Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Noobs Beware!
RE: Noobs Beware!
My Ophthalmologist recommended something to keep the eyes from drying out due to air leakage through the lachrymal ducts (commonly called tear ducts). It is a gel that one puts in one's eyes before going to bed. It is called Systane and is made by Alcon.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2015, 05:39 PM)PaytonA Wrote: My Ophthalmologist recommended something to keep the eyes from drying out due to air leakage through the lachrymal ducts (commonly called tear ducts). It is a gel that one puts in one's eyes before going to bed. It is called Systane and is made by Alcon.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thank you Sir! Believe it or not, she already had some of that exact thing on hand. Apparently, she had not used it often, and certainly not on the night that the incident occurred. She is mostly affected with too much eye moisture, then with 'dry-eye' problems....But she'll be much more aware in the future of what can happen, should one or the other dry out too much again.... Not a good thing!

Best, FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2015, 04:03 PM)retired_guy Wrote: In my case I do still use a chinstrap to help with that at night, and Mrs. R_G does a great job of helping me keep my mouth shut during the day.

That brought a big smile! I can relate!

FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2015, 04:42 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: FLcracker, just to keep things simple, you might want to look for some mask liners. They are supposed to be much more comfortable against the skin and stop leaks. She may or may not be able to do nasal therapy. It would be great for her if she can, but this is a pretty good solution that has worked for others.

She has been making her own...She bought a yard or so of cotton 't-shirt' material, and cuts them out out herself to best fit.... This did indeed stop a lot of leakage problems. Things were really going great......until.

Even after all this, her ahi was 4.5 last night...She had a 3.9 on the night that the incident happened.

I'm still never giving up!

Best, FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
"$70 co-pay for both doctors, and a 'script that totals $296.98. And at least two more office calls ahead"

Just curious who your insurance provider is.

Hope Mizz Cracker is better soon

I had plugs put in all 4 ducts to keep my eyes from drying out but I never had one get as bad as hers did.

Just curious for those who use pillows, can you smell while wearing them....smell cooking (if you are taking a nap and someone is cooking) or if there was a fire in the neighborhood, could you smell that something was burning
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2015, 04:48 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi FLcracker,
I'm sorry to hear about Mizz Cracker's eye problem, hope she gets better, soon.

Thank you ma'am!! She's going to be all better real soon....

PM sent to you.

FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 07:04 AM)me50 Wrote: "$70 co-pay for both doctors, and a 'script that totals $296.98. And at least two more office calls ahead"

Just curious who your insurance provider is.

Hope Mizz Cracker is better soon

I had plugs put in all 4 ducts to keep my eyes from drying out but I never had one get as bad as hers did.

She has a United Ins. major med plan via her employer that basically pays 80%, but with a 'substantial' deductible...

She's well on her way to being OK... But what happened was a serious wake-up call for both of us.

Thanks for the good wishes for her.

FLc

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for posting this - good info. Last night was #2 sleeping w/the machine and I noticed a little bit of leakage out of the upper mask feeling it on my eye.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I had known about that gel that you put in your eye; I would have likely tried that before the plugs provided that it was to help eyes not be dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2015, 07:04 AM)me50 Wrote: Just curious for those who use pillows, can you smell while wearing them....

I suppose you could. But with regular bathing and deodorants it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  beware if you attempt to give blood with cpap mask rubbing sleepybones 7 1,576 07-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  BEWARE Snake Oil Salesmen! jsielke 2 1,482 11-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  New member, test results today, anything I need beware? awoodby 12 2,921 03-09-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Beware of children! Possum 20 4,462 01-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Last Post: GPSMapNut
  For us totally in the dark noobs... FLcracker 5 2,910 10-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Last Post: herbm
  Beware of Private Message (PM) Solicitations SuperSleeper 7 3,543 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Bompa

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.