Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noo B or not Noo B - is that the question?
Noo B or not Noo B - is that the question?
Hello all. New poster. I'd been on CPAP three years ago for ~16 months before a (new) sleep study Rx'd by a new doc found that I didn't have OSA at all. But around 2 mos. ago, a third study showed AHI of 24 and the doc said back to therapy. Then I discovered this great group (friendly and informative) and SleepyHead (a gem!), so the masked man rides again. Been at it two months, and AHI is flirting with the 5 threshold. It would break 5 more often if it weren't for event clusters in half hour chunks - largely CA and HA. (I'm aware that newbies get these clusters, but still have questions about them. Will start a separate thread on that.)

When I saw the doc after this last sleep study, I said "this is bogus." He says "why?" I say, well look, I never went deeper than level 2 sleep - no REM - and didn't have a single OA, yet they diagnose Obstructive Sleep Apnea. (I've since learned that's a generic name.) I don't snore and my BMI is just a tad above normal range. But most of all, the first night back on the machine, the AHI was 9.7, nowhere near 24. And he says... That's because you were on therapy, dummy! DOH! Well, he didn't actually say "dummy," but it never occurred to me that one night of therapy could more than halve the AHI. Doh again.

Bottom line: I'm now pretty well convinced I'm in the club, and feel I'm on the path to effective treatment. I feel fortunate I was given an APAP machine 3 years ago, when I didn't know diddly about feature distinctions. I've learned a ton from lurking here, and hope to post on aspects about which I'm still confused. Thanks for being here.

-Ron

PS. Important advice: If you use a boil and bite toothguard prone to falling out and getting lost in the bed in the middle of the night, don't test it while your wife is on her heating pad. My toothguard now resembles a gum wad recovered from under a 19th century park bench.
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noo B or not Noo B - is that the question?
Welcome to the forum, rkl122. That sounds like quite a journey. Welcome to the forum and good luck on your treatment.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Welcome to ApneaBoard.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum rkl122,
Glad your here! Feel free to ask questions, someone is always here to help.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rkl122,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ho Silver! Welcome to the club. All the cool kids hang out here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rkl122,

You might want to post some screenshots from Sleepyhead. You could get some suggestions as to how others have controlled their CA and H numbers. You will also get feedback as to wether your current machine is appropriate for your particular condition.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
snortle chuckle chortle about the bite guard problem!! Sorry you had to discover that for us -- but it's a useful rule to know about. Big Grin Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks fellow aspiring respirants for the warm welcome.

(06-03-2016, 01:00 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: snortle chuckle chortle about the bite guard problem!! Sorry you had to discover that for us -- but it's a useful rule to know about. Big Grin Wink
Heh, yeah, I'm on my 'guard' so to speak. BTW, by the time I thought to change "wife" to "spouse," the edit button was gone.Oh-jeez

richb Wrote:You might want to post some screenshots from Sleepyhead. You could get some suggestions as to how others have controlled their CA and H numbers. You will also get feedback as to wether your current machine is appropriate for your particular condition.
Yes, thanks Rich, I plan to do that. Problem is I'm not clear which is the best night to post. As others have noted, there's no typical pattern. Some nights there's a tight cluster of events - maybe a half hour window, other nights, 1-2 hour clusters, other nights, events are pretty evenly spread out. As a scientist in a former life, I'm dataphilic, but am going nuts looking for correlations between graphs. Most nights, I do have noticeable, brief windows of enhanced respiration rate - a rise of 30-40% once or twice a night, and they may be correlated with flow or leak changes. Can't say for sure. (I think some of them, not all, correlate with waking periods.)

Browsing the SH data, though, is fun. I try not to remind myself I'm looking at the nuts and bolts of a mortality risk factor.

I switched to the MW pillow on the Dreamware mask a couple days ago. I think it's my size. After a bit more experience, I'll post some data.

-Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
The rise in respiration rate might also indicate REM sleep. The clustered events are probably more interesting to look at than the spread out ones. I know what you mean about the graphs, it is kind of like trying to read chicken entrails.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,438 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.