Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights
Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights
Does anyone else struggle with frequent nighttime bathroom trip/awakenings?  I currently get up between 3-4 times per night, despite the use of APAP. Prior to therapy, it was 5-6 trips per night to the bathroom, so there is a definite reduction. I was diagnosed with BPH and nocturia and have had the condition for many years. I am hoping that the nocturia is primarily the result of my sleep apnea, and that CPAP therapy will greatly improve this condition over time -- not more than 2 trips per night would be great. APAP has already lessened my awakenings, but still my sleep sessions are very fragmented. Any advice or war stories from others dealing with this condition? I also can't seem to sleep more than 6.5 hours per night. Some nights are worse. I may need less sleep as I advance in age, but I would love to have 7+ hours per night.  Just putting it out there to share ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights
I'm not certain of what the list would include that can affect this issue, but there can be other health problems that may be going on. I'm not at all certain there is anything else, but Apnea along with something else could be what you're dealing with.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 12:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm not certain of what the list would include that can affect this issue, but there can be other health problems that may be going on. I'm not at all certain there is anything else, but Apnea along with something else could be what you're dealing with.

You're right that other things can contribute, but my urologist seems to think that it is the result of sleep apnea. Fortunately, I am clear on the list of other causes.  Thanks, Dave.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would post your OSCAR data for everyone to see related to OSA.

BPH for sure causes Nocturia.  Hopefully your PSA is good.  Please keep a watch on that   Smile

I assume you take meds for the BPH?  Not bad enough for Surgery either I assume.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
I suffered from nocturia and now get up once, maybe or twice a night. Sometimes our bodies get into bad habits that need to be broken.

In addition to CPAP, here are some of the things I have done that seem to help me.
Get rid of all bladder irritants in your diet. The killers are coffee, tea, wines, and spicey foods. I eliminated caffeine and replaced it with water and peppermint tea. (It wasn’t easy. I loved my caffeine.) Once things are getting better you can slowly work coffee/tea back into your routine. It took me several months of due diligence to get to this point.

Water became my new caffeine. I drink a glass of water first thing every morning and more during the day.

Relax. Do resting cobbler’s yoga pose while lying in bed. Morning and/or night. Lie on your back with your legs bent at the knees and feet flat on the bed. Let both knees relax out to the sides with the soles of the feet together. If you can’t get them together, get them close. Rest in this position for 3 to 4 minutes and then straighten the legs and continue resting. This pose increases circulation in the pelvis, is good for the prostate, and helps with stress reduction.

This description comes from:
“Cystitis—A Time to Heal” by Dawn R. Mahowald (available on amazon)

Another related book also available on amazon is:
“Overcoming Overactive Bladder” by Diane K. Newman & Alan J. Wein, MD

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2021, 04:12 PM)factor Wrote: I would post your OSCAR data for everyone to see related to OSA.

BPH for sure causes Nocturia.  Hopefully your PSA is good.  Please keep a watch on that   Smile

I assume you take meds for the BPH?  Not bad enough for Surgery either I assume.

Sure.  Here's last night's Oscar.  Short night of sleep, but you can see the wakeup pattern. PSA is good, and I do take meds for the BPH.  It is all under control.  Just need to get my wakeups down.  I appreciate your suggestions, Factor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, Tired One. Great practical ideas.  I will look at your suggestions carefully and see if I can manage this better than I have been.  The caffeine is a tough one, but it totally makes sense. I also like the yoga and relaxation. And the book recommendations are excellent. 

This Apnea Board is the best!  Great people helping each other.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suffered from nocturia only when my OSA was untreated.  Once I was treated effectively with APAP, the symptoms went away.

I will say that I had been sleep-deprived for so long, I had to work my way up to sleeping through the night, like an infant.  Early on, I would wake up after one full REM sleep cycle, feeling refreshed and ready to start the day after just a couple of hours of sleep.  It took a good six months to get to the point that I could sleep for six hours straight.

In your case, you could try to get a urologist to write you a scrip for Noctiva.  If it helps to get you to sleep through the night, it might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2021, 10:02 AM)ConnCarl Wrote: I suffered from nocturia only when my OSA was untreated.  Once I was treated effectively with APAP, the symptoms went away.

I will say that I had been sleep-deprived for so long, I had to work my way up to sleeping through the night, like an infant.  Early on, I would wake up after one full REM sleep cycle, feeling refreshed and ready to start the day after just a couple of hours of sleep.  It took a good six months to get to the point that I could sleep for six hours straight.

In your case, you could try to get a urologist to write you a scrip for Noctiva.  If it helps to get you to sleep through the night, it might be worth a try.

Thanks, Carl.  Good to know that you were able to turn this around. I appreciate the comments.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 363 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 451 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  CPAP Nocturia newtothis1 18 849 01-02-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: newtothis1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.