Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Normal Snoring
Normal Snoring
My wife is starting to be bothered by my snoring which I don't think is the sleep apnea type. I am aware I am doing it and I don't think I actually stop breathing.

I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. Is "normal snoring" a problem even when the CPAP is preventing sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Normal Snoring
(03-08-2012, 08:24 AM)lesdavdel Wrote: My wife is starting to be bothered by my snoring which I don't think is the sleep apnea type. I am aware I am doing it and I don't think I actually stop breathing.

I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. Is "normal snoring" a problem even when the CPAP is preventing sleep apnea?

welcome to the forum.

yes people snore with the cpap. i don't know what to do about it or to differentiate normal or apnea snoring. i didn't know there was a difference.

you do stop breathing at least an average of 5 times each hour. 5 is the cutoff for getting or not getting a cpap.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
What model of CPAP do you have? It should say "REMstar blahblah" near the display. What does it say there?

If you were given a good CPAP, you can check your data to see if your snoring is causing problems.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring is not normal with CPAP, sometimes mask fart mistaken as snoring.
Try turn ramp and FLEX off (if using) probably not required at your pressure (6) see if can make it any better.
If you really snore and no leakage then something isn't right see your doctor may be pressure need adjustment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 02:12 PM)zonk Wrote: Snoring is not normal with CPAP, sometimes mask fart mistaken as snoring.

Too-funny Dielaughing

Never heard that medical term before. GoodOne
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 02:12 PM)zonk Wrote: Snoring is not normal with CPAP, sometimes mask fart mistaken as snoring.
Try turn ramp and FLEX off (if using) probably not required at your pressure (6) see if can make it any better.
If you really snore and no leakage then something isn't right see your doctor may be pressure need adjustment.

sleepyhead has a graph for snoring. we both see where we have done some (not alot of) snoring on the graph. i have heard my wife lightly snoring at times.

last night hers said snoring 95% and max 1.00. the graph showed 7 episodes at 1.00.

last night mine said max 2.74. the graph shows one episode at 1.00 and one episode at 4.00.

what does this really mean? how much is too much? is there an acceptable level or is any snore at all not normal?
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 02:27 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:

sleepyhead has a graph for snoring. we both see where we have done some (not alot of) snoring on the graph. i have heard my wife lightly snoring at times.

last night hers said snoring 95% and max 1.00. the graph showed 7 episodes at 1.00.

last night mine said max 2.74. the graph shows one episode at 1.00 and one episode at 4.00.

what does this really mean? how much is too much? is there an acceptable level or is any snore at all not normal?
Normal when don,t get bruises on my back and that is better marker than SH snoring graph.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 01:39 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(03-08-2012, 08:24 AM)lesdavdel Wrote: My wife is starting to be bothered by my snoring which I don't think is the sleep apnea type. I am aware I am doing it and I don't think I actually stop breathing.

welcome to the forum.

yes people snore with the cpap. i don't know what to do about it or to differentiate normal or apnea snoring. i didn't know there was a difference.

you do stop breathing at least an average of 5 times each hour. 5 is the cutoff for getting or not getting a cpap.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the snoring as I wake up and don't think I am stopping breathing. I have been on a CPAP for 6 years. I just got a full face mask and will try that. Also, I will tweak the pressure up a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 02:24 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

Too-funny Dielaughing

No. I have had a CPAP for 6 years, so I know a little about it. I think there is a difference. A lot of people snore and they don't have sleep apnea.

I am snoring loud enough to bother my wife and I don't think I have breathing interruptions. I just don't know if upping the pressure will help "normal snoring". I think I am going to go ahead and try it at 7 and switch over to a full face mask.

Fall back is getting my wife some ear plugs!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2012, 02:24 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:

Too-funny Dielaughing

I think that the actual medical term is mask flatulence. Maybe you have heard of that term.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,692 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.