Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy DreamStation
Noisy DreamStation
Help. I am using a Philips DreamStation. I am very happy with it, but there is kind of a groaning noise with every breath I take. It happens on both inhalation and exhalation, but the tone is a little different from one to the other. I am keeping my husband awake at night with this droning noise going up and down every time I breathe. Any suggestions? At the DME dealer in town that actually stocks CPAPs, this is the only machine they carry. I actually like the machine, just not the noisy breathing. Is there any way to eliminate the noise or dampen the sound coming from the machine?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy DreamStation
Hi BandMom,
There shouldn't be a groaning sound when using this machine, although some of us are just more sensitive to hearing our own breathing.

Be sure the machine is sitting securely on a nightstand. You can try placing a rubber shelf liner under it. Make sure all connections (hoses) are secure.

Other than that, you can try some white noise to drown out the sound of your breathing.
I run a fan and a humidifier in my room...can't sleep without that sound.

If you still feel that the machine is making too much noise, then I would return it. Try to get an exchange.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal Rose. I'll experiment and try to eliminate the noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BandMom,
If you can’t resolve the groaning noise by checking connections with your mask and where your hose connects to your machine, since you haven’t had it very long, you might want to see if you can exchange it for another one.
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2015, 01:19 AM)BandMom Wrote: Help. I am using a Philips DreamStation. I am very happy with it, but there is kind of a groaning noise with every breath I take. It happens on both inhalation and exhalation, but the tone is a little different from one to the other. I am keeping my husband awake at night with this droning noise going up and down every time I breathe. Any suggestions? At the DME dealer in town that actually stocks CPAPs, this is the only machine they carry. I actually like the machine, just not the noisy breathing. Is there any way to eliminate the noise or dampen the sound coming from the machine?

Thanks
Try the machine without the humidifier attached to see what area the noise is coming from. (Attach the hose to the blower side only.)
I find as the water level goes down the noise increases on some machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been having the same problem with a brand new factory sealed DreamStation BiPAP Auto after two nights. Took it back to the DME today and they said they've had a rash of similar complaints about the same grinding noise I'm hearing. When the RT detached the humidifier then moved it around in every orientation while it ran produced a number of noises indicating there are loose objects inside rattling around. Will be getting a replacement in a week ... I feel a recall coming on :-(
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a Dreamstation and was also getting a semi-loud whirring/whistling sound with a tailing groan on each inhalation. Just wondering: anyone else? Anyone finding a solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
The first one I got made similar odd noises at times. The replacement has been quite, there is a slight "whooshing" noise as you breathe but nothing that would keep most people awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
i had a problem with a wheezing sound. it turned out that i did not change the air filter soon enough. i think 1 of my cat's thru some fur into it. changed the fine filter, and washed/ dried the foam filter, and it went away. also check to make sure the humidifier is not separating from the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The previous Philips Respironics PRS1 machines tended to send air down the air hose, and it would go up your nose, and you would hear it by bone conduction to your ears.

This can have some strange effects. You may hear it coming from somewhere other than your CPAP machine. You may hear it yourself, but others standing by may not hear it, making them think you're crazy. If you do something like put the CPAP in a box to block the noise, you may still hear it.

I have no solution, just pointing out something that may make it difficult to fix the noise problem.

I don't know for sure whether the DreamStations do this the way the PRS1 models do.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,368 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 381 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,404 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,643 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,694 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,526 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement 3rdMarDiv 17 6,372 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.