Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No insurance
No insurance
I need to get a sleep study done. I am currently going to school, not working and have no insurance. I didn't know if there are free or low cost sleep studies in/around the Philadelphia area.

I am constantly tired, gasping for air in my sleep after I stop breathing, as well as snoring excessively loud. I am 28 years old and this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Sometimes I have been sleeping through school and appointments because I am so tired. I have been dealing with depression for a long time. Although depression can cause people to be tired, I truly believe I have sleep apnea. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No insurance
Have you checked to see if there are any free clinics near you? They usually have "arrangements" with other specialties and labs that cover most if not all of the costs. The equipment is another story. One that I'm currently dealing with as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cece,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 12:42 PM)cece Wrote: I need to get a sleep study done. I am currently going to school, not working and have no insurance. I didn't know if there are free or low cost sleep studies in/around the Philadelphia area.

I am constantly tired, gasping for air in my sleep after I stop breathing, as well as snoring excessively loud. I am 28 years old and this has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Sometimes I have been sleeping through school and appointments because I am so tired. I have been dealing with depression for a long time. Although depression can cause people to be tired, I truly believe I have sleep apnea. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

a lot of times, hospitals will have sleep labs and you can apply for indigent patient discounts at not for profit hospitals. hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 12:42 PM)cece Wrote: I need to get a sleep study done. I am currently going to school, not working and have no insurance. I didn't know if there are free or low cost sleep studies in/around the Philadelphia area.
Hi cece, welcome aboard
Isn't there some sort coverage for students. Talk to your GP, he/she might know of low cost sleep studies in your area or even a home study

FYI ... Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Pro...e_Care_Act

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 03:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
Hi cece, welcome aboard
Isn't there some sort coverage for students. Talk to your GP, he/she might know of low cost sleep studies in your area or even a home study

good suggestion zonk. soon anyone with out insurance will be fined from what I have been told.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2014, 03:17 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-07-2014, 03:09 PM)zonk Wrote:
Hi cece, welcome aboard

good suggestion zonk. soon anyone with out insurance will be fined from what I have been told.

Not always. Depending on income and whether or not the state you reside in expanded Medicaid under the PPACA, as well as other exemptions from the penalty can apply. The "affordable" plans on the exchange have extremely high deductibles that would far exceed the out of pocket costs for the sleep study and any penalty (if applicable).

Cece, I forgot to mention it in my first response but you should apply for Medicaid if you haven't already.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out (Google) the American Sleep Apnea Association. They have programs that may be of help to you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

until you can get this worked out, you can sleep in a chair or elevate your head and see if that helps. I am sure others will have other suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
" I am currently going to school, not working and have no insurance."

With the ACA you may qualify for a subsidy, or Medicaid. You will want to check your options.

Good luck,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Question on Sleep Study and Insurance mawaw1992 11 905 10-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.