Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noise from Dreamstation at start of exhale
Noise from Dreamstation at start of exhale
I noticed a few days ago - I think about the time I raised my EPAP Minimum to 11.5 - that occasionally my new (only in use about 30 days) Dreamstation BiPAP Auto (with humidifier) makes a 'click' noise when I start to exhale. It is right at the start of when I switch from inhale to exhale, only clicks once, and the noise is louder if I exhale harder than if softer. It almost sounds like some sort of valve closing?

Is this normal? It does not do it throughout the night and often stops once I settle in. I just had not noticed this before so I'm wondering if it is related to the higher min EPAP in some way or, do I have some mechanical issue with the machine that has just started?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noise from Dreamstation at start of exhale
In my experience the clicking noise might be coming from your mask. check your exhalation port as there is a flap that closes when exhaled against. you can test by breathing through mask with pressures off to see if the same sound occurs.

If it truly is coming from the bipap unit itself, I would contact your DME to have them look at it and possibly malfunction.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2017, 09:45 AM)dmeRT Wrote: In my experience the clicking noise might be coming from your mask.  check your exhalation port as there is a flap that closes when exhaled against.  you can test by breathing through mask with pressures off to see if the same sound occurs.  

If it truly is coming from the bipap unit itself, I would contact your DME to have them look at it and possibly malfunction.

Thank you. I did verify it that it is coming from the machine because that was my first thought too - it might be that exhalation valve. 

I'll call my DME and ask them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with the DreamStation construction, but on my AirSense 10, the humidifier lid would sometimes click softly because of my EPR = 3. If I put my hand on the top, I could make it stop. I think the humidifier seal was loose, or the humidifier wasn't inserted quite right. It went away, and I never did figure out exactly what had caused it.

It's amazing how quiet a bedroom can be in the middle of the night, and how noisy an office or store is during the day...
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2017, 10:08 AM)pholynyk Wrote: I'm not familiar with the DreamStation construction, but on my AirSense 10, the humidifier lid would sometimes click softly because of my EPR = 3. If I put my hand on the top, I could make it stop. I think the humidifier seal was loose, or the humidifier wasn't inserted quite right. It went away, and I never did figure out exactly what had caused it.

It's amazing how quiet a bedroom can be in the middle of the night, and how noisy an office or store is during the day...

Thanks. That's interesting because I just got off the phone with my DME and she suggested I check the humidifier lid which I will do tonight. It has to be something simple so I hope this is it. She also suggested disconnecting the humidifier and see if that makes it go away as well so I'll be checking this out after work today.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a bit of bad luck with clicking noise on both my old System One CPAP and my current Dreamstation.  I got the Dreamstation as a warranty replacement for the System One.  My Dreamstation clicks once in a while on exhale and I know it's the humidifier tank.  It must shift slightly with the change in air pressure.  When it starts to act up, I open and close the lid quickly and most of the time, that works.  Maybe the action re-seats the tank stopping it from shifting.  Lately, it's been good and hasn't been making noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I checked it out last night and it definitely is related to the humidifier. The lid felt like it was shut completely but if I put my hand on the lid, the noise would stop. I first thought it was the hose connection itself where it attaches/swivels on the lid but once it is pressured up that had no effect on the noise. When I opened and then re-closed the lid, the noise stopped so it has to be something connected with how the tank is seating?

Regardless, I was able to make it stop by opening and closing the lid so I'm happy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I thought the old 'open and then close' trick worked to stop the clicking noise but it does not. The noise is definitely from the humidifier lid. I worked with it a bit last night and it is not consistent but when it does click you can see the lid rise just a bit (start of inhale from the increased pressure in the tank) and then drop/click once the exhale starts. I've tried everything I can do to make the lid stay in one place but it will click for a while, then stop, then start again. No idea why the intermittent noise sessions but that is exactly what is causing.

So, I'm calling my DME today and will ask for an exchange.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I was having a clicking annoyance on exhale with a S10 ResMed. If I turned the EPR off it stopped as it sometimes stopped if I pressed the humidifier. I purchased a hose lifter and coincidentally reverted to a standard hose and I have had no problem with the clicking. 

For the last two weeks I have been using the RESMed  heated hose again because my drug induced hay fever has continued into winter without the clicking noise.

Good Luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I talked with my DME and they are going to get me a new unit, possibly a new DreamStation and Humidifier. Hopefully that will take care of the clicking noise.

It's definitely the lid on the humidifier so I told her if they just exchange the humidifier that should take care of it. She said that Respironics would make that call and once the new unit comes in she would call me to come in and make the exchange.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,298 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,604 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,283 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.