Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noobie with comment and question
RE: Noobie with comment and question
Thanks OpalRose - I was using a chin strap, but I actually noticed your trick as well, but forgot to mention it. It works well when you are conscious, but how does it stay that way when you fall asleep?

(10-07-2015, 01:57 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome Snowbird47,
Other than using a chin strap, you could try the "tongue to roof of mouth trick."

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth, with tip of tongue right behind your front teeth.
Then gently such upwards with your tongue. This action places your tongue in a position that will create a seal at the back of your throat so that no air will escape out of your mouth.

This takes practice, but will work.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 02:22 PM)Snowbird47 Wrote: Thanks OpalRose - I was using a chin strap, but I actually noticed your trick as well, but forgot to mention it. It works well when you are conscious, but how does it stay that way when you fall asleep?

(10-07-2015, 01:57 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome Snowbird47,
Other than using a chin strap, you could try the "tongue to roof of mouth trick."

Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth, with tip of tongue right behind your front teeth.
Then gently such upwards with your tongue. This action places your tongue in a position that will create a seal at the back of your throat so that no air will escape out of your mouth.

This takes practice, but will work.

It just becomes habit after awhile, and your tongue will automatically go there and stay put.
It's worth mastering......better than a chin strap. Rolleyes
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll need breathing in and out through your nose while keeping your mouth closed during the day so becomes a habit to do so while sleeping
I find Ruby adjustable chinstrap most effective without having it too tight
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anybody comment on this desaturation behaviour? desaturator 82 5,488 04-23-2023, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Brucpap
  Noobie UARS, pls help me fix my breathing :/ newuser1002 38 4,026 03-15-2023, 06:43 AM
Last Post: fishfinderG
Question Noobie Question: CPAP or BiPAP? UARS? Alleries newuser1002 22 2,288 07-10-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: newuser1002
  What software to use as a Noobie? cbt2610 6 861 05-18-2022, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Over the counter CPAP comment from doctor alshayed 41 6,565 11-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  Can someone comment on my SpO2 levels? apneaWorried2018 6 1,685 06-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: apneaWorried2018
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.