Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going for my 1st follow-up after starting therapy
Going for my 1st follow-up after starting therapy

First follow up since my CPAP got delivered.

Things are clear in terms of benefits after 7 or so weeks so I'm just making a list of things that I would care about.

First: I would like to buy a second machine (out of pocket of course), to be both a backup and a better travelling one (Remstar 1 is fairly bulky). So if I need a prescription to buy one, can I just ask the Dr. for a blanket script or do I need to decide on a model first? Or do I need one at all if paying without insurance?

Second: Was going to ask about challenges with end of breathing but I may have resolved this thanks to other posts here, I will try an A-Flex setting of 1 tonight during a test it was promising.

I guess no third, thanks to this forum again.

Now that I think of it: are the hoses pretty universal among machines? I'd like a backup of that too if that is the case. So masks and hoses are not machine specific right?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going for my 1st follow-up after starting therapy
(01-23-2016, 07:56 PM)DanPrado Wrote: First follow up since my CPAP got delivered.

Things are clear in terms of benefits after 7 or so weeks so I'm just making a list of things that I would care about.

First: I would like to buy a second machine (out of pocket of course), to be both a backup and a better travelling one (Remstar 1 is fairly bulky). So if I need a prescription to buy one, can I just ask the Dr. for a blanket script or do I need to decide on a model first? Or do I need one at all if paying without insurance?

Second: Was going to ask about challenges with end of breathing but I may have resolved this thanks to other posts here, I will try an A-Flex setting of 1 tonight during a test it was promising.

I guess no third, thanks to this forum again.

Now that I think of it: are the hoses pretty universal among machines? I'd like a backup of that too if that is the case. So masks and hoses are not machine specific right?

You should be able to use your original script. Just ask your doctor for a copy.
You will need a script for most suppliers. Supplier #2 from supplier list at top of page offers gently used and also open box new machines. They seem to have a good reputation.

Hoses are universal unless you are using a heated hose, then you will need the brand that is made for your specific machine.

You can use any mask that you are comfortable with.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks and machines both require an Rx in the U.S.
Generally the Rx is written in such a way as to describe a general type of machine (CPAP, Bilevel, Auto...); and is good for any machine in that type.
Often the Rx is written as "Mask of choice."

You should have a copy of your Rx anyway in case you end up in a hospital; they can accommodate you.
What OpalRose said about hoses 100%. The general hose fitting is 22mm. There are some smaller diameter hoses available; but they fit 22mm fittings.

I bought my present machine from #2. I'm quite happy with them.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as a backup machine, the PRS1 60 series Auto is very inexpensive through either Amazon or Supplier #2 right now since it is being replaced by the Dreamstation. A heated hose is very nice, and only costs $75 for a conversion kit that gives you a new humidifier lid, power supply and heated hose. I actually got mine for a little less from Supplier #1 on sale.

All hoses except the proprietary heated ones, use a 22 mm coupling which is universal.

The travel CPAPs have a lot of drawbacks in terms of noise and features. It's easy to travel without the humidifier if you want "small". Otherwise, I have never had problems traveling with my PRS1 units with humidifier, and I take them on motorcycles.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DanPrado,
I wish you good luck at your first followup.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, back from followup pretty short and sweet. Got a prescription for a new machine, so since this is the backup / travel out of pocket one time to start paying more attention to the machine comparison threads.

Dr mentioned the Z and Transcend in terms of portability but unlikely he has personal experience with them.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 967 3 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 8 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.