Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Non-Vented masks
Non-Vented masks
SuperSleeper Wrote:[Image: warning.gif]
Admin thread warning to CPAP users: This thread contains information concerning a specific type of full face mask that is not designed for CPAP use. It could be dangerous if readers attempt to use these types of masks without seeking professional medical help. Thanks.

Has anyone ever used a non-vented mask to increase Co2 and reduce CAs?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Non-Vented masks
Does such a thing even exist?

CO2 is dangerous in high concentration. In manned spaceflight and submarines, it's the CO2 that becomes deadly when scrubbers fail.

Please do not experiment with this.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Although I'm no doctor the general consensus here is that reducing max pressure can decrease CAs as well as reducing EPR.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Non-Vented masks are used regularly in hospitals: http://www.resmed.com/int/products/hospi...nc=dealers

Cpaps tend to wash out the needed Co2. I'm not talking about added Co2 just preventing it from washing out which would be increasing it over regular Cpap Co2 content.
Post Reply Post Reply
This isn't really a do it yourself thing in my opinion. If you get it wrong, you could lose consciousness and suffocate. It scares me to even talk about it. Someone could try it the wrong way and kill themselves.

Do you plan to have an external exhale port and short hoses or what?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is an example of an at home version: [commercial link removed, instead, do a search for "Mojo Non-Vented Full Face Mask"]

I'm not sure they would be available if they were that dangerous...

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2015, 12:37 PM)stcrim Wrote: This is an example of an at home version: [commercial link removed, instead, do a search for "Mojo Non-Vented Full Face Mask"]

I'm not sure they would be available if they were that dangerous...

That is a prescription item; and non-vented would be a specialty item. Which means it's for use under medical supervision where a physician has deemed it appropriate.

The most often prescribed treatment for CSA is the ASV PAP machine. It detects CSA events and ventilates the patient by supplying timed pulses of air to non-invasively ventilate the patient.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
So how does one prevent or slow Co2 washout that contributes to CAs? When I restrict my nostrils to 4mm holes with waterproof tape (using a Wisp mask) my medium respiration rate comes down from 17 or 18 to 15 or 16 and the CAs disappear. My AHI drops from close to or above 5 to -0- or just a little above.

Without the tape, the more pressure the more CAs - the less pressure the more obstructives.

The problem with what I am doing is the tape becomes annoying during the night and becomes a source for awakenings.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a mask for a ventilator which is completely different than a CPAP machine, ASV or otherwise.

While on the surface, using that mask would indeed prevent washing out CO2, but only for a few seconds and then all you would have is 100% CO2 and zero O2. You would end up either ripping the mask off in a total panic, gasping for air or if you could not get the mask off fast enough you would pass out and could end up dead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2015, 01:00 PM)stcrim Wrote: So how does one prevent or slow Co2 washout that contributes to CAs? When I restrict my nostrils to 4mm holes with waterproof tape (using a Wisp mask) my medium respiration rate comes down from 17 or 18 to 15 or 16 and the CAs disappear. My AHI drops from close to or above 5 to -0- or just a little above.

Without the tape, the more pressure the more CAs - the less pressure the more obstructives.

The problem with what I am doing is the tape becomes annoying during the night and becomes a source for awakenings.

The problem with what you're doing is that if you restrict the exhaust vent, you increase rebreathed CO2 and decrease O2 levels. You could reduce the O2 to dangerous levels. You could lose consciousness and not wake up before you suffocate. It's a bit like putting a plastic bag with a hole in it over your head. If the hole is too small, you could die.

There have been some experiments in controlled settings with various schemes to increase the rebreathing of exhaled air, but I hesitate to mention them, because if you get them wrong, you could die. It's not something to experiment with on your own.

It's a good idea, but if you do it wrong, you could die. There's just not a safe way to experiment with it on your own.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 349 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 221 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 412 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 496 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 493 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 456 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.