Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No need to breath???
No need to breath???
I just had the oddest thing happen. After a sleep of about 3 hours I got up and did a bathroom break and did some things on the computer and then went back to bed at around 12:30AM. I was laying there going over things in my mind and was working to fall back to sleep.

THEN It seemed like I was no longer needing to breath. 

I am aware that I suffer from a breathing disorder called in Sleep Apnea as centrals, or by the machines as clear air way apenas, where under CPAP my body can just forget to breath.

I have been using a ASV CPAP system sense 2013, so up until now only seen them in the machines reports.

But lately I have seemly been seeing or feeling them while awake on my machine, as I lay there falling asleep.  Every so often I seem to skip a breath, of just not take a breath…

Other times it seems like the machine is controlling my breaths and as I can hardly even draw a breath and it is already pushing the air into my lungs, but when I hold my breath is does not push..so it is my own automatic breathing in control…98% of the time.

And I have become very aware of the machines air flow…..so here I am trying to go back to sleep, and everything is running smoothly, I keep taking a good breath and the machine is blowing a nice air flow and pressure correctly and then I skip a breath..and I do not seem to NEED that breath!!

I know in my mind I need to breath, buy my body does not seem to want to. I had to push, I had to think to take breath…then I now seem to need less air, and less air, so much less that now the machine is hardly working…and all seems to just fade away, lower and lower…

Yet I feel no bad effects…no light headiness, no dizziness, like it can all just fade away. This seems to just keep going on and on.

This odd happening kinds of worries me, it seems so wrong but I cannot seem to get back to normal, so I try hitting the ramp feature which lowers the machines pressure for 5 minutes to allow me to adjust to my normal sleep pressures, thinking I am seeing the pressure induced central APNEAs but that does not cause any change…no improvement, so in my mind I feel threatened by this lack of a need to breath normally ever while it seems to not to be a problem, only is it in my mind, by body seems find with all of this… so I get up and again no bad effects…no light headiness, no dizziness, no problem getting up out of bed.

I pull the SD card and do a reading expecting it to show these fading breaths, but all looks great..in fact I see no falling pressures, no falling air flow, and NO Obstructions and no CENTRALS or open airway reports… it is a good clear report. Nice and steady, no changes show even at the point up shutting it down and getting up.

I am 95% sure I was awake, that it was not a dream, as things fade a mild fear awoke and I was observing as these things the need to breath seemed to fade away, like only my mind was keeping me alive and breathing.

Note I have had a number of these awake missed breaths happening lately.  It is like I just fall out of step with the machine and kind meet an incoming breath with an exhale…  

This was the first of this kind of thing.

I am at a loss to explain or understand this.

Has anyone else had this happen, or has it been reported in Sleep Apnea history??

Rich

PS I just remembered in the past year of so there has been times when it seemed like my diaphragm seem tired and did not want to draw the next breath…

And again this only happens when in bed going to sleep on my CPAP ASV machine.

Anyone know what that is??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No need to breath???
Sleep transitions centrals are common, even with people not affected by complex or central apnea. As you fall asleep, the brain hands off the voluntary aspects of respiration to the autonomic nervous system. This handoff occurs in a drowsy or partially awake state and can result in respiratory pauses. The fact you seem to be aware of breathing pauses means you're not sleeping, and this is not the condition the machine is designed to deliver therapy, however it could be you are so accustomed to using your ASV that you are simply not aware of the pressure changes that maintain your respiratory volume in this drowsy state. Alternatively, normal people breath automatically when asleep, and if autonomic breathing has begun, there is no reason you would be aware of the respiratory effort. It's all speculative since you're not reporting any events and your respiratory flow seems normal on review.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That might be what was happening..

I think I do have some read outs showing it happening:

At the end of the second sleep cycle there is a odd dropping line in a number of the reports...could this be when it happened?

Rich

[attachment=26787]

[attachment=26788]

[attachment=26789]
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not saying you have any lung conditions, but I do with high CA and COPD, and I have had similar no breathing episodes at times while awake. Sleep-wake transitions can get things messed up for a short time, so that's a definite possible cause. Again I am not trying to predict you have any lung conditions, but the breathing pause you described is not yours exclusively.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well a couple of years I was given a full breathing test with the big room etc.

Las year a more personal one in my Dr.s office, so far no problem has show up.

Was funny none the less and a little unnerving.

It seemed like i could just slip away if I did not take control and get out of bed.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
I often forget to breathe while awake.  I can be thinking about something,  forget to breathe for a while,  then take a big breath to catch up.  This, I  believe,  is common.  Just wondering if that is what you experienced?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 01:32 PM)Cpapian Wrote: I often forget to breathe while awake.  I can be thinking about something,  forget to breathe for a while,  then take a big breath to catch up.  This, I  believe,  is common.  Just wondering if that is what you experienced?

I think we all can do that, hold our breath for a short time doing something hard or complex, but to just fade away was something...

Thanks for responding.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
And another discovery, it seems I do need to unplug the Dream Station each day.

I say this because tonight I turned the system and it Seems to have REMEMBERED last night’s breathing pattern as it was already controlling my breathing…

Normally my old 950/960 system did not do that.

And the air flow again dropped off. At first there is a nice little breeze blowing on my face which just fades away….

I pulled the plug and am giving it the time it takes to write and post this to see if I have cleared its memory and will start fresh.  

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 10:42 PM)racprops Wrote: And another discovery, it seems I do need to unplug the Dream Station each day.

I say this because tonight I turned the system and it Seems to have REMEMBERED last night’s breathing pattern as it was already controlling my breathing…

Normally my old 950/960 system did not do that.

And the air flow again dropped off. At first there is a nice little breeze blowing on my face which just fades away….

I pulled the plug and am giving it the time it takes to write and post this to see if I have cleared its memory and will start fresh.  

Rich

Well the unplugging and leaving it off for a few minutes has again showed these need to be rebooted like a computer.

I had felt this was need to get a clean start each night, and it seems I am right.

When I returned and powered it back up seemly the memory from last night was cleared, so first it was not trying to control my breathing, I was in control and I was not having the machine starting each breath, it now waits until I draw a breath and second the full air flow was back and as far as I could tell stayed nearly full as I feel asleep and was running well after some 4 to 5 hours, and my first cycle AHIs was on the screen .8.

For what these things are worth, I report them in case someone else need this information in dealing with their Dreamstation.

This need for full reboots can even be seen in my overview reports:

I am enjoying a much better night sleeping and lowest AHIs so far:  

As you can see other that a few poor nights Sept 14 to 16th, once I began rebooting each night things when back to the good lower readings, as I am seeing the need for rebooting these machines mainly lower AHIs sense Sep 7th. When I got the newer Dreamstation.

This is a nice trend.

This need for full reboots can even be seen in my overview reports:

I am enjoying a much better night sleeping and lowest AHIs so far:  

As you can see other that a few poor nights Sept 14 to 16th, once I began rebooting each night things when back to the good lower readings, as I am seeing the need for rebooting these machines mainly lower AHIs sense Sep 7th. When I got the newer Dreamstation.

[attachment=26829]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rapid Breathing-Fractured Sleep-Out of Breath Fixit50 76 4,008 01-31-2024, 01:37 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  Do nasal cpap help to not breath through mouth? hejohoo 10 1,424 09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Shortness of Breath - Low Oxygen level Sandyelle 3 613 07-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Causes of Expiatory Mouth Breath? Norman2195 8 858 05-31-2023, 03:10 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Treatment] Struggle to breath in with CPAP davroman 4 540 05-29-2023, 06:39 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Need Help. Why is my breath not sinusoidal? What does this shape mean? Norman2195 8 864 05-16-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.