Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noiseless machine
Noiseless machine
I have resmed S9 elite and my wife complains about the noise of the machine. It has a rythmic tone to it as I breathe in and out.

Are there machines quiter than this. I think I can get a new machine (and keep this one as backup). My present machine is 3+ years old. Don't know for sure if insurance will cover for it but it should.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noiseless machine
Assuming you're in the US, insurance will usually "buy" you a new machine every 5 years.

While most machines are relatively quiet, it's the air coming from the mask that causes most of the noise. My wife's solution to this issue is to sleep in another room (actually, she sleeps there because she likes to sleep with a fan blowing on here and I don't. And the air coming from my mask is not enough to meet her needs).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 08:51 AM)roym Wrote: I have resmed S9 elite and my wife complains about the noise of the machine. It has a rythmic tone to it as I breathe in and out.

Are there machines quiter than this. I think I can get a new machine (and keep this one as backup). My present machine is 3+ years old. Don't know for sure if insurance will cover for it but it should.

thanks

roym, as Pollcat said, most of the noise comes from the mask, and having said that most masks I have seen use pretty much the same type vent. It's kind of like a grid of little holes. Even regular cleaning can leave stuff in those holes and the slightest build up in there can cause noise. When you clean your mask if you take an old toothbrush and clean that vent real good it may cut down on the noise. I get a free toothbrush from my dentist everytime I go in for a cleaning. I hate his toothbrushes for use on my teeth, but they sure com in handy for cleaning! Smile The other thing is that if you have your machine sitting directly on a wooden nightstand, the wood can amplify sounds coming from your machine. I took an old hand towel, folded it to fit the bottom of my machine and put that down first. That stopped all the little noises.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming your machine is not malfunctioning making a loud noise, I use to be really sensitive to noise as well like your wife until I realized it's all in my head. The s9 is very quiet and the mask is audible but shouldn't distract to negativity. It's not that the sound is loud, it's that your wife focuses on it which exaggerates the sound. It's actually a form of OCD.

Anyways what helped me is meditation, to help focus on positive thoughts and clear your mind even before sleeping. I also use an app called White Noise when I started which helps your mind to focus on that sound which is controlled and therefore comfortable. YOu could also try having a fan on, (which is louder than the s9) which would help. Some people I know can't sleep without fans on.

It took almost a year but now I can meditate and sleep almost anywhere, (i don't need perfect silence) and it's very freeing.

Anyways, me personally I love the sound of the S9, it's very comforting to me and I associate it with a good nights sleep Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the S9 with ResMed AirFit P10 pillows. It seems very quiet to me (and my wife). In fact, she complained because she was listened for the sounds to make sure I was breathing ok. I guess that's because she was used to the older machine and mask which she said was too loud.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife has an S9 Escape and I have the PRS01 - DS560TS. Both are quiet, but we tend to believe her S9 is quieter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 09:32 PM)kevindaledavis Wrote: I'm using the S9 with ResMed AirFit P10 pillows. It seems very quiet to me (and my wife). In fact, she complained because she was listened for the sounds to make sure I was breathing ok. I guess that's because she was used to the older machine and mask which she said was too loud.
Hi kevin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 08:51 AM)roym Wrote: I have resmed S9 elite and my wife complains about the noise of the machine. It has a rythmic tone to it as I breathe in and out.
Not all machines are affected, my machine makes same noise on exhale, the noise coming from the motor

ResMed aware of the problem, maybe they get fix with S10 which should hit the shelves soon

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 09:48 AM)mjbearit Wrote:

thanks

roym, as Pollcat said, most of the noise comes from the mask, and having said that most masks I have seen use pretty much the same type vent. It's kind of like a grid of little holes. Even regular cleaning can leave stuff in those holes and the slightest build up in there can cause noise. When you clean your mask if you take an old toothbrush and clean that vent real good it may cut down on the noise. I get a free toothbrush from my dentist everytime I go in for a cleaning. I hate his toothbrushes for use on my teeth, but they sure com in handy for cleaning! Smile The other thing is that if you have your machine sitting directly on a wooden nightstand, the wood can amplify sounds coming from your machine. I took an old hand towel, folded it to fit the bottom of my machine and put that down first. That stopped all the little noises.

Thank you mjbearit for your tip about putting a folded towel under machine if it is sitting on wooden table.
My machine, S9 Elite sits on a small wooden table and has always been silent but this last couple of weeks is making a whirring noise, quite annoying.
Anyway I shall try your idea of the towel. Thanks!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2014, 09:43 PM)sibertiger Wrote: My wife has an S9 Escape and I have the PRS01 - DS560TS. Both are quiet, but we tend to believe her S9 is quieter.

My S9 Elite used to be very, very quiet but now is quite noisy.
I am returning it on the 3rd May so I haven't worried too much about it. If I was keeping it, I would definitely look in to it.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,176 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,793 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,756 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,250 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.