Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noobie Question: CPAP or BiPAP? UARS? Alleries
RE: Noobie Question: CPAP or BiPAP? UARS? Alleries
Got it, thanks so much for the help! I'll try that and let you know any updates if you're still interested in the following weeks Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Question 
Yep; for sure Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Just set up my machine, will prob start my first night tonight at min 4, max 6, EPR 3 and let you all know how it goes! Not sure how to work OSCAR though since my macbook pro does not have a SD card reader... do you have any suggestions on how to collect data otherwise? Resmed 10 Autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi newuser1002,
Glad to see you're receiving some great help.  

Just a note on the use of EPR...
In able to receive the max benefit of EPR, your minimum pressure should be set to 7cm.
(7 minus 3 EPR = EPAP 4).  With your proposed setting of Min 4, Max 6, there's not much benefit of using EPR, unless you use EPR 1 or 2.  Even if your Cpap reach max 6, a setting of EPR 3 yields a EPAP of 3.  The machine can go no lower than 4.  

Of course, you can set your Pap machine to 4 min and 6 max,  but understand there's no benefit using EPR with those settings.

Hope I didn't confuse you.  
Dreaming

Note: You can purchase a card reader from Amazon fairly cheap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey!

I've set up my machine and OSCAR and here's my first day of data from last night: https://imgur.com/a/kkjVaEq ! (I have used it every other day for 2 weeks, but my SD card reader just came so I only have a graph for yesterday).

Basic info: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset at pressures 4-7, EPR 3. Dreamwear Full Face Mask. BTW the graph is actually 4 hours off (I slept at 4 am unfortunately).

Note that I took off the mask for 15 minutes close to the beginning since I felt a bit uncomfortable (felt like there was too much air in me). Took a magnesium supplement before sleeping for the second time ever (first time being yesterday). I'd like to add, after waking up after 8 hours, I was still quite tired and took off the mask and pretty much immediately fell back asleep for another hour-ish. I've noticed in general that I haven't been dreaming much / remembering my dreams when I have my CPAP on - is this indicative of less REM sleep?

Can anyone help me interpret my results? I saw from here http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Resp._Rate that my tidal volume / resp rate seems a bit abnormal, and it seems like I had a pretty big leak which caused some apnea later into the night. I'm curious how to better optimize my parameters. Thank you [Image: icon_smile.gif]

https://imgur.com/a/kkjVaEq
Post Reply Post Reply
Your issue is flow liitayions. The best way to address these is to use EPR=3, full time, which you are doing, BUT you have handcuffed EPR with too low of a starting pressure.
Set your min Pressure = 7, Max Pressure = 8 and the 7 will allow EPR to fully work.

Then repost and we will see what is still going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm kind of scared to do min 7 max 8 since my doctor recommended me to not go over 5. How about I try min 6 max 8 or min 5 max 8?
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, this person on this forum is adamantly against the usage of EPR: https://myapnea.org/forum/not-understand-epr-setting
Post Reply Post Reply
Then they should be adamantly against the use of any CPAP period because what they are trying to avoid can be caused simply by basic CPAP use. Hey must also be against any use of BiLevel as well.

Obviously that is absurd as PAP use is the Gold Standard.

With a min (inhale) pressure of 7 and EPR=3 Fulltime your Exhale pressure will be 4,. That is the machines minimum.

EPR is the magic that treats hypopnoea, flow limits, and RERAS. It is also what allows your machine to act as a low powered BiLevel.

What we do is we know that higher EPR MAY, not will, induce some central apnea because of increased flushing of CO2 from your system, just as CPAp use itself may do. So we always watch for it. BTW it is the need to flush CO2 from our system that provides our drive to breathe, not the need to breathe oxygen which will make you breathe faster. If CA events occur we evaluate them and then respond to reduce them, BUT this occurs in a few individuals.

Bottom line is it is your body and thus your right to choose which set of suggestions to follow
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way, what’s the difference between these four options?:

7, 7, EPR 3
6, 7, EPR 2
5, 7, EPR 1
4, 7, EPR 0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 98 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 993 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 634 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 203 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 81 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.