Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noobie - Trying to get himself set
Noobie - Trying to get himself set
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just started on this CPAP journey, and the inevitable questions around masks comes to the front. I have indents on my nose from glasses that I have worn for the last 30 years at just the wrong postion that cause leak points on Nasal and full face masks, I have had success with P10 nasal pillows and the F&P Pilairo Q, but both of them seem to make my nose quite sore.

I have been using them for about 2 weeks so far, is this just a method of trying to get the nose "toughened up" to accept it?

Should I be looking for alternates?

Is there something I can put on my nose to ease? I had tried sticking lanolin up my nose without much success. I started on dermaid until I was told by my equipment provider who used to work in pharmaceuticals that it was a bad idea as it would thin my skin? (which I dont quite undetstand)

Help this newbie please...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Noobie - Trying to get himself set
Hi Headly,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Both those masks are good choices. It comes down to what is comfortable for you. With the P10 mask, it's important to use the correct size nasal pillow. If too small, you will have leaks; if too large, you could experience soreness.

You can try Ayr nasal gel or a Lansinoh cream at night. Dermaid is a cortisone cream and should not be used on a long term basis, but temporary use to help with healing is fine.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Heady,
Welcome to Apnea Board. Someone here will set you straight. There is almost unlimited knowledge between the members here.
With my limited experience I will try to help. I eventually started using Nasal Pillows after weeks of struggling with Full Face Masks and am convinced they are the right way to go.
Now for the advice. I have a big face and nose but after a little soreness found that the correct size of nasal pillow for me was the medium. The large hurt. Also I had soreness at the tip of my nose as I was pulling the headgear too tight. The looser you can get a seal the better. It is a balancing act but tight hurts and does not help the seal.
Hope this helps.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to our forum Headly!! You will get answers to your questions and more here.

I have tried both the Swift FX nasal pillows (which I tried first) and the ResMed P10's. The P10's are a bit more minimalistic and comfortable. You do not need to have the headgear on really tightly to get a good seal. It sounds to me as if you are tightening the headgear too much and causing soreness.

When I awake in the morning, for a few minutes I can still see a bit of the outline of where the straps were, but that fades pretty fast and I have no soreness anywhere.

That being said, masks are such an individual thing and perhaps that is why there are SOOO many choices out there and sometimes it is just trial and error to find the right one. Not a cheap journey for sure, but try and find a supplier that gives a 30 day money back guarantee as I understand those companies that do that do exist. Someone can probably chime in and comment on this further.

Good luck with your therapy!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
A quick suggestion for the P10 pillows. Be sure to spread the straps to loosen the fit. It doesn't need to be squashed up against your nose to work well. It won't take long before you won't even notice it and the soreness goes away. Avoid using anything that might cause irritation or moisture.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much people. I will definitely try loosening my mask to that "balance point" as you say.

I seem to get more leakage out of the P10's than I do out of the pilairo, at least according to sleepy head, but it is minimal, sort of consistently 6, there seems to be a threshold of 24 for the pillows.

I have to say, its great to come to a place where people are willing to help. Thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2015, 01:25 AM)Headly Wrote: ... I started on dermaid until I was told by my equipment provider who used to work in pharmaceuticals that it was a bad idea as it would thin my skin? (which I dont quite understand.)

Dermaid is a topical steroid (hydrocortisone); and prolonged use does thin the skin.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Headly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome aboard the board.

Going to do a little cut and paste that I replied to another newcomer with similar issues. As Sleeprider says 'this will pass'.

My nose only hurt for a couple of weeks or so, .. and then the skin toughened up.
You can use a gel if the pain is too much but mine only hurt when the pillows moved or I touching the nostril area. Kept my hands off the raw area and the skin became less sensitive over time. Hurt slightly when I'd put the pillows in at night but once they were seated the pain quit. Patience needed here.

G'luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I loosened the head strap on the p10 and felt a lot better in the nose today. I might have loosened a little too much as I got a fair bit more leakage than normal but still inside requirements under 24
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noobie UARS, pls help me fix my breathing :/ newuser1002 38 4,204 03-15-2023, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fishfinderG
Question Noobie Question: CPAP or BiPAP? UARS? Alleries newuser1002 22 2,335 07-10-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: newuser1002
  What software to use as a Noobie? cbt2610 6 899 05-18-2022, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Noobie has Ramp Start and Stop Question tsolanto 4 1,421 09-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Grin In Need of Noobie Education TheOutlier 22 3,959 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Noobie with comment and question Snowbird47 12 2,915 10-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.