Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Earlier post replies (batteries, C-Flex, PR System One noise)
Earlier post replies (batteries, C-Flex, PR System One noise)
Thank you, I really enjoy the discussions; a couple points re earlier posts:
1) Relative to the camping, Radioshack has fairly cheap harnesses for 12V plug-ins and cigar-type battery connectors, and a deep cycle (55amp-hr) battery from any warehouse (Costco, Walmart, etc) has lasted 5 days for me while hunting using my CPAP machine;
2) I still think my REMstar Auto A-flex makes too much noise (whistling on intake and exhale), and I note a lot of users on the Net have had similar problems with theirs. I finally arranged an appointment with the Sleep Clinic folks, and am hoping they can tell me if this sound is normal, just a little loud, or I am smoking dope! The noise really is annoying, and does not fit the criteria I keep reading about (many on this Forum) how quiet these machines are! Willis

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Earlier post replies
Welcome willisclarke!

Which REMstar Auto with A-Flex do you have?

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

I'm thinking you have the newer PR System One, correct?

If so, I'm wondering, is this your first CPAP? Seems that people who are used to the older (and quite loud) CPAPs believe the newer PR System One units to be much quieter as compared to the older units like the pre-2007s or "M series" REMstars.

A good degree of the discussion on why System One machines sound so loud seems to be coming from relatively new CPAP users who don't know how loud the old units were in comparison.

Might not be the case with you... just making an observation. Cool

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Willis.
Thanks for the good contribution toward the use of battery operation while being "mobile" and CPAP usage. I'm sure a lot of others will follow your lead.

Some folks may just be more sensitive to fan noise then others. and yes, the newer models are much quieter then the older models. I have had the old Remstar and my PR System one is way quieter.

That said, yours just may have a small qlitch in it.
Keep us advised as what transpired with your sleep clinic visit. It could help other with the same problems.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

I have the PR System One, obtained it last June. I have been on CPAP for the past 10 years (every night), and cannot sleep without it. My previous machine is a REMstar Plus-LX, which I still have and it still functions well. My sound problems started when I was given the Auto A-flex, pressure set from 11 to 16 (up from the earlier 8). Each inhale/exhale results in a "whirring (?)" sound, which, my wife has difficulty adjusting to; I hear it but can still sleep. After all our conversations (got nowhere with Respironics), I think I made progress last night. I made some machine adjustments (did not change the pressure), set the flex to 2, and turned on the System One Resistance to X3, and put the unit on a Mouse pad to deaden the sound; it really helped with the loud pitch. I have scheduled an appointment with my Provider's Sleep technician, and will hopefully resolve my concerns. Although I have the Clinician's Manual which the Forum sent me, I still don't fully understand the Flex and the System One Resistance settings; sitting at my desk making changes to these settings doesn't seem to create any differences that I can detect, nor lessen the sound. The Mouse Pad did make a difference, however, and may be my answer.
Thank you much for your info and interest, Willis

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 01:29 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Welcome willisclarke!

Which REMstar Auto with A-Flex do you have?

[Image: which-remstar.jpg]

I'm thinking you have the newer PR System One, correct?

If so, I'm wondering, is this your first CPAP? Seems that people who are used to the older (and quite loud) CPAPs believe the newer PR System One units to be much quieter as compared to the older units like the pre-2007s or "M series" REMstars.

A good degree of the discussion on why System One machines sound so loud seems to be coming from relatively new CPAP users who don't know how loud the old units were in comparison.

Might not be the case with you... just making an observation. Cool

i actually still have all 3 of these models. the oldest was loud and the next oldest was quieter. the system one is very quiet. my wife also has the sytem one. when one of us gets up we don't know if the other one is on or off because we literally don't hear the machine or exhaust of either one.

things come out of factories every day with defects. we've all bought something that we had to return because it was defective. statistically, cpap's will be no different and have some defective machines that get through. get it checked out.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2012, 11:33 AM)willisclarke Wrote: Each inhale/exhale results in a "whirring (?)" sound, which, my wife has difficulty adjusting to; I hear it but can still sleep.

Ah, the famous "whirring" sound... actually this is a rather common problem with PR System One machines... can't find the exact topic thread, but on our old forum there was a discussion about this very issue-- and as far as I know, it has never been resolved to anyone's complete satisfaction. Some reported that even after exchanging it with a new-in-the-box identical model, the same sound was being made by the replacement also.

(03-02-2012, 11:33 AM)willisclarke Wrote: Although I have the Clinician's Manual which the Forum sent me, I still don't fully understand the Flex and the System One Resistance settings; sitting at my desk making changes to these settings doesn't seem to create any differences that I can detect, nor lessen the sound. The Mouse Pad did make a difference, however, and may be my answer.
Thank you much for your info and interest, Willis

C-Flex is Respironics' name for CPAP Exhalation pressure relief (ResMed calls their version EPR)... you can read about what these features are HERE. It's called A-Flex on APAPs.

The Resistance Control feature recognizes nasal pillow masks distribute air pressure differently than full face masks, for instance. These System One machines can be set to different resistance settings that correspond to different mask designs. According to this site, Resistance Control, "achieves complete system comfort by enabling the device and mask to work optimally together. Through simple settings, the technology instructs the device to compensate for variable resistance characteristics related to different masks. The result is synchronous pressure delivery and the assurance patients can enjoy the full benefits of our Flex comfort technologies no matter which Philips Respironics mask is used."

There is a thread HERE about what settings to use for individual masks, with a link to a PDF document on what settings to use with different mask types.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
There's also a similar issue with ResMed S9 machines... read here.

Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Earlier post replies (batteries, C-Flex, PR System One noise)
:grin: Thanks to all, this discussion has really been helpful. It now appears that the Mouse Pad under the machine has eliminated the "whirring," even my wife commented on the quietness last night. Amazing, only took 6 months of her sleepless nights to drive me to a solution. Also, I am grateful for the references for the Flex setting (will use 2, middle), and the System One Resistance; appears the Fisher & Paykel Zest mask setting is zero (system off), although when looking at the curves, there doesn't appear to be a large improvement at any setting!

Willis Clarke
Post Reply Post Reply
Rainbow 
RE: Earlier post replies (batteries, C-Flex, PR System One noise)
My Philips Remstar Auto A-flex was nice and quiet until it needed service; ('service required') was what the screen said.
They replaced a whole bunch of stuff and it came back noisy on the intake. I brought it in to Allina and they compared it to a rental and agreed and sent it back for repair. It AGAIN came back the same as if nothing had been done. Although they state they are replacing all of these parts.
It's only 2.5 years old; if they cannot quiet it what are my options? I'm sure insurance wont pay for another one yet! I can't sleep with it, it keeps me awake!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 118 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,867 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,258 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,057 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.