Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noob attempting self-titration - assistance interpreting results
Question 
Noob attempting self-titration - assistance interpreting results
Hi everyone - what a fantastic resource this community offers. I've learned so much from your wiki already!

After years of my wife telling me 'I stop breathing', I requested a sleep study. Results came back as 8-10 AHI on my side and 30 AHI on my back. I returned for a titration study where I experienced the P10 nasal pillows for the first time in the lab overnight. Unfortunately my sleep clinic seems to be taking the entire summer off on holiday, because they have not answered my calls for weeks and have not sent me any results!

I decided I'd had enough and wanted to try a DIY approach. I chose the Dreamstation Go because I travel often and I loved the versatility of the detachable humidifier and battery. I've had it for two weeks - first nights were 10 and 11 AHI and I started learning about self-titration. I went overboard and started jumping by 2s - 6 minimum the next night, then 8 then 10 and finally 12. Then I started reading your wiki - I'm concerned I may be a 'complex Apnea' type because I have a mix of all three types every night. Boosting up the pressure definitely increased my Central Apneas while it may have reduced the others, so I have scaled back to FULL AUTO CPAP (just letting the Dreamstation Go algorithm do its thing).

It seems like I'm just hovering around 7-8 AHI and don't have any solutions. I haven't received my doctor's titration results so I'm doing this blind but I've seen so many helpful tips here from you guys - I thought it was worth sharing a few results.

What I'm noticing is that hypopneas are the most numerous by far when I'm on APAP, and the apneas tend to cluster together (could this correspond to the times I'm on my back?). Looking for any insights.

[attachment=13934]
[attachment=13933]
[attachment=13930]
[attachment=13929]
[attachment=13928]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noob attempting self-titration - assistance interpreting results
First thing is to get your leak sorted. Once that is fixed the pressures may be different. also consider positional apnea, chin tucking. there is lots written on the forum about it.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noob attempting self-titration - assistance interpreting results
G'day deepdiver. Welcome to Apnea Board.

While ajack is right that fixing leaks is desirable, I notice that at no time does the leak go over the "red line" so your machine will have no problems compensating. However persistent leaks can disturb your sleep, especially if it blows into your eyes or causes "face farts". That will disturb your partner as well. Smile

The thing that jumps out at me from your charts is the number of central apneas you experience, which you also highlighted. It varies from night to night, but in several instances the central component is higher than the obstructive. It's important at this stage to know if you had central apnea before going on to the machine. Your sleep study should have detected them (if present) but more often than not the doc or tech who scores the study ignores central apnea. If you could post a copy of your study report including the charts and tables we can give you some further advice.

Related to the central apnea, are you using the flex setting, and if so at what level? Sometimes reducing flex can also reduce the centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 335 31 minutes ago
Last Post: SeePak
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 182 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,521 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 106 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,948 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 139 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 144 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.