Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nocturia is driving me nuts
RE: Nocturia is driving me nuts
Route67,
1st just to qualify I'm not a doctor...just a long term nocturia suffer. I've been battling a sleep disorder for about 10 years now. After 2 false negative sleep studies (there was no way I could sleep in the lab) in fact I even got diagnosed with narcolepsy!!! The day after one of my sleep test they gave me a multiple sleep latency test (MSLT)...and did the narcolepsy diganosis. It defied logic to me as I told the doc of course I'd fall asleep quickly after not sleeping the night before...but I guess that's another story.

Anyway I've been taking 'Desmopressin' nasal spray at bed time for several years now. Its not a bladder control med its an anti diuretic med. Google treatment of nocturia with desmopressin as it's becoming a mainstream treatment....I convinced my family doc to try it several years ago after all the urology and sleep test came up negative. I came across a article in the British journal of urology about using it for nocturia and presented it to him in desperation after getting up 5-6 times per night to go. It's typically used in kids that wet the bed or those with other urological disorders. Anyway we gave it a try and it worked!...6xs a night down to 1 or 2xs a night. Good thing I had an open minded dr...anyway be prepared to gain some water weight at first and they have to monitor your salt levels regularly.

Now the good news...two months ago I talked my sleep dr into doing a home sleep test....we did a 3 day at home sleep test and bingo the osa showed up...not severe but mild and with Oxy desats down into the low 80s several times a night.....I started APAP 3 weeks ago....I've been monitoring my results and things are looking way up....I still have mild daytime sleepiness but I don't have the fatigue and feeling that I got ran over by a truck the night before. I'm guessing that feeling came from the low oxy levels. Anyway I'm looking forward to the next few weeks as life steadily improves...and I'm weaning myself off the desmopressin as I believe we've finally found the root cause of the nocturia, in addition, to the irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, and fatigue.

Take care and make sure your OSA is under control and cpap set right before going the medication for nocturia route.

Oh by the way my uncle used to call me the camel...I'd hold my water all day and release it all night!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,610 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Mask driving me crazy phoebesalva 8 513 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  CPAP Nocturia newtothis1 18 849 01-02-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: newtothis1
Question [CPAP] Help with Flow Limits driving pressure Nathan Graves 2 565 06-04-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  Terrible Velcro On Philips Nuance Gel Pillow Mask Driving Me Nuts hyphicti 0 625 10-23-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: hyphicti
  Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights Sleeper396 8 1,046 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  mouth leak driving me nuts Palmtrees 7 1,881 06-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.