Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy DreamStation
RE: Noisy DreamStation
The noise from my machine was quite audible to my wife -- she woke me up yelling that she could not sleep due to the noise! I was back at my sleep clinic today and they said that Phillips is aware of the problem and addressing it. My guess is they got a bad batch of parts from a supplier. I got a replacement today for my loaner. I hope this one is quiet all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2016, 04:12 PM)archangle Wrote: The previous Philips Respironics PRS1 machines tended to send air down the air hose, and it would go up your nose, and you would hear it by bone conduction to your ears.

This can have some strange effects. You may hear it coming from somewhere other than your CPAP machine. You may hear it yourself, but others standing by may not hear it, making them think you're crazy. If you do something like put the CPAP in a box to block the noise, you may still hear it.

I have no solution, just pointing out something that may make it difficult to fix the noise problem.

I don't know for sure whether the DreamStations do this the way the PRS1 models do.

Duhhh.... That should say "The previous Philips Respironics PRS1 machines tended to send NOISE down the air hose"
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wondered about that, but figured I'd get called a troll again if I asked.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree.  I've had the Dreamstation for about 4 days now and the noise on the intake of breath, at the mask is really unbelievably loud. It is VERY difficult to fall asleep as it suddenly increases on every breath. The machine itself is completely silent, but something about the way it pushes the air into the mask down the tubing is different and causes a really loud wind noise on every breath in.  It is the same mask as I used before with my former machine, and there was zero noise from the mask, so I know it is not the mask.  I also switched hoses from my previous one to the one that came with the machine (smaller diameter hose), and the noise remains the same.  I'm about to return this machine and try the ResMed Airsense 10 instead. I originally chose the Dreamstation between the two of them for the size (it is much smaller and you can detach the humidifier if not using it, so it's FAR better for traveling, but with the noise, it's simply unusable!
Post Reply Post Reply
Consider that you may have a defective machine. I've used both an S9 and a DS and found the noise level to be very similar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2017, 11:00 AM)MARKOAD Wrote: I agree.  I've had the Dreamstation for about 4 days now and the noise on the intake of breath, at the mask is really unbelievably loud. It is VERY difficult to fall asleep as it suddenly increases on every breath. The machine itself is completely silent, but something about the way it pushes the air into the mask down the tubing is different and causes a really loud wind noise on every breath in.  It is the same mask as I used before with my former machine, and there was zero noise from the mask, so I know it is not the mask.  I also switched hoses from my previous one to the one that came with the machine (smaller diameter hose), and the noise remains the same.  I'm about to return this machine and try the ResMed Airsense 10 instead. I originally chose the Dreamstation between the two of them for the size (it is much smaller and you can detach the humidifier if not using it, so it's FAR better for traveling, but with the noise, it's simply unusable!

Sorry if this is an obvious question but have you changed the hose settings on the machine to the smaller diameter?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a brand new Dream Machine.  My husband has the Resmed s9.  My machine was making that noise you were referring to last night which was the first time I was using it.  It was annoying my husband and myself so much that I had to turn it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn’t know there were settings for hoses of different diameters, so that information is very helpful, thank you! However, that isn’t a factor as I was originally using my other, wider-diameter hose and the noise was the same. Changing hose diameters didn’t have any impact on the noise at all. HOWEVER! I have good news to report. I removed the 2nd air filter (the ultra fine disposable/replaceable one), and the noise went down by half! So, while it’s still a little bit noisier than my older machine, a lot of that inhalation wind noise at the mask has gone away! I highly suggest anyone else having this same noise issue give it a try. I still have the washable filter in place, but have removed the fine cloth secondary one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Curious if you solved the noisy Respironics Dreamwear issue. It's been mostly silent for 1 month, but now the noise is keeping us awake. Would appreciate any insight.
Thanks,
Howard
Post Reply Post Reply
I called my place and they tried to tell me it was normal.  Went down there armed with printouts of all the comments on this board.  They gave me a new machine and it's fine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,388 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 388 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,417 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,673 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,710 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,532 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  ResMed Noisy (Pnuematic Block) Replacement 3rdMarDiv 17 6,443 11-10-2021, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.