Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage softgel
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Noise problem Resmed Autosense 10
I'm now on my second Autosense 10 in the last month. The first one was so loud that it woke me up so it was replaced by Resmed because it was defective. The new one is quieter, but should I be hearing the echo of my breathing all of the time. It keeps my spouse sleeping elsewhere because of the sound. I've been on a cpap for over 10 years, and this is the noisiest machine I've ever had. Friends who have other brands report no noise at all with their machines, but my supplier says that the breathing sounds are normal. I've changed masks a couple of times, and I'm now using a Mirage Softgel which gives a good seal. I'm getting smiley faces and good reports every night, but the noise is a problem.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015 12:46 PM by Buddy1992.)
05-12-2015 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
truetopath Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: PR system one 560p auto with a flex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resumed F10
Humidifier: PR system one
CPAP Pressure: 11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Noise problem Resmed Autosense 10
I noticed when I used the f&p icon auto I would hear the breathing echo, but never on my s9 autoset. Not sure if it's normal on the a10's or not.
05-12-2015 01:45 PM
Silverwolf Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: HumidAir integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6-14

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
I also have an Airsense 10. I never thought anything about the "inhale" noise until I read posts from others describing it. Then, of course, it started bugging me. My husband doesn't notice it because he still wears earplugs... even though I don't snore anymore, he is so used to them! I digress.... I really only notice it when i first turn the unit on....with lower pressure, and trying to quiet my breathing to fall asleep. I was OK with the rhythmic sound of my own breathing for the first 2 months, but seeing the posts made me start paying attention to it, and of course once I did that, it was off to the races. For a few days, I put the unit on the floor, and it was great not to have Darth Vader next to me. But i felt that it wasn't a good idea to clog up the filter with whatever allergens were hiding under my bed, so I put it back on the nightstand. I noticed this morning, i could barely hear the whooshing as I took a breath....wonder if it matters that the water tank was almost empty? I also made sure to wash the tank and seal before I filled it last night. I guarantee my DME wont replace anything...they barely send me enough supplies. Not sure if after 3 months of use I could complain, anyway!
05-12-2015 01:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Buddy1992,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having trouble with your machine. Talk to the place where you got it and see what they suggest.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting a quieter machine.

trish6hundred
05-12-2015 02:44 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Silverwolf,

There is a 2 year warranty on the Airsense 10. If your DME will not do anything about it, go direct to Resmed and they may intercede with your DME.
05-12-2015 03:01 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Silverwolf Offline

New Members

Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: HumidAir integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6-14

Other Comments:

Thank you PaytonA. I wanted to wait and see if it really really bothered me or started to sound like it would become a mechancal problem. Being so new to this, I'm surprised that the Sleep management people from the insurance company would call me every month to see how compliant I was, but now that I hit the 3 month mark, its like I don't exist. And when I call the DME for supplies, I get like one pillow sent to me. I had a huge deductible and I paid out of pocket for most everything....now that i can get things 80% covered, seems like they don't care whether i get new supplies. So I guess thats why I want to see other Airsense 10 owners chime in and tell their stories about whether they have noise issues. I've seriously gotten more info from this forum than from my sleep doctor. Sad
Many thanks to everyone!
05-12-2015 03:21 PM
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

If I try to listen for my Respironics, I can sometimes almost convince myself that I might hear a whisper of it. When I was using an S-9 I would have to take the mask off my face to verify it was functioning. The DeVillbiss almost as quiet as the S-9, as is the S-8 Autoset II I got for travel. My original S-8 was alittle noisier but it was a white noise that tended to blanket other sounds like the dog farting or snoring.

Now, if you want to hear a machine working, try a Z-1. That's more akin to standing on a carrier deck listening to an F-18 spool up. All night long.

OMMOHY
05-12-2015 04:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
antdroid Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Nuance Pro & Philips Respironics Wisp
Humidifier: AirSense Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 4-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: Enginerd by day. Just a nerd by night.

I had inhale sounds coming out of the machine too. I wrote up some of my findings with experimenting with settings towards the end of this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-inhaling

I think humidifier plays a small role. I noticed it louder with the humidifier on. My DME gave me the end cap for taking the humidifier off. But since I've put the unit under my bed now, on a IKEA cabinet door with rollers attached, its not very audible anymore. I still here the unit whining every once in a while but it's not too bad, especially since it's drowned out by my air purifier.

I also changed masks which helped with the local noise near my face. My WISP mask vent was incredibly noisy. Switching to the Nuance pillows helped. I think the shape of the holes makes a big difference for vent noise.
05-12-2015 04:21 PM
dixie01 Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed AutoSense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Hi Guys,

I have just joined the Forum and come across this Topic. I was issued with the Resmed Air Sense 10 Autoset, having my old Fisher & Paykel replaced, due to the heater breaking down.

The old machine has been terrific for 8 years now, it was quiet and the only noise, was from a constant low pressure air sound, through the mask, which was easy to get used to, as it was continual.

Now this new one I have discovered, is super quiet as a machine, but I have this continual breathing in and out sound, which is driving me crazy.........is this normal? I know it's me breathing normally, but it's damned annoying, is this a common Resmed problem, because the F&P didn't have it.
05-22-2015 02:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

(05-22-2015 02:43 AM)dixie01 Wrote:  Now this new one I have discovered, is super quiet as a machine, but I have this continual breathing in and out sound, which is driving me crazy.........is this normal? I know it's me breathing normally, but it's damned annoying, is this a common Resmed problem, because the F&P didn't have it.

It seems to be. Mine does it but I never noticed because the noise from the oxygen generator in the same room always drowned it out. I moved that machine and then started hearing what you describe. I can sleep with that. However it's easier when I put on my noise cancelling headphones as it goes away along with everything else except quite loud noises.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
05-22-2015 05:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Totally Confused by Airsense 10 Data - Centrals - Problem machine... ? mymontreal 27 1,220 Today 08:17 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Clicking noise from CPAP when breathing Fedman 2 44 Today 07:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Surprised WISP mask problem elbie 12 758 Today 10:00 AM
Last Post: cbokay
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 203 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  [CPAP] hose valve noise ArtistEd 7 281 12-05-2016 11:05 PM
Last Post: ArtistEd
  Problem with DreamWear Mask Judy1843 5 315 11-30-2016 04:03 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 768 11-27-2016 09:53 PM