine for as long as 10 years, but most people do tend to upgrade their equipment every 5 years or so simply for comfort reasons. A lot can change in 5 years in terms of the comfort technology.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi boar,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's GREAT to hear that you want to learn about your new machine, you have a good attitude and that goes a long way toward your therapy. CPAP can take a while before you notice much change. Some notice it right away and others, it takes a bit. Your "OMG change," may be more gradual but it does get better.
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2013, 09:23 AM)boar Wrote: On the receipt it says just S9 Autoset and at the back of the machine it only said S9.
It should be an AutoSet. What does the label on the machine right above the big round on/off button on the left of the blower unit say? (I'm talking about the push button, not the big knob on the right that twists)

Post Reply Post Reply
@Trish6hudred. I am sure it will be "OMG change" sooner or later. Thanks.

@Robysue, yeah it says Autoset. Thanks for the link. Will read through it. The sleep tech set everything up and only explained the basic stuff to me but as I said, i would like to learn more about the machine considering I spent a lot of money on it. The sleep tech should have already set it to the SleepQuality as the sleep doctor wants to see the data in 6 months. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2013, 09:25 AM)robysue Wrote: Second, the expected lifetime of these machines is at least 5 years. Most US insurance companies (and US Medicare) have been willing to pay for a new machine every 5 years, but many are starting to reevaluate that since many 5 year old machines are going strong. There are users who have had the same machine for as long as 10 years, but most people do tend to upgrade their equipment every 5 years or so simply for comfort reasons. A lot can change in 5 years in terms of the comfort technology.

It makes sense to update at 5 years. Just like computers and smartphones, technology in these machines improves. The machines become smarter; and are able to operate with greater comfort as algorithms improve. My S8 machine has been cranking along for over 4 years; but, it's a dinosaur compared to most S9 machines.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2013, 09:40 AM)boar Wrote: The sleep tech should have already set it to the SleepQuality as the sleep doctor wants to see the data in 6 months. Thanks.
You want ensure "Sleep Quality" set to "ON" as shown here
[Image: s9-pic2.jpg]
S9 setup video http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Here is the links to the software http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 401 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 602 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,203 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 610 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Machine noise during ramp-up. rfkennard 0 412 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: rfkennard
  Reverse ramp feature? McPhearson99 9 973 01-01-2023, 04:02 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does machine kick In if you have apnea during ramp time Scott12579 4 1,060 08-21-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.