Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy S9 machine
Ohmy 
Noisy S9 machine
Hi
I use resmed s9 with humidifier.
It seems very noisy at night. When te auto pressure ramps up.
The wife has taken to sleeping in another roomHuh just like the pre diagnosis days.

The website boasts about the quietness!
I rang my supplier who said that it is normal.

sounds laike a hair dryer at times.

Anyone else have this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy S9 machine
Hi bobharford
This what Apnea Board member ResMed vice president posted in our old fourm:

At ResMed, we believe everyone that needs CPAP is entitled to a quiet machine. Ultimately, you can/should take a noisy device in to your HME, but before you get to that step there may be a few things you can do on your own at home to eliminate the sounds.

The most common whistling or other high pitched sounds are caused by small leaks which allow air to escape. In many cases sounds like these are caused by mask fit, sticky mask valves, or loose connections. Another common cause is dust that has entered the device. Before returning the unit to your HME, please take these steps - they may help in the diagnostic process and in many cases allow you to solve the issue.

* Remove the dust filter from the back of the flow generator. Check for damage or clogging – Both conditions can cause noises. Replace if necessary. If there is a small amount of dust that is causing the noise, it will likely work it's way through if the filter is replaced.
* While fully awake, disconnect the tubing from the machine and place the mask on your face. Disconnect the tubing from the mask inspect the surface for scratches or other physical deformities. Reconnect the tubing to your mask and make sure the tubing is firmly connected to the mask inlet (no play or rotation on the fitting) and breathe normally. Do you hear the sound (even very faintly, as sounds feel amplified when fully connected and ready for bed)?
- If so, please wash the mask and tubing very thoroughly in warm water, then allow to air dry and repeat the test. In many cases a slightly sticky valve in the mask assembly will cause a whistling sound.
- If available, repeating the test with a different mask may be helpful since this will give you multiple sounds to compare and help detect/isolate any whistling.
* With your machine set up for a regular night of sleep (and all connections checked for tightness), place the mask on your face and turn the machine on. Now complete a slow breathing cycle: inhale, pause (with lungs inflated) for 1-2 seconds, exhale, pause (with lungs deflated) for 1-2 seconds. Repeat the process a few times, taking note of any sounds. Now breathe normally. Do you hear the whistling sounds? Did the sounds change and become evident at a particular point in the breathing cycle.
- If the sound only appears in the pauses during the breathing cycle and you have verified all connections are secure, please take the unit in to your DME for evaluation.
- If the sounds only appears one specific portion of the breathing cycle, it is more likely that you have a small leak. Reposition the mask on your face or tighten slightly, as appropriate (home mask fitting/adjustment instructional videos can be found on the right side of this page from our YouTube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/ResMedAmeric...FAF5627F3F)
- After adjusting your mask fit, repeat the test while hooked up to your machine. If you still hear a pronounced sound, please take the unit in to your DME for evaluation.

If all this fails, please take the device back to your HME. ResMed has a 2 year guarantee on all flow generators sold in the US

Gil Ben-Dov
VP Social Media
ResMed
Post Reply Post Reply
And what I said before is we users know where the sound is coming from.

But yes, check the hose connections. Does it quiet down later? If you turn ramp off, is it just as loud?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2012, 05:11 PM)bobharford Wrote: Hi
The wife has taken to sleeping in another roomHuh just like the pre diagnosis days.

I have an S9, and it is very quiet. You don't show what machine you use, although since you mention auto pressure, I assume you have an Autoset. Is that correct? If so, at what pressures are you having your noise - starting by what is the pressure setting on your machine (min and max). If you ramp up to 20, it certainly will be more noisy than at 6. And as Paula02 mentioned, are you using ramp, and is that when you notice the noise? But a hair dryer? Never for a normal machine.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up a S9 and took it back in a hurry, only time that thing was quiet, was when it was setting there turned off.
Post Reply Post Reply
A noisy S9 sounds like it is broken or put together wrong. I can't hear mine. I have to open my mouth to see if it is working.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2012, 11:41 PM)Cutter Wrote: A noisy S9 sounds like it is broken or put together wrong. I can't hear mine. I have to open my mouth to see if it is working.

My new s9 autoset is amazingly quiet....I love it!

Lucy
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2012, 05:11 PM)bobharford Wrote: Hi

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you checked your filter lately? Mine was driving me nuts with a funny noise. Sounded like wind coming thru a crack in a window on a windy night.Then I checked and replaced my filters the white one and the gray sponge one you can wash. It was back to quiet after I changed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got the S9 Autoset with the humidifier a couple weeks ago. It was very quiet the first few days. After that it developed a slight whistle mostly on exhale. An extensive search of this forum and others has revealed that the whistle noise is widespread with this machine and probably nothing that can be eliminated.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,197 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,396 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 390 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,423 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,680 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,797 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.