Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
RE: Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
(03-16-2016, 12:11 PM)archangle Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 11:26 PM)bluemom51 Wrote: I also went through 3 machines - talked to ResMed Tech Department and there was a problem with the humidifier seals and they redesigned the humidifier bin a few months ago. If you are using a humidifier, check with your seller and ask them to obtain a recently manufactured bin.

By "bin," do you mean the humidifier tub or water tank? i.e. the part you take out of the machine and fill with water?

Yes the humidifier bin or container or tub - the part with water - when there is the Darth Vader noise you either have to get a newer one with seals that work or insert Very strongly and keep trying until the sound is gone when you turn the machine on - so strongly that it would probably break something over time. So try to get a new water container with redesigned seals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone has different tolerances for noise... I started noticing the noise from my Airsense 10 when I went to a different location and placed it on a nightstand which was above the level of my bed. That was enough to make me notice it. At home it's placed on a chair which is below the level of my bed and when it's placed below the level of my bed, I don't notice it as much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the chair have a cushion on it? I have noticed that some hard surfaces act as sound boards and turn all vibrations into louder sounds.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
More like a vinyl covering but enough so that it would provide for a little bit of acoustic decoupling. Pointing the vent away from me (and pointing the water tank towards me) also makes a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
My thought is that it might take more than a vinyl covering to produce geed acoustic decoupling. I use a folded up terrycloth towel. Works fine but there plenty of things that can be used.

Actually I had the opposite state of affairs. I had my VPAP on top of a dresser right beside the head of the bed at about the level of my head. I guess the wood that the dresser is made of is fairly acoustically dead. I moved the VPAP to on top af a laid down old attache case on the floor. Made more noise hence the folded up towel.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Careful about fluffy things under that S9. The intake of the filter housing is mounted low; and you might starve the intake for air.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2016, 04:41 PM)justMongo Wrote: Careful about fluffy things under that S9. The intake of the filter housing is mounted low; and you might starve the intake for air.

it is a good inch above the bottom, have to be a mighty fluffy towel Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I just picked up the A10 last week and I'm having the same problem. I went back to my DME and swapped the humidifier for a new one, but it didn't help at all. The S9 unit was notably quieter. Does anyone know if DMEs in the US will let you switch to another unit (Dreamstation) if the problem persists? This may vary from DME to DME, but figured it's worth checking since it's technically an RX.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 05:25 PM)TheJollyLlama Wrote: I just picked up the A10 last week and I'm having the same problem. I went back to my DME and swapped the humidifier for a new one, but it didn't help at all. The S9 unit was notably quieter. Does anyone know if DMEs in the US will let you switch to another unit (Dreamstation) if the problem persists? This may vary from DME to DME, but figured it's worth checking since it's technically an RX.

Perhaps you could ask the DME to call ResMed to locate and order a newly-manufactured tub with the improved seal design. Perhaps there is a new REF# (ordering number) for the redesigned tub?

The ones he has in stock may have the old seal design.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I visited the DME, they listened to the Airsense and said the whooshing sound on inhalation is normal, not the result of a faulty water chamber. I tried the Dreamstation and it had the same sound but it was sharper so I am staying with the Airsense for now. I am considering the Resmed S9, I borrowed one from a friend, it had the same whooshing sound but was muffled a bit by the white noise coming out of the unit so it wasn't as distracting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 18 347 24 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 69 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 80 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,257 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.