Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No sleep study but buying an auto cpap machine today
No sleep study but buying an auto cpap machine today
Hey guys i'm getting an auto machine cpap today.

I've not had sleep study but i def have sleep apnea.

what pressure should i set this thing too?

since its auto cpap ?   

not sure which pressure i should go by since no sleep study yet.l

but might get one soon thru my insurance so.  but getting this for 75 bucks so great deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No sleep study but buying an auto cpap machine today
Id set it to auto-everything; it should adjust to pressure you need from what I understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
A good rule of thumb is to set the minimum pressure of a CPAP to 8 cm, not the default 4 cm. This higher minimum setting is because you will not be able to view results of the therapy in software, and a pressure of 8 cm is very common among users with mild to moderate sleep apnea. The machine will automatically increase pressure as needed. The maximum should be left at 20, and results need to be observed to see if it is effective. Your machine can use a software called Silver Lining 3, but the software and cable are no longer available. You can obtain a clinical manual at the CPAP Setup Manuals link at the top of the page. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2017, 02:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: a pressure of 8 cm is very common among users with mild to moderate sleep apnea.

I don't believe the pressure is related to how severe OSA is. It just depends on each individual. Someone with mild OSA may require a high pressure to keep the airways open, for instance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2017, 06:35 PM)tedgreen Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 02:58 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: a pressure of 8 cm is very common among users with mild to moderate sleep apnea.

I don't believe the pressure is related to how severe OSA is. It just depends on each individual. Someone with mild OSA may require a high pressure to keep the airways open, for instance.

Of course not Ted, but take a look around at what works.  Very few people actually achieve good treatment at lower pressures, and it's likely he will be in the range of 8-12; at least if I was a gambler, I'd consider my odds pretty good.  In the absence of a test or even a good set of machine data, this is the best I've got.  I'm confident it will work a lot better than a lower minimum pressure. BTW, what is your pressure?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for reply sleeprider..
I consider u an expert and super happy for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mikeinthecountry344,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
That is an older machine, but to get you started with CPAP therapy, hopefully, it will work well for you.
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is that safe? I know I fiddled with my pressure once and found I was burping a lot. Then I discovered that too much pressure can cause that. I'm not sure what else can happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2017, 01:19 PM)AlliesNana Wrote: Is that safe? I know I fiddled with my pressure once and found I was burping a lot. Then I discovered that too much pressure can cause that. I'm not sure what else can happen.

It is safe, post often and post your data.  We will tweak you in to solid and comfortable therapy.
Keep in mind that all that has been suggested is a starting point.  This will provide a reference to see how you are doing.  Don't be surprised if changes are recommended after your first night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2017, 02:00 PM)bonjour Wrote: It is safe, post often and post your data.  We will tweak you in to solid and comfortable therapy.
Keep in mind that all that has been suggested is a starting point.  This will provide a reference to see how you are doing.  Don't be surprised if changes are recommended after your first night.

I feel like we're getting on a ride, and we just fastened our seatbelts. 

Onward!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 158 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.