Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy DreamStation
RE: Noisy DreamStation
(03-20-2018, 06:28 PM)Alavida Wrote: Hydrangea, can you please clarify "I *feel* better when I use a DreamStation.  And the Dreamwear is more comfortable on my face. But it's too much noise for me, doubley so."

How do you *feel* better when you use a DreamStation?

I am tearing my hair out over the noise. At first it was fine, then it progressively became an issue, and now I can't use it at all due to noise which I now know is a HUGE issue as my apnea is severe Sad

When I use the DreamStation, my side-effects of my sleep apnea seem to disappear.  I don't have brain fog during the day.  Instead of 10-12 hours of sleep needed, I only need 7-8 hours to feel rested.  Instead of needing 4 hours to wake up in the morning, I only need 10 minutes.  I don't feel tired during the daytime.

But when I use the ResMed, even with the same settings, I have all of the above side-effects of my sleep apnea.  I'm CONFIDENT I just need to tweak something in order to get the same great benefit from the ResMed... I just don't know what.

So I'm back to using the DreamStation full time.  I can handle the noise.  Thankfully my DS doesn't make the most obnoxious noise that some other DreamStation users have reported.  In order to minimize the noise, you MUST use the humidifier.  And I've heard that removing the finer filter (and just leaving the larger filter) can help minimize some noise.

What I can't handle is the noise of my DreamStation PLUS the noise of the Dreamwear.  It's just noise+noise.  So I use the P10 plus my Dreamstation, so it's silence+noise, thus I'm only getting noise from one source (DS) instead of both (DS + Dreamwear).  That's just me.  I'm sensitive, I know.

Have you tried wearing earplugs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for responding!

I have worn ear plugs for decades, I am very sensitive to sound.

I have been using DS + DreamWear mask for nearly six months. The first few months I was so grateful! Then the noise started, and has grown louder. I got my DM to swap out the DS, but I'm not sure they gave me a new machine. It helped a little but not much and not at all after awhile; it may even be worse, and certainly is worsening. It's now at the point that I can't sleep with it so wearing it defeats the purpose. But my apnea is serious and I must find a solution.

I tried a Respironics nasal pillow mask and felt like I was unable to exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2018, 10:04 PM)Alavida Wrote: Thank you for responding!

I have worn ear plugs for decades, I am very sensitive to sound.

I have been using DS + DreamWear mask for nearly six months. The first few months I was so grateful! Then the noise started, and has grown louder. I got my DM to swap out the DS, but I'm not sure they gave me a new machine. It helped a little but not much and not at all after awhile; it may even be worse, and certainly is worsening. It's now at the point that I can't sleep with it so wearing it defeats the purpose. But my apnea is serious and I must find a solution.

I tried a Respironics nasal pillow mask and felt like I was unable to exhale.

Regarding the noise - have you tried replacing the fine filter, or just removing it entirely?

Regarding the mask - I would encourage you to start a new thread asking for advice on that.  I know you'd get great advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I went through this entire thread and am trying everything anyone found helpful. I rinsed the reusable filter, apparently I was never equipped with the disposable one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Alavida, The Dreamstations don't come with reuseable filters. You may want to buy some replacement filters.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you put the machine inside a drawer of a bedside table, with the hose and electric routed out of a 2-inch diameter hole in the rear it will be nearly silent. If you still hear noise, then applying felt to the drawer will eliminate the rest. The machine will get plenty of air, and the enclosed devise won't look so medical. I use a 2-drawer bedside table in this way and not only is there no noise, but the machine cannot possible fall.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
WallaWalla,
not to be argumentative, but the Blue Pollen filter on the DreamStation is washable and reusable. I have notice a difference in the sound of my DreamStation when using aftermarket filters vs factory filters. It's much quieter (less pump whining noise) when using the factory filters. So much so, I make it a point to buy Respironics filters only. I have noticed that some of the aftermarket filters now have some extra holes in the reusable pollen filter, so maybe this is a known problem.

Analog
Best regards,

Analog
Post Reply Post Reply
analog, Your right. I had a brain fart and was thinking of the ResMeds.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I recently received a new Dreamstation auto CPAP machine and I am having the same noise problem. My old Remstar auto was completely silent.

This new machine has a high pitched sound from the air flow directly right out of air outlet and it carries through the hose. Oddly when I have the mask on my wife doesn't hear the sound that I hear. It appears that I am not hearing the sound directly through my ears. It is very apparent and annoying to me while wearing my mask.  It is like a slightly whining/groaning that changes pitch as I inhale. Exhaling lowers the pitch somewhat and it ramps back up as I inhale. Reminds me of a car accelerating fast in the distance, changing gears as it goes.

I'm wearing a Resmed AirFit F30 full face mask. Is anyone having the same problem using the Dreamwear masks? Nasal pillow masks?

I tried using a heated hose, an unheated hose, a different mask, removing the humidifier, changing sleeping positions and nothing stops the sound. I have new filters in the machine.

I don't have to worry about sleep apnea now, because I can't get to sleep with this Dreamstation noise! I set my Dohm white noise machine to a louder setting and that doesn't drown out the noise. I may have to go back to my old machine. The noise is like water torture; you can't escape it.

I just don't understand how Philips could make a machine as quiet as my Remstar System One Auto and then replace it with a machine that make this incessant noise? This is not something they couldn't have known about. My positive experience with my old machine is why I decided to stay with Philips. What huge disappointment it is.

I anyone finds a solution to this problem please post it.
Post Reply Post Reply
@snoozemeister, I'm the one who originally started this thread, and I used a Dreamwear mask and tried all the solutions you describe and then some, and still had all the sound problems. I only was able to resolve it by getting a different brand machine. After much research and struggle with my insurance company, I now use the Resmed CPAP and Dreamwear mask, and all is well.

The problem precisely is the Dreamstation machine. You could try what I did, and print out all the noise problems that consistently are described by users online, and take it to your doc / insurance, and see if you can get it changed out for a Resmed -- or revert to your old brand, Remstar auto.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,389 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,422 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,677 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,713 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,533 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement 3rdMarDiv 17 6,448 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.