Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips system one noisy
Philips system one noisy
For a year my pr system one has been fine. Just the sound of air hissing in and out. Lately, my machine has started a low tone hum on exhale and my wife who has better hearing than I do says she hears a high pitched whine also, (plus the lower pitched whine I'm getting from her because of the new noises) I took my machine to the tech at the VA and he says the machine is functioning properly and that this noise is common for the System one.( I haven't changed anything adjustable from 9 to 14 and humidity setting 2) Is that so? And even if it is, is there anything I can do to cut down on the noise or eliminate it? I already have the machine on a noise reduction pad and under the bed. thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips system one noisy
I've had my machine for 2 years and sometimes notice a very "slight" winey sound, but it's not enough to really bother me.

I have other "white noise" going on in my bedroom to mask any sound from the machine. I'm either running a fan or room humidifier.

You may want to make sure the humidifier is seated properly and that the seals don't look worn.

Also, change the filters frequently, especially if machine is under a bed where all the dust bunnies seem to gather. Smile.
I wash my black foam filter monthly, and change out the white fine filter also.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My System One BiPAP never developed this problem. But hubby's System One APAP does. The only big difference that I can tell that might be related to his machine's noise problem is that he frequently wakes up to find the filters (both the white paper one and the black foam one) blown off the back of the machine, and that never happened to my BiPAP.

You might want to check to make sure the filter is firmly inserted when you or your wife is noticing the noise.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
My Respironics Remstar Auto System One started making a lot of noise at about 6500-7000 hours. It got so bad at 7500 hours that I was about to throw it away, until....   The noise was a vibrating noise that spiked between inhale and exhale. When it first started bothering me, I found that if I pressed on the top of the unit, the noise would go away, so I got some temporary relief by putting an elastic band around the unit. But the noise returned and despite any elastic configuration, it became unbearable. A firm hand pressure on the top of the unit would quiet it, but that is hardly conducive to sleeping. 

Here's how I solved the problem:  I took the pump unit apart--not the humidifier unit. There are two long torx screws, I think T-15.  You pull off the control knob and lift the top cover off, revealing a clear plastic case for the black, round motor.  I took the top of the clear case off, with another torx driver, I think T-10. I pulled the motor up and put three green felt sticky round cushions under the motor, placing them near the mounting holes. These sticky felt rounds are designed to stick to the bottom of a flower pot, etc. Reassembled with every screw tightened well, and, voila! No noise whatsover.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,860 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,624 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,424 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.