Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Normal Snoring
RE: Normal Snoring
(03-08-2012, 10:48 PM)Cutter Wrote: I think that the actual medical term is mask flatulence. Maybe you have heard of that term.

Yes, that's a much less graphic term, I suppose... okay, I guess I'll use "mask flatulence" from now on instead of mask farts.

Thanks Cutter for helping me to be more civilized. Bigwink Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 10:28 PM)lesdavdel Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 02:24 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 02:12 PM)zonk Wrote: Snoring is not normal with CPAP, sometimes mask fart mistaken as snoring.

Too-funny Dielaughing

Never heard that medical term before. GoodOne

No. I have had a CPAP for 6 years, so I know a little about it. I think there is a difference. A lot of people snore and they don't have sleep apnea.

Well...honestly, snoring *is* apnea. It's the same mechanical action. It's just not causing those other snorers to actually stop breathing often enough, or for long enough, to affect their health (if they stop at all.) If you ever have the opportunity to listen to a room full of snorers, you can hear the stops and starts etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 10:09 AM)CHanlon Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 02:12 PM)zonk Wrote: Snoring is not normal with CPAP, sometimes mask fart mistaken as snoring.

Too-funny Dielaughing

No. I have had a CPAP for 6 years, so I know a little about it. I think there is a difference. A lot of people snore and they don't have sleep apnea.

Well...honestly, snoring *is* apnea. It's the same mechanical action. It's just not causing those other snorers to actually stop breathing often enough, or for long enough, to affect their health (if they stop at all.) If you ever have the opportunity to listen to a room full of snorers, you can hear the stops and starts etc.

I would respectfully disagree- snoring IS NOT apnea. Apnea is a lack of breathing- no air is being moving. By default, if one is snoring, air is moving. Snoring is certainly associated with apnea, but is not apnea.

Back to the orignal post, "what is the difference be 'normal' snoring and apnea?" I would say the difference is if apnea or hypopnea is involved. There are people who snore, but who are breath perfectly fine. The do not have any significant AHI and do not desaturate when snoring. So, to me, the difference is if there is any clincally significant AHI issues or desaturations invovled.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 10:09 AM)CHanlon Wrote:

Too-funny Dielaughing

OK! I guess that is one way to look at it. I did turn my pressure up a bit (from 6 to 7) and my wife said I was better. Actually, the purpose of my original question was to determine if turning up the pressure would help and I think it may have. I don't feel like getting another sleep test for this minor tweaking. I have my annual visit with my Doctor next month and will discuss it with him. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I will go out on a limb here.

Snoring in itself does not necessarily mean one has Sleep Apnea.
Or, they have Sleep Apnea so mildly that a CPAP is not even prescribed.

But, if one does have Sleep Apnea & you either start snoring again or do not stop snoring, chances are you might need a higher pressure.

As lesdavdel reported, raising his pressure from 6 to 7 did seem to help.

As always, if you are in doubt, always consult your Sleep Doctor.

The 3 times in 13+ years that my pressure was increased by my Sleep Doctor was because I reported a very low (sound) level of snoring.
In all 3 cases, my Sleep Doctor just raised my pressure by 2 each time based on that information alone. If "my" Sleep Doctor raises anyones pressure, it is for the minimum of 2.

If one does raise their pressure, "I" would do it no more than 1 at a time.
Then use your machine at that new pressure for a week or more to see whether or not it has any effect. You can always reduce it if needed.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 04:07 PM)Steven Wrote: OK, I will go out on a limb here.

But, if one does have Sleep Apnea & you either start snoring again or do not stop snoring, chances are you might need a higher pressure.

The 3 times in 13+ years that my pressure was increased by my Sleep Doctor was because I reported a very low (sound) level of snoring.
In all 3 cases, my Sleep Doctor just raised my pressure by 2 each time based on that information alone. If "my" Sleep Doctor raises anyones pressure, it is for the minimum of 2.

Then use your machine at that new pressure for a week or more to see whether or not it has any effect. You can always reduce it if needed.

are you speaking of the high number or the low number? for instance mine is 8-12. if i never get to 12, whats the point of raising the high number? just trying to get it clear in my mind.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 04:14 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

are you speaking of the high number or the low number? for instance mine is 8-12. if i never get to 12, whats the point of raising the high number? just trying to get it clear in my mind.

Those 3 increases were all on dumb machines on straight CPAP & not on the Auto I now have.

If one has an Auto, deciphering snoring is easier because the level of snoring is noted & you would probably be hitting at the upper level of your pressure range. If so, "I" would raise the upper level of the Auto pressure range.

This is my 3rd machine

Post Reply Post Reply

Stephen,

Thanks for the input. I agree that we should not increase the pressure much without the Sleep Doctor's concurrence. I think I am OK at "7" and will have a month's worth of experience before I see him in early April. If I am still happy, I would want him to change my prescription so the CPAP provider will also be on-board.

My insurance will pay for a sleep test, but it is a pain!!! In any case, I am glad I am at the low end of the scale!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 04:21 PM)Steven Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 04:14 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

Those 3 increases were all on dumb machines on straight CPAP & not on the Auto I now have.

If one has an Auto, deciphering snoring is easier because the level of snoring is noted & you would probably be hitting at the upper level of your pressure range. If so, "I" would raise the upper level of the Auto pressure range.

now i'm understanding what the snore numbers mean. ours are all mostly 1.00 with occasional 4, well below even our minimum pressures. i guess they could mostly be mask farts and not even snoring.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2012, 05:04 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: now i'm understanding what the snore numbers mean. ours are all mostly 1.00 with occasional 4, well below even our minimum pressures. i guess they could mostly be mask farts and not even snoring.

I don't use SleepyHead as you do, so I can't comment on what it shows for snoring. I use the ResMed ResScan Version 3.16.

Some have reported that the snore loudness shown in the ResScan data can be increased by merely dragging the hose along your pillow, etc., etc.

So, I would not be alarmed with some limited snoring noted, especially if all of the other numbers are great.
It might not be snoring at all.

This is my 3rd machine

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 254 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,695 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.