Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy Dream Station
Noisy Dream Station
I've been on a CPAP machine since 2008; up until June, I used an old school CPAP that had an on/off button and nothing else (A Respironincs M-series, I think).  Decided it wouldn't last forever so I "upgraded" to a Dream station.  

The first night, I noticed an odd whirring or whistling sound- not very loud, but it oscillated as my breathing changed the pressure and the fan motor's speed (whhrrrrRRRRrrr ...rrrRRRRRrrrr....).  It was just too distracting for me or my wife to sleep.  

The supplier switched it out for a new machine- same model, and for a few weeks it was perfectly silent. Then, I went on a road trip (with the machine) and when I got back, this machine seemed to have the same sound.  I messed with it for a few hours and must have done something because finally it was quiet again.  

Now, we had the house painted, moved around some, and the noise is back and won't seem to quit.

I've tried messing with the filter, going with and without the humidifier tank (which I don't normally use), switching hoses, switching masks- no good, the noise is still there- it really sounds like it's deep in the heart of the machine, probably the fan motor.  In a noisy house during the day, with a lot of ambient noise, it's barely audible, but at night, when everything is still it's very noticeable (it wouldn't be as distracting if it were a continuous, steady noise).

Any ideas as to what I might try?  Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy Dream Station
Sounds like the blower fan is bad and the machine should be replaced. If your Supplier is willing, try to get the Resmed Aircurve 10 Autoset in place of the Philips Dreamstation Auto. The Resmed is a quieter machine, and I don't think you will regret the change. I also had a M-Series and it was a reliable, long-lasting machine. Both Resmed and Dreamstation can (rarely) have these pneumatic block failures, and they usually occur fairly early in the life of the machine. Unless there are seals or loosely connected parts, the defect is generally under warranty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,389 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Exclaimation [Diagnosis] 2 Yrs CPAP & I Still Don't Dream - Eliminated Obstructive But Central Apneas Present droo 5 532 08-31-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: droo
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,421 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,676 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
Question Resmed AirTouch F20 on Dream Station 2: X factor? SleeperAwake21 1 437 05-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: SleeperAwake21

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.