Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No humidifier
No humidifier
I used to think because I had nasal congestion I needed humidity to keep secretions loose and easy to clear, but there was never anything that liquefied to then be coughed or blown out. Someone mentioned she had less congestion without a humidifier. Darned if I didn't try it and find I did have less congestion without the humidity. Often I go to bed not breathing well through my nose, but find that after a minute the airflow with the CPAP clears out my nose and I breathe fine. It's a relief because I can now use a nasal mask with a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No humidifier
I don't use one during the summer since it is so humid here. I do in the winter due to the dry heat source we have. I also use it when I am having a cold or nasal allergies. Not as much as in the winter, but just enough to help keep everything from drying out.

And yes, as soon as I put the mask on, most congestion clears up. But less than a minute after waking, I am clogged back up again. This is with or without humidifier.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know of one person who has never used humification, but she's been on BiPAP since the machines were the size of a canister vacuum, when they didn't provide humidifiers.

Humidification truly is a personal thing. Many people prefer to use it all the time at some level. Some like passover (unheated) humidity during the summer. I've heard that some people put ice chips inside their humidifier (unheated), but I'm not sure if that really helps other than to make the air colder. Perhaps you are one of those fortunate few for whom humidification is unnecessary. That will probably make travel a lot easier for you!
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
SuperSleeper doesn't use a humidifier.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 05:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: SuperSleeper doesn't use a humidifier.

Yes, but SuperSleeper also uses nasal pillows at a high pressure without humidification. There are perhaps 7 people in the entire world that are capable of that feat! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 05:46 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(07-29-2013, 05:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: SuperSleeper doesn't use a humidifier.

Yes, but SuperSleeper also uses nasal pillows at a high pressure without humidification. There are perhaps 7 people in the entire world that are capable of that feat! :grin:
Same with the person I know face-to-face. She uses a nasal mask (not pillows) and has a pressure of 17|20 bipap. That's pretty hard-core CPAPing. Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
I do use nasal pillows with my S9 AutoSet with no humidification whatsoever... all the time. But my average (95%) pressure is around 14, I think, not super-high at least.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am finding the same thing. Usually (but not always) if my nose is stuffed up it will clear up when I start the machine. When I wake up my nose will be clear until I take the mask off then I get stuffed up.

Now I'm getting some nose bleed in the morning so I ordered a F &P HC150 today. I have a (Passover) humidifier and the thing does nothing as it has the same amount of water in it in the morning....evaporates nothing...do they ever work??? Don't know if the humidity will help or hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2013, 10:22 PM)Eddie702 Wrote: ... Now I'm getting some nose bleed in the morning so I ordered a F &P HC150 today. I have a (Passover) humidifier and the thing does nothing as it has the same amount of water in it in the morning....evaporates nothing...do they ever work??? Don't know if the humidity will help or hurt.
It is unfortunate that your nose is bleeding! I hope your new heated humidifier will help resolve the situation.

If you're noticing no change in the level of the water, it's because the air in your bedroom is already fairly saturated - humid. Perhaps you live near the sea? During the winter in Massachusetts, if you don't have steam heat, you'll probably have to fill the tank every night because the humidity will be very low.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 322 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 787 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 516 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.