Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noob- Large flux in AHI?
Question 
Noob- Large flux in AHI?
Hi Guys!

I'm currently on a bipap for moderately sever sleep apnea. I am going on month two with the machine. Thankfully I adjusted to the machine quickly! 

I have a question about my AHI though. It varies greatly from night to night. I don't drink or take any medication currently
My AHI varies from the lowest at 3.2 to the highest at 22.5 and everything in between. Last week was 5, 13.2, 7, 4, 20, 9, 16. I'm not experiencing leaks. I'm a lucky person who finds a position, falls asleep, and just does not move during the night so I don't knock around or push off my mask. I sleep with a nasal mask and chin strap.

I just find this type of flux kind of crazy. I tend to go to bed and wake at the same times. I can't find anything that would account for such wacky numbers.
My pressure is 13-9

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noob- Large flux in AHI?
You need to post some sleepyhead type graphical data to get any meaningful comments, as there are three different types of events that are added to get the AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi annajazz,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advise! I'll get those stats up Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 09:14 PM)annajazz Wrote: Hi Guys!

I'm currently on a bipap for moderately sever sleep apnea. I am going on month two with the machine. Thankfully I adjusted to the machine quickly! 

I have a question about my AHI though. It varies greatly from night to night. I don't drink or take any medication currently
My AHI varies from the lowest at 3.2 to the highest at 22.5 and everything in between. Last week was 5, 13.2, 7, 4, 20, 9, 16. I'm not experiencing leaks. I'm a lucky person who finds a position, falls asleep, and just does not move during the night so I don't knock around or push off my mask. I sleep with a nasal mask and chin strap.

I just find this type of flux kind of crazy. I tend to go to bed and wake at the same times. I can't find anything that would account for such wacky numbers.
My pressure is 13-9

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Smile

For some more data:

My total Clear Apneas are usually pretty high: usually between 40-80 per night
My total obstructive apneas are the lowest of the three: 0-20 per night
My Hypopneas are the middle guys: 11-35 per night

An example night being:
Sleep: 7.2 hrs
AHI: 10.9
Clear: 52
Obstructive: 9
Hyponeas: 19
Post Reply Post Reply
If those results are typical I would suspect a complex apnea and suggest you visit with your sleep doc and look into an asv type of machine. However, still need to see those charts because the there is a possibility of just junk at the end of sleep cycles looking like CA.
Post Reply Post Reply
annajazz,
In order to better advise you, download #SleepyHead software, then see the tutorials below in my signature line. This will guide you on how to organize your graphs and upload here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here we read the charts to see what may be causing your issues. So please download SleepyHead and post your data
Post Reply Post Reply
Hold on a minute. The suggestion this is complex apnea and might require ASV is possible, but we're getting way to far ahead of the game.

You are using BiPAP pressure of 13/9 on a Dreamstation BiPAP-S and experiencing CA. The simple solution is to reduce pressure support, which should significantly reduce CA, and possibly increase EPAP pressure which can resolve OA and hypopnea. If you are comfortable with making setting changes, then set EPAP to 9.5 and IPAP to 11.5 and let's see where that takes us. This gives you a pressure support (PS) of 2.0 cm. This should be comfortable, while eliminating a significant part of the CA you are having with PS of 4.0 cm. At the same time, raising the exhalation pressure (EPAP), will give you a bit more support to deal with OA and hypopnea.

We don't really need to see data to suggest this. Your problem with PS is very very common. On the other hand, there is a reason you have a BiPAP and not CPAP. Were there centrals in your sleep study or titration?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 06:58 AM)OpalRose Wrote: annajazz,
In order to better advise you, download Sleepyhead software, then see the tutorials below in my signature line.  This will guide you on how to organize your graphs and upload here.

Thanks for the suggestion of Sleepyhead!! This software is awesome. Definitely shows a lot more data than my Dreammapper app.
I shall get some graphs up soon
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 55 4 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 467 11 hours ago
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 120 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 114 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 223 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Large Leaks ejbpesca 9 924 02-04-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 316 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.