Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No prescription, want to use CPAP
No prescription, want to use CPAP
Hi, I had my sleep study and have an AHI of 53.3, severe apnea.
Then covid caused no "elective procedures" so I haven't had my second sleep study where I get prescribed a PAP.
I purchased a "Respironics REMstar REM Plus C-Flex CPAP" on eBay.
I realize it's an old school model.
I would like to try it out (haven't received it yet) and see if it helps.
I've read all kinds of posts about settings, pressure etc.
I'm desperate for some sleep and can't wait for my prescription.
I'll eventually have my second sleep study, but, can I play around with this in the mean time and if so, can anyone recommend some settings?

I need sleep! Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No prescription, want to use CPAP

Here a picture of what I bought.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just a beginner here but before I ever got on this site I found out (youtube) how to set the clinician settings.  You would only need one setting.  The only setting is how hard it will blow.   That setting could be anywhere from 4 to 20..  Try 10 and see what happens.  Do you have a mask?  Again, I am new to all of this...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it comes with a mask. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
We are going blind Stacey, I'd suggest a more standard titration.
First download OSCAR, the data it provides will be invaluable going forward.
Start at 6, then bump by 1 every time you wake. Post OSCAR charts daily and we will advise from there. If you only bump pressure once per day that's ok. The lab typically holds pressure from 10 to 30 minutes during titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Respironics Remstar Pro with Cflex is a legacy model that cannot provide data. It will provide therapy for obstructive sleep apnea, but you will be going by feel. You can get the clinician manual to learn how to access the clinical settings on that machine from the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of this page. The best suggestion I have is to start at a pressure of 8.0 the first night, keeping a journal of how you feel. Each night increase pressure by 1-cm until you reach 12.0 then decide where you felt best.

My recommendation is that you get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, new or used from any source. The most obvious source is to ask your doctor to prescribe the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset based on your sleep study. Many people are issued auto CPAP machines without a titration and given instructions to self-titrate. You can do this without a study and we can help. If your doctor refuses to prescribe, many online sellers will issue the machine based on your sleep test without a prescription. If you want to buy new, you should find competitive prices at many of our online suppliers, but you might want to try Supplier #33 or Supplier #2. I have frequently seen used Autosets on Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Marketplace and DotMed at good prices. The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is an auto-adjusting CPAP and provides full data. It is the best CPAP on the market and will meet your needs and provide good therapy without another sleep test, provided you have obstructive sleep apnea. Call your doctor on Monday and demand a prescription for Auto CPAP, preferably the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. There is no reason to go untreated and a titration study is not required to prescribe this therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2020, 11:11 PM)PlanetUSA Wrote: Hi, I had my sleep study and have an AHI of 53.3, severe apnea.
Then covid caused no "elective procedures" so I haven't had my second sleep study where I get prescribed a PAP.
I purchased a "Respironics REMstar REM Plus C-Flex CPAP" on eBay.
I realize it's an old school model.
I would like to try it out (haven't received it yet) and see if it helps.
I've read all kinds of posts about settings, pressure etc.
I'm desperate for some sleep and can't wait for my prescription.
I'll eventually have my second sleep study, but, can I play around with this in the mean time and if so, can anyone recommend some settings?

I need sleep! Sleep-on-pillow

Very old school machine, but certainly not a problem to try it until you get a more updated machine.  As others have stated, you won't be able to receive data from this machine, just AHI but I'm not sure.
This would strictly go by how you feel each day.

Do you have a copy of your sleep study?  Post it here if you have it. At least we could see the breakdown of the
AHI of 53. That may help us guide you in what type machine to look for.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have gotten great advise from some VERY knowledgeable people. Good luck
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everybody!
Great advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 119 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 792 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 459 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Prescription for BiPAP DanEm 11 1,189 12-25-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How to get a prescription - live in rural area Madison320 22 2,417 11-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Madison320

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.