Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No sweat chinstrap
No sweat chinstrap
Good morning!! 

Pretty new to this stuff. Had my machine for about a month and a half now. Kinda afraid their going to take it back because I can't seem to wear it long enough at night so I'm supplementing during the day (luckily I work from home). I go to sleep wth it on them wake up with it off, with no memory of taking it off, ugh. 

Anyway, my real question for everyone is to know if anyone has a suggestion for a chin strap that doesn't make your face all sweaty. I have a short trimmed beard that probably makes the problem worse.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's nice to find a group to be in!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: No sweat chinstrap
Not sure, but might a soft cervical collar do the job instead? When I substituted a collar (off the shelf, from Walgreen's), my AHI went down from about 5 to less than 1. There was a lot of leakage. Not sure how bad a thing that was (my oximetry reading for 1 night was all above 90), but I added a chin strap in addition. Not a good combo for me - solved the leakage, but the combo must have shoved back soft tissues into my posterior pharynx, because my AHIs have been climbing above 1. Back to the cervical collar alone.
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried several of the popular chin straps and was disappointed with the results. or the past several years I have used the CPAP Cap-it is a bit hard to get through the local DMEs in mytown, but it is readily available on line. Since it fits the user a bit like a  cloth helmet I thought it would feel too warm, but since it is all cotton and very "breathable' I find it comfortable-and it definitely doesn't stretch out if fit like the stretchy kinds I tried.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the Sullivan chin strap from Resmed purchased from Supplier #1. It’s cheap, light and simple. It’s not as stretchy as most but enough for comfort.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2019, 10:09 AM)TheDuke Wrote: I have tried several of the popular chin straps and was disappointed with the results. or the past several years I have used the CPAP Cap-it is a bit hard to get through the local DMEs in mytown, but it is readily available on line. Since it fits the user a bit like a  cloth helmet I thought it would feel too warm, but since it is all cotton and very "breathable' I find it comfortable-and it definitely doesn't stretch out if fit like the stretchy kinds I tried.

TheDuke

Great suggestion Thank you.

I used this one: hope the link is acceptable here.

[commercial link removed, instead search Supplier #1 for "PAPcap Cotton Chinstrap"]

I misplaced mine. I'd like to replace it. I found the link to this one doing a search for the one you suggested.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestions so far!! I've got some things to get started with!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the breathewear Halo chinstrap.  Also Supplier #1.  Fairly minimalist and (for me) doesn't slip off or get loose.  Tried a few others but this is the one I've settled on.  Just recently ordered another as a backup, but the first is still going strong after a year and a half or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I won't do it again.

However, I do plan to purchase another pap-cap or whatever it's called. It was the most comfortable solution I've found to prevent mouth-breathing.

I am using my curvical collar again. Forget what it's called. It's a Dr something pad that's supposed to solve snoring problems.

Frankly when I wake up I feel like I have razor rash when I use it. It does a good job preventing mouth breathing though.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I started with the soft cervical neck brace. Recently I have been using the Dr. Dakota Anti Snoring, Stop Snoring, Snoring Solution, Sleep Pillow, and I like it much better - I was able to find it for 11.99 at an online shopping website.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2019, 02:45 PM)ruach Wrote: I started with the soft cervical neck brace. Recently I have been using the Dr. Dakota Anti Snoring, Stop Snoring, Snoring Solution, Sleep Pillow, and I like it much better - I was able to find it for 11.99 at an online shopping website.

Wow.
I bought it on ebay.
Cost me over 60$ Canadian by the time I got it.
I was desperate.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 393 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 835 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [CPAP] AirTouch F20 troubles - nose pillows better? but I snore..chinstrap? Lilaq88 5 849 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Unique Cpap chinstrap Ctyankee 1 641 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chinstrap recommendations? djhvyc 6 1,975 02-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Bit of a battle with the chinstrap, P10 itch Bassline 9 1,971 07-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Soft collar - Protection against sweat sheepless 18 2,959 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Koolbreeze

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.