Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
RE: Noise level of Respironics Dreamstation vs Resmed Airsense 10
(03-12-2016, 08:25 PM)palerider Wrote: oftentimes, sound is transmitted up the tube.

I found this to be true when I was using my PR machine without the humidifier attached. I took the humidifier unit off when running the machine on my power pack when out in our travel trailer a few weeks ago. My AHI numbers were better so I just left the humidifier off at home for a few nights, but I couldn't deal with the noise coming through the hose. I've decided not to use the heated hose or humidification for a longer trial period, but had to re-attach the humidifier--I do put water in it but no heat--and now back to quiet operation.
I like the AHI figures--now often under 1.0. My CA events have also dropped--not certain if this humidification change has anything to do with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 02:36 AM)scottlink96 Wrote: I have been using the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset since October, 2014 when I was first diagnosed.  I have gone through three units due to the loud sound it makes when inhaling and exhaling but haven't had any luck in getting a quieter one - it is very loud as it gets to full pressure.  I am considering switching to the Dreamstation and would appreciate any feedback on the noise level of the device and if it makes a loud wooshing noise on inhale and exhale.  Thanks

I just recently got the Dreamstation and the noise on the intake of breath is absolutely terrible (loud).  I am discouraged to hear that the Airsense 10 is similarly bad (in your experience), as I was going to return this and switch to the Airsense 10 instead, assuming it couldn't be this bad.  My former machine Respironics MStar had zero noise at the mask, and was far quieter, even if it was 10 years old.  That's just pathetic that the newer machines are noisier!
Post Reply Post Reply
my dreamstation is for the most part quiet. i cannot relate to any other machine, as this is my first. is your hose wrapped with a cloth tube that is used to keep the tube warm. if not try wrapping it with a towel in a place that will not tug and bother you. try a little diagnosis. run it with out the humidifier to see if it gets better. are you using an old mask, or head gear?  is the hose being tugged on, or routed different. those are just some of what i can suggest to try to help you. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 12:11 PM)keys Wrote: my dreamstation is for the most part quiet. i cannot relate to any other machine, as this is my first. is your hose wrapped with a cloth tube that is used to keep the tube warm. if not try wrapping it with a towel in a place that will not tug and bother you. try a little diagnosis. run it with out the humidifier to see if it gets better. are you using an old mask, or head gear?  is the hose being tugged on, or routed different. those are just some of what i can suggest to try to help you. Thinking-about
Hi Keys,

The machine is very quiet. It's the way it forces air into the mask on the inhalation that is the cause of the noise problem. I'm running it without the humidifier, as that is the way I will need to use it 90% of the time.  Also, the issue isn't the hose or the mask. I'm using the same hose and mask as I did with the previous machine. The only variant is the new machine- therefore it's the machine that is the problem. I've switched hoses and the noise is the same. I've taken apart the mask a few times and put it back together and still the noise is the same. When I go back to my former machine, the noise is gone.  It's the Dreamstation and some way that it is controlling the airflow that is the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
then i have know idea. maybe there is something wrong. i guess the next step would be to call your dme, and ask for another machine/ or brand. sorry i could not help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 04:47 PM)player Wrote: I am on my 3rd Resmed A10 due to noise. They start out quiet but after a few months they get louder. This one is loud now too...

I am about to get my 4th Airsense 10 Elite. They have all been loud as hell, not a wind or gushing air sound, a humming/whining sound. Every time I have returned it, the DME has given me a A10 Autoset and they have all been very quiet. Resmed Techos say they are meant to be identical from a pump/motor point of view, I have not found this. I actually tested an Elite and Autoset side by side, the difference was astounding (Elite sounded like a jet engine, the Autoset was as quiet as a mouse by comparison). Waiting for the DME to given me the 4th machine from a different batch. If this one doesnt work, I will ask for an Autoset or my money back and call it quits
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dreamstation is 3 ft away and 1 ft lower than my head resting on the pillow and it's under the study table which would actually be a good echo chamber but I don't hear it. I use the Wisp and what I hear is air movement. If the hose rests on the pillow I can sometimes hear air moving in the hose through the pillow. The higher the pressure, maybe louder, but it don't really bothering me cos I'm tired when I hit the bed.

When I was using the APEX with the Wisp and tried the EPA, yah, I could hear the air moving at the machine air inlet. Without EPA, it was much quieter and well behaved so it isn't my tinnitus acting up  Smile . A simple relatively good basic effective APAP machine that one.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My old machine was a PRS1 and I was amazed at how quiet the ResMed Airsense Auto 10 is by comparison, but my pressure average is only about 10. I would go so far as saying I cannot even hear it. I suspect when pressures go up, the noise does as well and that is why you have conflicting views on noise. I never had a problem with the humidifier, so again, with lower pressures you are relying less on an optimal seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
So after MUCH playing around with the machine, here is what I learned:

The Dreamstation is designed for Humidifier use. I haven't been using that, as I plan to travel with it, and the whole appeal of the machine was it's small form factor (without the Humidifier attachment).  The problem is that without the humidifier, the airflow in the machine is wonky, and it makes a LOT of Wind noise at the mask (and a high pitched whistle on each breath in).  With the humidifier attached and in use, the noise is reduced by 60% or more!

Also, the disposable fine filter adds to the noise.  After removing that (and using just the washable filter) the noise was decreased by 20%.  It still makes the high-pitched whistling sound (when the humidifier is not attached/in use), which many (including me) find REALLY annoying. 

So- for the quietest machine:  Humidifier attached and in use, remove Fine Disposable filter, and set Flex to 3.
The noisiest setting (so bad you can't sleep due to the windflow sounds at the mask: is Humidifier not attached, Flex at 1, and Both filters installed.  It's so loud in this scenario is it very hard to sleep and I almost returned the machine as unusable. 

It's pretty stupid that it is designed to be used mainly with the Humidifier, and it works less well without it.
Hopes this helps anyone else with the same issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
that is so interesting that I am going to give it a try tonight! i'm wondering if it can be covered slightly with a pillow case, or something light that will muffle it down. not to tight, or something to ruin the ds. i don't travel away more than a day, so i just tough it out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,354 8 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 62 Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 120 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,926 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 129 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,822 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Switching from Dreamstation to Airsense 11 rorielly 8 1,082 04-01-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Swaggy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.