Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy AirSense 10 AutoSet
Noisy AirSense 10 AutoSet
Does anyone out there have any experience with what sounds like motor noise when I'm inhaling. I thought it might be a crack in the humidifier tank which was due for replacement anyway but having installed the new tank the noise is unchanged. ResMed weren't any help as they refuse to deal directly with end users, thus making their 2 year warranty kind of a joke. I bought the unit through 1800 CPAP and they only warranty the machine for 90 Days themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy AirSense 10 AutoSet
The blower motor speeds up when you inhale to maintain the pressure.  From your description, it sounds like the bearings may have gone bad and the sound is more pronounced at higher speeds.  If that is the case, you will need a replacement blower.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Airsense 10 Autoset starting making wheezing and groaning noises after 6 months of use. I had to send it off for repair because the noise was disruptive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you buy a Pre-Owned, Open Box, and Refurbished CPAP and BiPAP Machine?

A standard 90 day warranty is offered on all individual Pre-Owned, Open Box, and Refurbished CPAP and BiPAP Machine. If you have a warranty question about a particular machine please feel free to email

If it was new you should have 2 years

Warranty Details for CPAP, BiPAP, Auto CPAP, APAP BiLevel Machines and Humidifiers

ResMed: 2 Years
Post Reply Post Reply
It was brand new last December - still within its warranty period but I guess I have to send it away to have it repaired - bit of an issue as I don't have a spare anymore. I'll go by my local sleep lab and see if there's anything they have available for loan.....
Post Reply Post Reply
AirSense 10 AutoSet machines are well known to be noisy to some users. It depends on how sensitive you are to background noise while you are sleeping. The "Darth Vader" noise is very common. I has two replacements  before I blew up at Resmed here in Australia. I now have a  AirSense 10 Auto For Her which suits me better and is pretty quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
This issue/problem happened to me during my first night of use post-purchase (last night).  I had been using the same machine model/brand for three weeks "on loan" through my healthcare provider without any such issue.

The DME vendor (name withheld) told me to set the EPR on to 3 (it was on 0).  He thought this might reduce the noise.

Does anyone have any information or thoughts about this recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 07:28 PM)alankittner Wrote: This issue/problem happened to me during my first night of use post-purchase (last night).  I had been using the same machine model/brand for three weeks "on loan" through my healthcare provider without any such issue.

The DME vendor (name withheld) told me to set the EPR on to 3 (it was on 0).  He thought this might reduce the noise.

Does anyone have any information or thoughts about this recommendation?

In EPR the motor is going to speed up and slow down with every inhale and exhale. It will be slower on exhale, so that part of the cycle may be a little quieter. EPR may let you get to sleep faster, so perhaps that is their thinking... But seriously? I think they are blowing smoke!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response. I will know more tonight when I use it again. Fortunately, I can return it and get a new one from the vendor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alan, a properly functioning Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is as close to silent as any machine can be. If you are hearing noises other than air moving, it is likely defective and a warranty replacement issue. Offer to bring your machine in to the DME and run it side-by-side to any new machine and if the noise level is significantly different, he agrees to replace or perform warranty service.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 438 47 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 114 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamstation II -> AirSense 11 AutoSet todivefor 10 656 02-23-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: drwoodr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.