Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy Simplus FF Mask
Noisy Simplus FF Mask
My titration study was preformed using the F&P Simplus, as well as, one being issued to me when I received my S9. My anatomy seems to be right in the middle of the middle and large mask. I have had problems with the mask whistling, popping(oscillating), and leaking with either of the mask sizes. My AHI was low because I wasn't getting any sleep with it. I have since moved on to a P10 nasal pillow system and chin strap with much better success. AM I the only one that had problems with this mask?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] Noisy Simplus FF Mask
I also had this mask during my trial period and also between sizes. It made this horrible whistling sort of squeaking sound. The hospital said to put Vaseline on it on the inside. Didn't sound like a solution to me. A friend however loves hers but my new supplier said not that one it squeaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think petroleum products would break down the silicone! And who wants to smell vasoline all night?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2014, 01:45 PM)sgearhart Wrote: My titration study was preformed using the F&P Simplus, as well as, one being issued to me when I received my S9. My anatomy seems to be right in the middle of the middle and large mask. I have had problems with the mask whistling, popping(oscillating), and leaking with either of the mask sizes. My AHI was low because I wasn't getting any sleep with it. I have since moved on to a P10 nasal pillow system and chin strap with much better success. AM I the only one that had problems with this mask?

I have used the F&P Simplus mask for the past 7~8 months & found it to be a wonderful piece of design & engineering. However, that said, it does have a tendency to ride upward during the night. An effective solution is here on this post.

When my Simplus whistles it's because I have the humidity too high and water droplets form in the holes of the exhaust ports, which act like reads as the air passes though. The velocity of the air causes the droplets to vibrate producing the whistling sounds. Solution - lower the humidity setting.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2014, 07:15 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(11-14-2014, 01:45 PM)sgearhart Wrote: My titration study was preformed using the F&P Simplus, as well as, one being issued to me when I received my S9. My anatomy seems to be right in the middle of the middle and large mask. I have had problems with the mask whistling, popping(oscillating), and leaking with either of the mask sizes. My AHI was low because I wasn't getting any sleep with it. I have since moved on to a P10 nasal pillow system and chin strap with much better success. AM I the only one that had problems with this mask?

I have used the F&P Simplus mask for the past 7~8 months & found it to be a wonderful piece of design & engineering. However, that said, it does have a tendency to ride upward during the night. An effective solution is here on this post.

When my Simplus whistles it's because I have the humidity too high and water droplets form in the holes of the exhaust ports, which act like reads as the air passes though. The velocity of the air causes the droplets to vibrate producing the whistling sounds. Solution - lower the humidity setting.

It is interesting that the F&P masks seem to have that whistling tendency. For a year an a half I used the F&P Zest mask and always had a problem with that but have never had that problem with my Mirage Quattro. I am quite sure that the mask's propensity to trap water is due to irregularities in the diameter of the vent holes.

I agree with you that the whistling is caused by water trapped in the vent holes but some of us need the humidity to avoid dry mouth so turning the humidifier down is not a usable solution for some.

My solution would be to tape a single layer of gauze over the vent holes. With only a single layer, the gauze should not affect the vent rate more than extremely little. I would even go to a second layer if one did not work. For clarification I am not talking about a single gauze pad. The gauze pads are made up of a number of layers of gauze. Separate and use only one of those layers.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody for the input! I have some Velcro cable ties that would mimic Wozzie38's idea. I would like to be able to switch between the mask types for a change. Basically being able to sound like Darth Vader rather than looking like Hannibal Lector sounds appealing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 12:19 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I agree with you that the whistling is caused by water trapped in the vent holes but some of us need the humidity to avoid dry mouth so turning the humidifier down is not a usable solution for some.
Best Regards, PaytonA

My belief, formed by experience & much research is, applying water vapour to the PAP air is not to treat "dry mouth". Dry mouth is caused by therapy air exiting orally which is bound to occur with NP & nasal masks. It happens too with FFM's but to a lesser extent, & only when the mask leaks. In a FFM the PAP air is applied to both mouth & nose so the pressures are balanced and no air is able to exit via the mouth, unless a mask leak upsets this balance. This is not the case with nasal masks. In their case, PAP is applied only to the nose - there is no counter acting oral pressure, so unless the patient learns to sleep with their tongue pressed against the roof of their mouth whilst they sleep, therapy air will escape. The results are dry mouth, defeat of therapy & tooth decay.

Then why add humidity?
Raising the humidity of the therapy air eliminates drying out, cracking & bleeding of nasal tissue. Maybe it improves gas exchange within the lungs. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member can enlighten us on this.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2014, 03:59 PM)woozie38 Wrote:
(11-16-2014, 12:19 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I agree with you that the whistling is caused by water trapped in the vent holes but some of us need the humidity to avoid dry mouth so turning the humidifier down is not a usable solution for some.
Best Regards, PaytonA

My belief, formed by experience & much research is, applying water vapour to the PAP air is not to treat "dry mouth". Dry mouth is caused by therapy air exiting orally which is bound to occur with NP & nasal masks. It happens too with FFM's but to a lesser extent, & only when the mask leaks. In a FFM the PAP air is applied to both mouth & nose so the pressures are balanced and no air is able to exit via the mouth, unless a mask leak upsets this balance. This is not the case with nasal masks. In their case, PAP is applied only to the nose - there is no counter acting oral pressure, so unless the patient learns to sleep with their tongue pressed against the roof of their mouth whilst they sleep, therapy air will escape. The results are dry mouth, defeat of therapy & tooth decay.

Then why add humidity?
Raising the humidity of the therapy air eliminates drying out, cracking & bleeding of nasal tissue. Maybe it improves gas exchange within the lungs. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member can enlighten us on this.

I agree with most of what you say, however there are a few things that in my case do not hold true. First, I do use a FFM and my 90% leak rate for the last 3 months is 4.00. I do get dry mouth without enough humidification. You are right about the pressures being pretty much balanced but there are times when they get out of balance without being caused by a leak. This can occur during fairly rapid pressure changes like when a bilevel machine goes from IPAP to EPAP or vice versa. I have awakened at times when air was being forced out between my closed lips with no significant leaks.

Leaks would not necessarily cause a pressure differential between the mouth and the mask as long as they weren't greater than the machine could compensate for or if they were located close to the mouth.

To sum up, humidification is necessary in my case to minimize dry mouth even with a FFM and low leaks. Or maybe it is just aliens after all! Laugh-a-lot

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noisy nasal pillows? justinfreeman 7 1,390 09-28-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Noisy Fans in New CPAPs stevew77 0 389 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM
Last Post: stevew77
Question [CPAP] BREAS Z2 very noisy at mask WWinNJ 3 1,423 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Last Post: PHXSleeper
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 550 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  [How to] Fix Your Own Noisy CPAP - Don't discard old CPAP with worn bearings SuperSleeper 2 16,679 06-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] How do I get ResMed headgear off of F&P Simplus mask to clean? LordHelmet 3 620 12-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LordHelmet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.