Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy S9 machine
RE: Noisy S9 machine
(03-24-2012, 03:03 PM)pssnn Wrote: I got the S9 Autoset with the humidifier a couple weeks ago. It was very quiet the first few days. After that it developed a slight whistle mostly on exhale. An extensive search of this forum and others has revealed that the whistle noise is widespread with this machine and probably nothing that can be eliminated.

Mine did too, within a month or so of getting it. It doesn't, now, a bit more then a year later. Not sure when it stopped, but I did just change the filter a few months ago. Check that. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2012, 09:19 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Mine did too, within a month or so of getting it. It doesn't, now, a bit more then a year later. Not sure when it stopped, but I did just change the filter a few months ago. Check that. :-)

Thanks CHanlon,

I just removed the filter and took a look. It looks like new as it should since it has seen only about 80 hours of use. Maybe just re-seating it will make a difference. I'll find out tonight Smile
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2012, 03:03 PM)pssnn Wrote: I got the S9 Autoset with the humidifier a couple weeks ago. It was very quiet the first few days. After that it developed a slight whistle mostly on exhale. An extensive search of this forum and others has revealed that the whistle noise is widespread with this machine and probably nothing that can be eliminated.

The whistling is proportional to pressure, and yours might be set to a constant high pressure. Please tell us what your pressure settings are. You can look at these by holding down both the small buttons for several seconds. Use the knob to select between different kinds of settings and to just look around.

Or you can use Sleepyhead to give you all this info, and I guess Rescan too.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Netskier,

I am not sure if the whistle correlates to high pressure or not. I think I read on the forums that some people have the issue at lower pressures as well. Also I do not hear it constantly, just most of the time.

As for my pressure, it is a constant 14 cm of water column in the CPAP mode with a 5 minute ramp from 6 to 14 cm of H2O. I recently changed the ramp from 30 minutes to 5 minutes but I cant remember if the whistle was occurring during ramp or not.

CHanlon,

The fiddling with the filter did not help. The unit still whistled as previously described.

There have been numerous reports of this issue and I am surprised that ResMed has not determined the root cause. Perhaps since this appears to be simply a nuisance and not a performance or reliability issue there may be no motivation to determine the root cause. Hopefully there is something in the works.

"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2012, 05:11 PM)bobharford Wrote: Hi
I use resmed s9 with humidifier.
It seems very noisy at night. When te auto pressure ramps up.
The wife has taken to sleeping in another roomHuh just like the pre diagnosis days.

The website boasts about the quietness!
I rang my supplier who said that it is normal.

sounds laike a hair dryer at times.

Anyone else have this problem?

Your supplier is either misinformed or a jerk. Take your machine to Radio Shack and use their sound pressure level (SPL) meter to measure the noise, and report that back to Resmed. Compare the SPL to Resmed's marketing materials. Be sure to use the same scale as Resmed used. SPL meters are reasonably priced; I bought one a few years ago for thirty bucks. My Resmed S9 Autoset is inaudible at 5 cm, and very quiet at 13 cm, so you got a lemon, and Resmed should make you right and exhange it for free.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 10:05 AM)pssnn Wrote: Hi Netskier,

I am not sure if the whistle correlates to high pressure or not. I think I read on the forums that some people have the issue at lower pressures as well. Also I do not hear it constantly, just most of the time.

As for my pressure, it is a constant 14 cm of water column in the CPAP mode with a 5 minute ramp from 6 to 14 cm of H2O. I recently changed the ramp from 30 minutes to 5 minutes but I cant remember if the whistle was occurring during ramp or not.

CHanlon,

The fiddling with the filter did not help. The unit still whistled as previously described.

There have been numerous reports of this issue and I am surprised that ResMed has not determined the root cause. Perhaps since this appears to be simply a nuisance and not a performance or reliability issue there may be no motivation to determine the root cause. Hopefully there is something in the works.

Hi Chanlon,

Does the whistllng occur as soon as you do your Maskfit test before going to sleep? Testing during the Maskfit test takes only a few seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,131 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,386 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 388 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,417 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,673 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.