Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy CPAP!
Noisy CPAP!
I have recently acquired a used ResMed  S8 Elite because my old clunker, which works well, does not have a humidifier and I am waking up each morning with a sinus-type headache. The "new" CPAP is in excellent condition and from a trusted source. Tried it for first time last night and it was noisy! Motor/pump churning away in the background and every inhale and exhale VERY audible. When I finally manged to fall asleep I was startled awake by a loud popping sound from the swivel fixture on my nasal pillow "mask". Sounded like air bubbles bursting through water to the surface - pop, pop, pop! However I fiddled I could not make these noises go away. I think the popping sound had to do with me relaxing in sleep, air escaping through my lips and the flow of air in the hose being reduced. Something to do with moisture from the humidifier?
I bought a used CPAP because I could not handle the idea of another night in a Sleep Centre - which is required if I need a prescription for a new CPAP. Now I have a CPAP that is keeping me awake!
Any help, suggestions etc. much appreciated. I would rate my apnea at moderate.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy CPAP!
(01-01-2020, 11:23 AM)Mostert Wrote: Something to do with moisture from the humidifier?

Probably this ^
Check all the seals in the humidifier or chamber. Something (Seals) may need replaced.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Did not think of that. Will look for seals and check them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or maybe you just have the humidity setting too high or you need to do something to keep the hose warm (to stop condensation) like a fabric wrapping.
Post Reply Post Reply
That pop pop pop is the sound rainout makes. It doesn’t always rain on your face. You’re going to have to lower your humidity or buy a hose wrap. Or both. I have a Snugglehose on mine. Ive found that it also eliminates the noise the hose made rubbing on the bed, carpet or nightstand. I love it! You could also go to a fabric store and buy some flannel or a similar material and wrap the hose that way. Either way will do.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
If the seals aren’t the problem, then you have set the humidifier too high, and need to lower it.  Also, as others have stated, buy a soft fleece hose wrap, which usually helps control “rainout.”

As your are aware, your S8 is fairly outdated.  Give some consideration to upgrading to a newer machine down the road (preferably before it breaks down entirely.)

Do you have a doctor that will write you a prescription without having a sleep study?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I have a sleeve for the hose and will put it on the hose right away!
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I can tell none of these "sleep doctors" will write a Rx without a sleep study.
I'm sure they charge the government an arm and a leg for the sleep study and they
are not going to turn their back on free money. It's all a scam - including the b.s. that
it's "illegal" for a mere non-doctor to set his or her own CPAP. I've still got my old
museum-piece as a back-up in case of total failure. In the meanwhile I can keep up
my search for a Rx without a sleep-study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2020, 05:39 PM)Mostert Wrote: As far as I can tell none of these "sleep doctors" will write a Rx without a sleep study.
I'm sure they charge the government an arm and a leg for the sleep study and they
are not going to turn their back on free money. It's all a scam - including the b.s. that
it's "illegal" for a mere non-doctor to set his or her own CPAP. I've still got my old
museum-piece as a back-up in case of total failure. In the meanwhile I can keep up
my search for a Rx without a sleep-study.

You do know the Ontario ADP program pays 75% of the cost of a XPAP and they establish pricing for the machines.  But, they want a sleep study to demonstrate the need for the machine and which type ov machine is needed.  Only sleep doctors can prescribe for the ADP program and they are held accountable by the program.

Last time I checked, OHIP reimburses something slightly over $600 for a sleep study ..... so only a few fingers. 

I have seen machines on kijji and other similar web sites.  If it's an Ontario machine  I would talk them down to maximum 25% they actually paid.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,389 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,421 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,676 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement 3rdMarDiv 17 6,446 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Respironics Dreamstation - noisy motor? bernie01 33 19,917 05-31-2021, 04:02 AM
Last Post: koala1
  Noisy DreamStation BandMom 76 41,162 03-03-2021, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Colorlady

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.