Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No events with at-home titration.Why does pressure increase?
RE: No events with at-home titration.Why does pressure increase?
(04-24-2015, 07:18 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: ...

I think you mean "<5", not ">5". You seem to have mixed up your "greater than (>)" with your "less than (<)".

You are quite correct.

Vision at this age (presbyopia) is not my strong suit. Today I was dealing with port numbers on a KVM and without exaggerating, I would say that the font they used on the legend was less than 1/64th of an inch high, black on black, probably equivalent to a font size of 2 on a normal VGA monitor. Had to get out a hand magnifier and a flashlight and wear cheaters. Not happy about this; I don't like to make mistakes when trying to help people.

I would gladly correct the post, but for some reason this forum does not allow editing the post after a certain time has elapsed.

Apologies for any confusion, but if anyone is confused by that, the rest probably will not really register anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
TyroneShoes,
Not to worry, I knew exactly what you meant. There's not too many people that post without errors, especially me! The Auto Correct feature makes me crazy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, don't worry about it TyroneShoes, I knew what you meant as well.

I have some good news regarding my doctor's appointment. There was a cancellation, so now I only have to wait 10 days to see him!
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:
I finally saw my doctor yesterday and he told me to do a two month trial on a CPAP machine. He said that the titration didn't tell him anything in terms of "diagnosis", but just gave him the pressure that I would need to use (9 cm H2O). It's clear that I don't have sleep apnea, but may still have UARS, which I haven't been tested specifically for. The doc seems to think that it would be easier for me to do the CPAP trial than to wait for a more advanced sleep test to test for UARS. Which I find kind of weird as an approach... but I guess makes some sense because that test would take many months of waiting for (unless I did it with a private establishment, where I'd have to pay $1500 out of pocket).

So I've been calling a bunch of equipment providers today and wow, this stuff is crazy expensive in Canada, even to just rent. I don't have insurance and it seems like it would make a lot of sense financially to get a used machine. What do you guys think of going this route?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 03:22 PM)jdip Wrote: So I've been calling a bunch of equipment providers today and wow, this stuff is crazy expensive in Canada, even to just rent. I don't have insurance and it seems like it would make a lot of sense financially to get a used machine. What do you guys think of going this route?
Been there, done that, I would get PRS1 Auto 560 from Supplier #2
"Suppliers List" link is at the top of the page

Post Reply Post Reply
Here in the US, you can often find good auto CPAP machines for $300 on Craigslist. I don't know how it is in Canada.

A number of people have gotten machines from US online CPAP sellers. Most of them won't ship outside the US, due to anti-competition restrictions from the manufacturers. Some people have had success with reshippers, or having the machine delivered to a friend in the US. I think some Canadians have also found it was worth their time to drive across the border and buy from a Craigslist buyer if they are close to the border.

There's a lot of info in my signature line at the bottom of the this post about which CPAP machines are good and which are bad.

Good luck.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 03:22 PM)jdip Wrote: Update:
I finally saw my doctor yesterday and he told me to do a two month trial on a CPAP machine. He said that the titration didn't tell him anything in terms of "diagnosis", but just gave him the pressure that I would need to use (9 cm H2O). It's clear that I don't have sleep apnea, but may still have UARS, which I haven't been tested specifically for. The doc seems to think that it would be easier for me to do the CPAP trial than to wait for a more advanced sleep test to test for UARS. Which I find kind of weird as an approach...

I agree with the doc, but it seems like an APAP, or automatic CPAP, would be able to continue to titrate pressure and give a better result than a bricked CPAP.

Were it me, I would get that, set it to straight 9 for two weeks, and then loosen up the high and low ends and see what happens. And what I mean by that is that I would parse the data using SleepyHead every day, and if I had questions I would come here for answers.

So I would get an APAP that works with SH and reports RDI, and other than the tweaks I have mentioned, follow the Dr's orders.

If it turns out to help, it will still be the best investment you can make in your health. If it turns out not to work, you can unload it on Craig's or Ebay and recoup much of the investment.

I am curious; we don't get a lot of posts about UARS, and I have not researched this to see what causes it and how effective xPAP is in treating it, so I hope others who know a bit more will share their expertise here.

A quick look at Wikipedia reveals:

"Treatment

Treatment for UARS is essentially the same as that for obstructive sleep apnea.

Behavioral modification

Behavioral modification includes getting at least 7–8 hours of sleep, avoiding sleeping in supine position (on the back), sleeping with head end of bed elevated and avoiding sedatives, alcohol and narcotics.
Positive airway pressure therapy

Positive airway pressure therapy is similar to that in obstructive sleep apnea and works by stenting the airway open from the pressure, thus reducing the airway resistance. Reimbursement for the positive airway pressure device (CPAP etc.) may be a concern in certain healthcare models.

Oral appliances

Oral appliances to protrude the tongue and mandible (lower jaw) forward are effective in reducing the airway resistance.
Surgery

Various surgical options including uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP), hyoid suspension, and linguloplasty to increase the dimensions of the upper airway and to reduce the collapsibility of the airway are viable treatment modalities for UARS.[4]
Prognosis

People with UARS usually respond to treatment with no long term sequelae."

So it appears that UARS is a kissing cousin to SA, with the distinction being that arousal sensitivity is higher.

I am also not clear on how it is "clear that I do not have sleep apnea". Do you have any data supporting that? an AHI, even from a one-night titration?

It seems that UARS arouses one before a blockage or partial blockage can be long enough to be considered an apnea, and if that will not desat you the way a longer, real apnea will, it still arouses you, which can have some of the same symptoms and dire consequences of SA. Otherwise, UARS is pretty close to SA, and could be considered "stealth SA" because apneas are not flagged.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Zonk said, get a PRS1 60 series auto machine model No 560xx or561xx in international markets. This machine reports RERAs as well which is a better proxy for UARS.

In Resmed land, an "Airsense 10 Autoset for Her" model also reports RERAs.

Any other machine will give you less information and make it harder for you to diagnose or tweak therapy settings.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2015, 08:42 PM)AshSF Wrote: As Zonk said, get a PRS1 60 series auto machine model No 560xx or561xx in international markets. This machine reports RERAs as well which is a better proxy for UARS.

In Resmed land, an "Airsense 10 Autoset for Her" model also reports RERAs.

Any other machine will give you less information and make it harder for you to diagnose or tweak therapy settings.

RERA is good for possible UARS. Flow limitation graphs are also useful.

However, I suspect that for UARS, for many people, just trying different minimum pressures or even different fixed pressures and observing how you feel may be a useful technique for many people.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 12:38 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Vision at this age (presbyopia) is not my strong suit. Today I was dealing with port numbers on a KVM and without exaggerating, I would say that the font they used on the legend was less than 1/64th of an inch high, black on black, probably equivalent to a font size of 2 on a normal VGA monitor. Had to get out a hand magnifier and a flashlight and wear cheaters. Not happy about this; I don't like to make mistakes when trying to help people.

If you have a smartphone, you may find the camera app can help on things like this. You might want to look into the settings for a "macro" mode to get close. There are even some magnifier/microscope apps.

The flash and photo function can also be quite useful.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 78 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 339 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 73 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.