Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noise cancelling solutions
RE: Noise cancelling solutions
(11-09-2017, 02:11 PM)Marillion Wrote: But a fan is not needed if the adjustments on the machine are correct.  There will simply be no snoring sounds...  

I would just like to re-iterate that instead of trying to mask any sounds of snoring that he should get at the root of the problem; helping the mask stay stationary and prevent snoring with the correct settings on the machine.  He will need to post data to help us give him some solid advice to that effect.

I stand corrected. Thank you, Marillion. You are right. Proper settings would reduce or eliminate the snoring issue.

Dave B Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
True but many people are bothered by the whir of the CPAP blower. As quiet as it is it isn't silent.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2017, 05:47 PM)BlinkyGeorgia Wrote: I'm looking for a noise masking/cancelling solution so my occasional snoring doesn't bother my wife. She gets perturbed when my mask leaks and/or I snore. However, she seems willing to tolerate the sounds of my breathing. White noise machine will not work - she would have to wear ear buds. She was "NO" to that idea. Ditto for ear plugs. Any help out there? P. S. I bought said machine without enrolling her in that solution. Duh!

Not sure why a white noise generator would require the use of earbuds.  They generally sit on a nightstand and either work by creating an electronic noise or have a small fan inside that creates noise from the airflow.

I used to use a box fan many years ago.

Foam earplugs aren't too uncomfortable, but they will take a long time to get used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wear BOSE noise cancelling headphones at night. More comfortable (for me, I don't know about you) than earplugs and effective. Rather expensive of course but I actually bought them to deal with traffic noise when I am out walking, so the night use is sort of free. Well, he did ask about cancelling the noise.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
YMMV but as for me and my setup of ASV and F20 FFM, they are about as quiet as can be. Then again, as I'm an old single guy, it's only heard by myself and Mom's dog who sleeps nearby. I do hear the venting air on occasion IF, and only when this happens, I pull my blanket up too close to the mask. The prior units, a Dreamstation BiPAP and the CPAP before that was I think a S9, were OK as well. Of course the S9 was less quiet than the newer ones.

Also since apneas are well treated with the ASV, snoring isn't happening currently.

Dave B.
Coffee Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll get use to the noise. I slept on a aircraft carrier launching and recovering aircraft. If I could get use to that you can get use to a little machine.

The funny thing is when I finally got home I couldn't sleep. It was too quiet!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2017, 02:11 PM)Marillion Wrote: But a fan is not needed if the adjustments on the machine are correct.  There will simply be no snoring sounds...  

I would just like to re-iterate that instead of trying to mask any sounds of snoring that he should get at the root of the problem; helping the mask stay stationary and prevent snoring with the correct settings on the machine.  He will need to post data to help us give him some solid advice to that effect.

I totally agree with you, but sometimes that is not possible immediately or ever.  My brother has the absolute best fit he can get but because of the shape of his face since he had a stroke, he can't completely eliminate leaks and/or occasional snoring.  If he had a partner, they would have a difficult time sleeping.  I agree that working to get the best fit possible is the goal, but in the meantime, your bed partner has to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
As for getting used to noise, take note that I used to be an over the road truck driver. In my circumstance, that meant driving from early Monday to late Friday night. Many times, sleep time was parked either at a noisy truck stop or at the terminal near the loading dock, and waiting to load or unload. Now, I have trouble sleeping if it's too quiet. I almost always have some old radio classic show playing when I fall asleep. Oh and it's not just because I'm used to noise, but I've also got a case of tinnitus, the chronic ear ringing. Gotta have some wanted sounds to drown out the ringing.

Dave B
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I place the cpap on a cushion on the floor. Its better that way. If it is next to my ears it disturbs me.

I prefer during the summer with the ac noise I dont hear it. I would use a fan but wife hates the noise. She does not care about the cpap noise so oh well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is in the lower drawer of a 2-drawer bedside table, with the hose and power routed through a 2-inch diameter hole in the back of the cabinet and routed up the headboard. You would not be able to hear my machine if you tried.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,273 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 357 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.