Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy S10 autoset
RE: Noisy S10 autoset
Can you move the machine place it under the bed further away so it’s not at ear level ?
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s what I’m experimenting with, along with pink noise and a slightly higher melatonin dosage.

I tried white, pink, and brown noise, and meadow, brook, rain, and ocean sounds. So far pink seems to mask it the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2019, 09:07 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: I’m having some trouble with wheezing on a brand new Airsense also. It’s definitely coming from the intake.

I think the problem is the design of the intake. There seems to be an acoustic resonance in the blue silicone tube behind the filter and the chamber behind it. If the fan makes any noise at the resonant frequency (almost impossible to avoid across the range of flow and pressure), that wheezy resonance begins.

Partially restricting the tube inlet breaks up the resonance, albeit with a louder whooshing sound as a result.

I know the flow sensor is on the inlet side, so I don’t know if it is possible to do anything to change the resonance (either shift the frequency or reduce the Q) without affecting the flow sensor accuracy.

If the wheezing is a wheezing/whistling sound which varies on inhale and exhale, this is how I fixed the problem on a Dreamstation and two Auto S10s:  Both brands have doughnut gaskets which the water tank couples with.  There are two in the Resmed and one oval one in the Dreamstation.  There is also the gasket between the tank halves in the Resmed and a large removable upper humidifier gasket in the Dreamstation.  The solution is immediate and simple:  Apply a light coat of KY jelly to the surfaces of the gaskets.  This fix lasts for months and is repeatable.  I sincerely hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a side note. When you open and close the air filter door, be very gentle and cautious with it. It can break very easily. There are a couple of small plastic pegs on the door that act as part of a hinge. 

Mine broke within a couple of months of receiving my machine. I called my DME supplier and was told to bring it in and they would give me a new one. They did just that. 

The door opens at kind of a strange angle. If you try and open it at any other angle, there's a good chance one of those pegs will break off.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had mine for a good length of time (~5 mo) before this happened to me. It went from being whisper quiet to being loud enough under load (as in at operating pressure, being used as intended) that it would wake both me and Mrs. Psycho up. Fortunately, I have a good DME (heck, thanks to what I've learned here, I've helped my RT learn a lot) and they swapped it without any fuss. It was definitely something internal.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 01:43 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: I had mine for a good length of time (~5 mo) before this happened to me. It went from being whisper quiet to being loud enough under load (as in at operating pressure, being used as intended) that it would wake both me and Mrs. Psycho up. Fortunately, I have a good DME (heck, thanks to what I've learned here, I've helped my RT learn a lot) and they swapped it without any fuss. It was definitely something internal.

I had one for two years that was quiet as a mouse, but then started making noises.  I learned how to fix the whistling/wheezing, but now, on my third S10 Auto, I have two different noises which begin in the early morning hours.  I think I have one of them fixed by using a small woodworking clamp and clapping the upper and lower water tank halves together.  If that has fixed the whooshing noise, like a pressure release/relief, then I am left with a sort of pinging/escaping-air noise which is short, irregularly intermittent, and begins between 4AM and 7 every morning.  

Heated hose, 5' of downslope to machine, no dips, every setting imaginable in manual, plus auto, hose temp as high as 82. Room is pretty cool, 64-70.  But I'm not out of ideas.

I sent one S10 Auto back to Resmed under warranty with an MP3 recording on a thumb drive of 20 or 30 instances of the noise and the precise times they occurred on the two-hour recording.  Not a word from them after 2 1/2 months.  I bought another S10 out-of-pocket when I sent that one back, which is the one I'm now in a cage death match with.

I have been told by an industry person that Resmed changed motor/fan bearing suppliers and has had a lot of trouble.  Initially they would just swap the machines out with a new one, but now they are repairing.  I do not know if that's the cause of my noises.  I know it most definitely is not the cause of the whistling/wheezing noises.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 3 16,827 04-15-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: PinehillJoe
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 198 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,464 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 414 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,480 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,454 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,905 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.