Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
I have been using the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset since October, 2014 when I was first diagnosed. I have gone through three units due to the loud sound it makes when inhaling and exhaling but haven't had any luck in getting a quieter one - it is very loud as it gets to full pressure. I am considering switching to the Dreamstation and would appreciate any feedback on the noise level of the device and if it makes a loud wooshing noise on inhale and exhale. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
My parents commented that my Dream Station was much quieter than my mom's machine..... They weren't even sure it was on when I stayed in their living room with it. I think a lot depends on your pressure, and the mask type. Also, some fabrics are louder when the mask vent hits them vs others (pillowcases.)
"I am not a Doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi scottlink96,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with finding a quieter machine and with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of the noise IS sometimes the result of the mask instead of the machine itself. People commonly refer to "machine noise" when it is the mask sounds that they may hear louder. I have recently (2 weeks) started with my new Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP and am amazed at how much less sound it develops over my previous Respironics Remstar Auto A-flex system one. I am hesitant to offer any percentages of noise level less as that is in the eyes of the beholder. Some nightly interference to some may be a welcome white noise to others. BUT the DreamStation IS quieter. I will be writing up my summation of the DreamStation in a few days.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 02:40 PM)JudgeMental Wrote: A lot of the noise IS sometimes the result of the mask instead of the machine itself. People commonly refer to "machine noise" when it is the mask sounds that they may hear louder. I have recently (2 weeks) started with my new Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP and am amazed at how much less sound it develops over my previous Respironics Remstar Auto A-flex system one. I am hesitant to offer any percentages of noise level less as that is in the eyes of the beholder. Some nightly interference to some may be a welcome white noise to others. BUT the DreamStation IS quieter. I will be writing up my summation of the DreamStation in a few days.

Some white noise is fine and understandable but, as has been said in other posts, the Darth Vader sound coming out of the unit is distracting when it is loud and in sync with the inhale/exhale, particularly the inhale. The mask is very quiet, a nasal pillow mask. I look forward to your review.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am on my 3rd Resmed A10 due to noise. They start out quiet but after a few months they get louder. This one is loud now too...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Airsense 10 Auto that was really noisy , and yes it sounded as though Darth Vader was sleeping with me. I persisted with sending the machine back to be repaired under warranty, and when I didn't get satisfaction I evoked the "Under Australian consumer law it is not fit for use, so lets see what the authorities who look at these things think about your service" move. The machine was sent back to Resmed here in Sydney, the technical department head called me to keep me in the loop while they looked at the problem. The end result was that my machine had a fault with two internal seals, and that fault could have extended to a number of machines. Mine is as quiet as a mouse now and is working as all the sales blurb says. Speak up loudly and persistantly about the problem, it seems to be the only way to get heard.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Airsense 10 Autoset with nasal pillow mask and so far it's been very quiet. I do hear my inhalation and exhalation but I'm the only one who can hear it. You can barely tell the machine is on.
Post Reply Post Reply
oftentimes, sound is transmitted up the tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
My A10 has been dead silent since I started using it about 1.5 years ago. My pressure is set to 9, and maybe that has something to do with it. Sometimes I get a whistle from the humidifier connection but it is easily fixed by wiggling it a bit. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,713 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 69 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,031 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 80 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 166 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,256 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.