Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noob Help.....
Noob Help.....
Hi all...Ive done some reading and have run into a few issues with my new setup. Ive only had it since Tuesday. Its the Philips Dreamstation with the Resmed Airfit P10 pillows. Two issues..Im a restless sleeper. I have RLS and it kicks into high gear at night. The last 3 nights, I have taken off the P10 in the middle of the night without even knowing. Last night was the worst. I only logged 2.55 hours on the machine. Should I try a different mask? I do like the P10. It is comfortable and very non obtrusive but Im thinking it may not be "sturdy" enough to stay on my face all night.

Also, What exactly is AHI? Mine has gone up over the past 3 nights. 7.2, 8.8 and last night was 9.2. Should I just call the company that supplied me with the equipment? I really want this to work...Sad

Thanks in advance guys!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noob Help.....
Hi Matty. AHI stands for apnea hypopnea index. You can read about it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(AHI)

It's normal for your AHI to not be exactly the same every night, because your sleep isn't exactly the same each night.

Yours is a little high, though. It may be that you need a pressure higher than 6.0 to treat your apnea. If you are interested in looking at what types of apnea events you are having and if they are evenly spaced out over your sleeping time or occurring in clusters, there's a link at the top of the page to the SleepyHead software.

As far as your problem with your mask goes, well, you might get different opinions about that.

My experience so far has been that I tend to take the mask off in my sleep when there's been a change in routine and I'm adjusting. Beginning to sleep with a CPAP machine is definitely one of those periods. I mostly stopped taking off my mask after a couple of weeks of sleeping with the machine.

I switched from a nasal mask to nasal pillows last week, and I pushed aside the nasal pillows for a hour or so on the first night that I used them.

I probably would stick with the P10 nasal pillows for a little while longer until you find out if you're taking off the mask because of everything being new and unfamiliar to you.

I'm basing that opinion on your only being able to have one mask. If that's not the case, then yeah, sure, you could get a nasal mask that's harder to dislodge.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2016, 02:37 PM)MattyRetro Wrote: Also, What exactly is AHI? Mine has gone up over the past 3 nights. 7.2, 8.8 and last night was 9.2. Should I just call the company that supplied me with the equipment? I really want this to work...Sad

It's the average number of events per hour. The change you're seeing is not significant. It's more important to know the types of events and look into what can be done to get the AHI below 5.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You Green Wings and Sleepster for the help! I guess Im just going to push forward and do the best that I can with it. I really like how easy it is for me to fall asleep with the machine on. I feel like it calms me and helps me fall asleep. Its just when Im asleep that I lose control over it! Im expecting a call on Monday from the Supply Co. that I got my equipment from. I'll talk to them a bit about my issue as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MattyRetro, it's possible that you pull the mask off due to feeling as if your not getting enough air. You may do that with a nasal mask as well.
Stick with the P10 awhile longer. You may feel air starved and need an adjustment in pressure.
The changes shouldn't be made without looking at your data and seeing what the breakdown of your AHI is.
I suspect you need a little higher pressure. The goal should be to get your AHI under 5.

Download the SleepyHead software and let us know the breakdown of AHI, like Hypopneas, Obstructives, clear airways.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MattyRetro,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Try masking up and using your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv, this will help you get used to this new way of sleeping.

Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the idea that your pressure is a bit too low at 6. That just might be giving you the suffocation feeling and the natural reflex is to remove your mask. The mask that you are using is extremely good mask and usually works well with most folks.
In the meantime, I suggest that you take a hairpin or something else to clip the straps of the mask to your hair. Should wake you up when you try to remove it in your sleep.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night, the pressure went up to 10 and it was way to high. I woke up with a dry mouth and I could tell that it was pushing air out of my mouth for the last hour or so of sleep. Im hoping it will drop back down to 8 or so..Also my AHI was the highest at 13. Im gonna dig into the sleepyhead software and start using it. The dreammapper is pretty much useless..
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2016, 07:49 PM)MattyRetro Wrote: So last night, the pressure went up to 10 and it was way to high. I woke up with a dry mouth and I could tell that it was pushing air out of my mouth for the last hour or so of sleep. Im hoping it will drop back down to 8 or so..Also my AHI was the highest at 13. Im gonna dig into the sleepyhead software and start using it. The dreammapper is pretty much useless..

If air is coming out of your mouth, you are mouth breathing, and that is why you have a dry mouth.

It sounds like you may need a full face mask. You have to be able to control mouth breathing with a nasal or nasal pillow mask. Have you tried a chin strap?

Also, please confirm which DreamStation you have. Your profile states a pressure of 6. Are you using the auto machine with a pressure range set? How can it go to 10 otherwise?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 235 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 899 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 466 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Bipap Noob Questions supyasieve 14 1,155 10-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: supyasieve
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,476 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Noob - posting first OSCAR screenshot Cool 2 760 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Cool
Gross [CPAP] Mask Help for Noob Johnnyde94 11 1,335 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Johnnyde94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.