Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noisy nasal pillows?
Noisy nasal pillows?
hi team - I have been using CPAP therapy for almost a decade now and it was a life changing event to be diagnosed and then start using my CPAP machine. Lately however I have really been struggling to see any benefit, and more importantly my wife has been commenting on the amount of noise coming out of my 'face area' - she isn't overly specific on if it is the mask itself, or a leak etc.

I am using a Resmed S9 autoset (getting old now I know) with an Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask. I also use a chin strap to stop mouth blow out.

For some background if it helps - I have lost over 20kgs in the last year and more recently (Dec '21) I have had sinoplasty to fix a deviated septum and remove enlarged turbinates. This diagnosis came from me originally asking my GP about the comment my wife had made about me snoring/making lots of noise with the mask on. Now 4 months after surgery I am back trying to use the mask again but still suffering from the noise and feeling tired etc

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noisy nasal pillows?
It sounds like air is escaping from your mouth. Try switching to a soft cervical collar to help keep your mouth/ jaw from opening. It will work much better than s chin strap.
If the air flows out of your mouth, you aren't getting much benefit from Cpap therapy.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

When was the last time you replaced your mask? Or at least cleaned it and replaced the nasal pillow. The nasal pillows need to be replaced more frequently, as they get soft and don't seal well.

Your chart looks good otherwise.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose.

I dont think its mouth leakage - wife is pretty sure its either the mask itself or possibly from around the pillows yeh. The mask isnt too old - but maybe something wrong with it. Might need to replace it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try using the next size larger nasal pillow and see if that gives you a better seal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a problem about six months ago. Extra noise from the mask, felt like the APAP was not working. I carefully examined the mask, did not seem to be an issue. Then I checked the mask under pressure and a small crack opened up in the silicon nasal bellow. I guess two years from a set of nose plugs is too much to ask. Replacing the cracked part solved the issue and I was able to sleep again.

If I had OSCAR or even simplified stuff like myair, I would have seen the leak in the stats, I'm sure. But I had gotten lazy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been having the problem with noise after several hours of use with the N30i mask, but not with the F30i mask. I suspect some slight problem with rainout in the hose due to opening my mouth when breathing out of my mouth using the N30i when sleeping on my back, based on video recordings while sleeping. I have ordered cover roll stretch tape on Amazon to stop the problem. Otherwise, the N30i gives significantly lower AHI with my ASV than the F30i mask. I love both masks. I'll let you all know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the Snuggle Skins CPAP tube cover. Prevents condensations and makes the tubing quieter and much more comfortable. https://www.amazon.com/Snuggle-Skins-Ins...B007BUOINM
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good idea, I have a tube cover in my situation however. The problem with the N30i in my case seems to be mouth breathing on exhale when on my back, possibly causing rainout in the hose, but not necessarily in the mask. I need to tape up my mouth and STFU. LOL!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.