Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No more than 2 hours at a time
No more than 2 hours at a time
I have been using Cpap for three years
And have not had a completely good night
Sleep. Much of the time even when everything
Is working just right I get 2 hours of sleep at a time.
After being in a fairly deep sleep I find myself
Mostly conscious the mask right in place.

This is the result no matter how tired I am.

My other experience is I may be asleep
For up to say 4 hours but when I awake
The mask is off. I don't recall taking it off
And the amount of time registered on the machine
is usually
Between 1-2 hours.

For me a good night sleep is stringing together
A couple two hour sessions with the mask
On and that is still not really enough.

Can anyone give me any insight as to
Why Cpap is only partially working for me, despite
Years of trying to master it.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No more than 2 hours at a time
CPAP therapy can't work if you aren't wearing the mask while you sleep.
You have to wear it every time you sleep.
All the time you sleep.

Try bobby pins to hold the straps in place.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2013, 08:23 PM)Harryl Wrote: I have been using Cpap for three years
And have not had a completely good night
Sleep. Much of the time even when everything
Is working just right I get 2 hours of sleep at a time.
For me a good night sleep is stringing together
A couple two hour sessions with the mask
On and that is still not really enough.

Can anyone give me any insight as to
Why Cpap is only partially working for me, despite
Years of trying to master it.

Hi Harryl,

I think we need more data.

Do you have a doctor you can work with to help find the problem(s)?

If you had a sleep study and/or titration, you can ask for copies of the full-length reports, including plots of the data. There may be important clues in the reports about what are the problems now, such as perhaps periodic limb movements or central apneas.

If it has been longer than a year or two since your last sleep study, would it be feasible to have another sleep study?

If you have a data-capable machine (not the Escape model) have you been able to look at plots of your data to see if your pressure is max'ing out, or if Central apneas or Obstructive apneas/hypopneas are awakening you?

If you develop a habit of turning off the machine for 15 seconds whenever you are awakened, this may help you identify awakenings in the data plots.

Perhaps you can keep a diary and pencil close to your bed or in the bathroom, and take notes whenever you are awakened or whenever you actually get up.

When you awaken, are you usually in a particular position, such as on your back or stomach? Is your heart pounding harder than normal?

You don't mention having any problems with Leaks, or dryness/humidity, or mask discomfort. Excessive Leak can prevent the machine from applying effective therapy. Excessive dryness can cause discomfort and awaken us.

I've heard that taking some sleep-inducing drugs (even some of the non-prescription ones) can prevent deep restorative sleep.

If you are able to obtain a recording pulse-oximeter (such as are available from Supplier #19 on our supplier list), I think it would likely provide important information about the problems you are experiencing. If the clock on the pulse-ox is carefully adjusted to match the clock in your machine, you would be able to easily match up events in the plots from the pulse-ox software and in plots from ResScan or SleepyHead.

Hang in there and don't give up searching for answers.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn
thanks for the thoughtful reply

I guess I will go back for a sleep study but my current doc has not solved these issues thus far and they are ongoing. I have dragged my feet a bit for this reason. I am contemplating getting a second opinion or switching docs to get a fresh perspective

I would like to have the oxygen readings because I sense that I am not getting enough oxygen. This may be why the mask comes off.

I am unaware of the mask coming off. I just wake up hours later having slept, but often not feeling that well for doing so.

I do use a very low dose of Clonazepam .5 each night to help with sleep. i have tried it with and without and i get more hours on the machine in a given night when i take it versus not

Sometimes I end up with dry mouth and sometimes not. I sleep with an external humidifier in the room and do not use the one with the machine. cleaner easier and seems to be effective.

I'm quite frustrated with the process as I feel I have really tried to master the machine but have fallen short of real benefits

is there a way to send you a direct email for a little more direct dialog.
i have a few questions you might be able to answer.

Harry

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2013, 06:47 AM)Harryl Wrote: is there a way to send you a direct email for a little more direct dialog.

Sure. Simply send me a Private Message (PM) or an email.

If we click on anyone's username we will be taken to that person's profile, where we can send them a PM or email, or look through all the Threads they have started, or look through all the posts they have made on any Thread.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As you can read above I am a 2n2 sleeper at first by choice, but now by habit. Here's what I have done.

The pressure on my Res 600 was 18(IPAP) and 13(EPAP) would blow the mask off my face. After a couple weeks of no sleep I talked to my doc, and then to the place where I got it. Neither would reduce the pressure. (I tend to think they don't know how!) I almost took it back, and wrote Medicare a letter.
Enough seeking for information, and I learned to do it myself. I set it to IPAP to 9 and EPAP to 6 (call Respritronics, they will help you out)
Then each week increased the numbers up to where I was comfortable. It has worked for me.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that fecal matter rolls down hill, and all you have to do start it high enough that it will hit the obstructive target with enough force to change their view.

(09-04-2013, 06:47 AM)Harryl Wrote: Vaughn
thanks for the thoughtful reply

I guess I will go back for a sleep study but my current doc has not solved these issues thus far and they are ongoing. I have dragged my feet a bit for this reason. I am contemplating getting a second opinion or switching docs to get a fresh perspective

I would like to have the oxygen readings because I sense that I am not getting enough oxygen. This may be why the mask comes off.

I am unaware of the mask coming off. I just wake up hours later having slept, but often not feeling that well for doing so.

I do use a very low dose of Clonazepam .5 each night to help with sleep. i have tried it with and without and i get more hours on the machine in a given night when i take it versus not

Sometimes I end up with dry mouth and sometimes not. I sleep with an external humidifier in the room and do not use the one with the machine. cleaner easier and seems to be effective.

I'm quite frustrated with the process as I feel I have really tried to master the machine but have fallen short of real benefits

is there a way to send you a direct email for a little more direct dialog.

Harry

Post Reply Post Reply
You don,t say which S9 model do you have .... AutoSet or Escape Auto (it would be helpful to update your user profile)
You find the model name next to stop/start button

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 203 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 249 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.