Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Non-Vented masks
I suggest you think about what you are trying to do and make sure you are targeting the real issue.

There are real centrals and then there are induced centrals, but the point of all this is to keep your O2 levels from dropping too low and getting a good nights sleep, regardless of AHI.

Real centrals are where your brain stem does not correctly react to your CO2/O2 levels and does not initiate a breathe when you need one. Depending on how often this happens your O2 levels can drop too low and then you would use an ASV machine to treat these centrals.

Induced centrals are where something, perhaps CO2 washout, causes you to not take a breath when you should, but your brain stem is correctly reacting to your CO2/O2 levels-it just gets over ridden so you don't breath.

The whole question is what are your O2 levels doing? Are you crossing the line to below 88%? Your sleep study should give you an idea of what your O2 is doing. If you want to know more you can get a recording oximeter for $100 or less. If your O2 levels are fine and you take steps to increase your CO2 levels to stop your centrals, then your O2 levels will go down and this is exactly NOT what you want to do.

If you are just not getting good sleep and are looking for a reason and latched onto your central count, perhaps you are correct and perhaps you could expand what you are looking at and find a different cause.
09-07-2015 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AshSF Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 D560TS
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10, Bkup: Airfit F10 & Quattro Air
Humidifier: PRS1 60 series with Heated Tube
CPAP Pressure: 8 - 8 w/ Aflex 3

Other Comments: Using APAP mode with fixed pressure

The non vented masks can NOT be used with xPAP machine. It is dangerous. If you have a ventilator (respironics trilogy or some machine like that), you may want to talk this thru with your doctor.

A simpler thing to try with xPAP is get a mask with larger dead space. FFMs have larger dead space than nasal pillows. A total face mask has even larger dead space. Most mask's manuals list dead space information in their manual.
09-07-2015 02:05 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

I noticed that the link indeed shows a non-vented mask, and I have 2 observations. One, this seems to have a tap on the side, I am guessing it is for supplemental oxygen. Two, there is a warning associated with it's use. "WARNING: This mask should be used with a Positive Pressure Ventilator with an exhalation valve and adequate alarms and safety features."

CPAP machines are not ventilators.

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
09-09-2015 06:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

And the exhalation valve would be the ventilation port but more controlled.

Ventilators do all the breathing for you. Push air into your lungs then release the pressure so the weight of the ribs and diaphram let the air out. then push the air back in. I don't think they "suck" air out.

A regular CPAP, even most bilevels, do not have enough pressure to inflate a lung or do the breathing for you.

Apnea Board Moderator

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

09-10-2015 01:23 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

With certain kinds of therapy, there is a separately controlled valve at the mask that drops the pressure to zero and vents all the exhaled air out into the room. It goes between the hose and the unvented mask. They also sometimes use a separate exhale vent like the vent on a mask, but made as a separate piece.

There's some information on this in the documentation for the Respironics Trilogy ventillator. There are probably better links, but I found that one quickly.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
09-10-2015 01:38 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question on masks that will handle higher pressures like 27 nanook683 13 794 09-21-2016 07:14 AM
Last Post: nanook683
  [Equipment] Anyone tried Quattro FX and Amara View masks? mj1127 2 258 09-17-2016 10:28 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Pilairo Q Pillow masks Zocane 7 364 09-12-2016 04:34 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Money Medicare changed coverage for ResMed masks Wildfire 8 738 09-02-2016 01:36 PM
Last Post: pavel
  Gel masks? Custom fit masks? JaneAM 1 235 08-29-2016 01:51 PM
Last Post: chill
  Not all AirFit P10 masks are created equal Rcgop 0 356 08-06-2016 11:17 AM
Last Post: Rcgop
  3D Printed CPAP Masks chill 3 475 06-07-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: OpalRose