Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Non USA users - do you use an adapter or replace the plug?
Non USA users - do you use an adapter or replace the plug?
This is more of a question about electricity supply and all. So, any electricians out there, this is for you!

If you bought a machine from the US but are using it elsewhere where the voltage is different and the plugs are a different shape, did you just use an adapter or did you switch out the plug on the power cord? And, is that safe?

I'm assuming it's not a hazard, though it might affect the warranty. And from what I understand, most CPAP machines are multi-voltage so it's just a matter of an adapter / plug shape. But please correct me if I'm wrong about that!

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Non USA users - do you use an adapter or replace the plug?
For the DreamStation, the power adaptor (aka brick) is external to the CPAP machine. It is multi-voltage. The electrical line from the wall to the adaptor unplugs. I assume that is so you can use a different electrical line in different countries. I don't see any danger in this. In fact, I think this is why they make them like this - it reduces manufacturing costs when selling to multiple areas as you only need to include a different line in the package.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP uses a "power brick", it will ordinarily be rated 100 ~ 240 @ 50/60 Hz/sec.. An adapter is all you need for operating anywhere that has a line voltage within that range. No need to cut the plug off and change it unless it's worn and needs replacing.

If you do need to replace the plug, it's pretty simple since it's a 2 conductor cord. If you will look at the power cord closely, you will notice that one of the individual wires has a ribbed jacket while the other one is smooth. The ribbed jacketed wire should be connected to the identified terminal of the plug. The identified terminal is the bright plated one, not the brass colored one. If there is no identified terminal, connect the ribbed conductor to terminal that goes to the right-hand side blade of the plug, as you view it from the plug face. That isn't really all that important since you can plug it in reversed at the wall given that this particular plug has no polarity protection method, such as a wide neutral blade or a round grounding blade like some others do.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I just came back from using my Respironics Dreamstation and a whole host of other electronic gear in a 220 volt location. All you really need is the two pronged plug adapter that matches the location you are travelling to. Making sure you have the RIGHT adapter is the only really tricky part, though most hotels will have adapters that include the US Standard Plug

OTOH, if you are bringing multiple electronic devices, including your CPAP, I'd recommend this Universal surge protector/power strip along with a three prong grounded power adapter (again country specific). For anything that uses almost any power brick, from phones to your CPAP and your PCs, all the power bricks can handle 110-220 with no issue.

Search on Amazon for "Simran SM-60 Universal Power Strip 3 Outlets for 110V-250V Worldwide Travel with Surge/Overload Protection"
I have not yet reached the number of posts for me to include links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course will must always be aware that any 120 volt single rated voltage device will be destroyed if you merely use a plug adapter to plug it in to a 240 volt system! No magic protection there!

Always check the power specs. listed on the device. Many power adapters are not "Travel Rated" and will only work on 120 volts.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a number of members who are in Australia.
IIRC, they are able to buy power cords for Resmed power bricks that plug directly into the sockets they use.

To quote from an old thread by member zonk: "...get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13..."

That won't work for Honk Kong because the wall sockets are different.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2016, 09:21 AM)kowlooner Wrote: This is more of a question about electricity supply and all. So, any electricians out there, this is for you!

If you bought a machine from the US but are using it elsewhere where the voltage is different and the plugs are a different shape, did you just use an adapter or did you switch out the plug on the power cord? And, is that safe?

the *proper* answer is you buy a wall cord that's appropriate for your country

the wall to brick cord terminates with a IEC 60320/C7 international standard connector..

cords are available in most every country with the country specific plug on one end, and the IEC 60320/C7 on the other.

eg:

[Image: 2491018-40.jpg]

[Image: mWQ7G931JEhgPtt66BaoZNA.jpg]

[Image: IEC-60320-C7-connector.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2016, 01:36 PM)justMongo Wrote: We have a number of members who are in Australia.
IIRC, they are able to buy power cords for Resmed power bricks that plug directly into the sockets they use.

To quote from an old thread by member zonk: "...get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13..."

That won't work for Honk Kong because the wall sockets are different.
justMongo is correct, I'm using locally bought S8 power cord instead the one that comes with the machine from US
I'm sure, there are power cords for some appliances might works too but haven't looked into them
Suitable plug adapter works as well

Q. Will my machine work in a foreign country?
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/sup...-faqs.html

A. Yes, your CPAP, APAP or bilevel sleep apnea machine will work in a foreign country, just make sure you pack the correct plug adapter for the country you're travelling to, because power outlets may differ between countries. Adapters can be bought from most electronics and travel stores, as well as in airports.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody, and especially Palerider. I hadn't even thought of that cord to brick connection. I might even have a few spares from old laptops lying around (assuming they're the same thing).

As for the 110/220 voltage difference, the machine (just arrived!) is a Respironics 560. Variable voltage brick.

Anyway, the reason I was asking was just to avoid having to use an adapter all the time since it's for home use. Just doesn't look as good. Takes up more space, too. Figured changing the plug was easy enough but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. I figured there wouldn't be a issue since it's just about socket shape, but I wasn't sure about if there might be a problem with grounding or something.

Also just FYI, in case the question comes up elsewhere, HK's plugs are the same as in the UK.

So, the next step is probably is quick hunt through a couple of stores to see if I can find a new cord with the IEC 60320/C7 connector.

Again, thanks for all the input!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2016, 11:19 AM)kowlooner Wrote: Thanks everybody, and especially Palerider. I hadn't even thought of that cord to brick connection. I might even have a few spares from old laptops lying around (assuming they're the same thing).

They are.

Quote:So, the next step is probably is quick hunt through a couple of stores to see if I can find a new cord with the IEC 60320/C7 connector.

Your best bet is probably Amazon. Much better prices assuming you can wait for the delivery. Another option is the adapter. The one I have for the UK grid is pretty compact.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,126 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Tubing Mod to Reduce Resmed Airmini + Zephair adapter Inhalation Noise dil950 1 624 12-21-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: RSki
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,070 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.